Advice for choosing the right 28mm lens for landscape photography?

Peter K

Advertisement (gone after registration)

21 hours ago, LeicaR10 said:

The Leica 24mm Elmar f/3.8 is IMO, the most excellent M lens for landscape photography.   The lens has amazing resolution from corner to corner, nearly flat field curvature, excellent color and one of the best M lenses.  Albeit Leica only recently discontinued the lens along with several others, the 24 Elmar renders landscapes unlike any other.

Can’t agree more. It’s practically glued to my M10.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, astrostl said:

Yeah, even seeing the entire 28mm frameline set in one go is tough for me with glasses.

Problem solved: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/361531-REG/Zeiss_1365_664_Viewfinder_ZI_for_25mm.html

I have a couple Zeiss Ikon viewfinders and they are noticeably brighter, clearer, and better than the Leica ones, short of going to the frankenfinder which I haven’t tried. You simply focus with the rangefinder (or zone/hyper focus) and then frame with the external viewfinder. Or there’s also the visoflex which also works great.

1 hour ago, Peter K said:

So both of the Leica lenses would serve me well with regard to focal length. I will have to give it a second thought...

Choice of focal length is another question as its very much a personal preference thing. Its well worth wading through your photos to build up an idea of which focal length is best suited to yourself and your photography. Only you can decide which you finally prefer.

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Julius Yls said:

Hi Peter, I am agreed with most of comment here. I have using 28mm Elmarit for many occasion during travel and it's an extremely sharp and versatile lens for travel and landscape. Good choice!

Julius

Hi Julius,

Thanks for the comment. Much appreciated. It’s good to hear about your good experiences with this lens.

I found a good deal for the Elmarit and bought it last week. And judging from the first few test exposures, I will be very happy with this lens.

- Peter.

• Like 3