Jump to content

Advice for choosing the right 28mm lens for landscape photography?


Recommended Posts

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a question about choosing the right 28 mm M lens for landscape photography. If it has been asked in other posts already, I apologise in advance.

Background
I have decided to buy a 28mm for my M240. It will be used for landscape photography almost exclusively.

For the first time in my life, I am leaning towards an Elmarit ASPH. However, I always have this nagging inner voice telling me, that Summilux and Summicron are the only ways to go no matter the situation.

So before buying, I want to make sure that I will not be compromising on any key aspects important to me with an Elmarit. And since I live in a place where trying different lenses before buying is not an easy alternative, I turn to all you skilled Leica experts in here for advice.

My needs
I will be shooting at apertures between f/8 - f/11 most of the time. And I will only rarely be focusing on objects very close. So I am not that concerned about bokeh (which I guess is not that relevant for a wide-angle lens anyway).

The same thing goes for color rendering, since I’m shooting digital and will be postprocessing the RAW files anyway.

However, I am very interested in achieving good sharpness from corner to corner. And I am also concerned about the handling of lens flare.

Question
Do you think the Elmarit ASPH will be the right choice for my purpose? Or will the 28mm Cron or Lux in any of their incarnations perform noticeably better under the above circumstances?

Reading lots of reviews, both the Cron and the Lux obviously outperforms the Elmarit for low light situations. But will there be differences in image quality, sharpness and flare handling when stopping down to f/8 - f/11?

Any input will be much appreciated. Thanks!

- Peter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For Landscape at f/11, the Elmarit is a good option. Personally I have the Cron, which is in my opinion the best compromise as a general "all in 1" lens

Hi Julius, Thanks for the comment. Much appreciated. It’s good to hear about your good experiences with this lens. I found a good deal for the Elmarit and bought it last week. And judging from the first few test exposures, I will be very happy with this lens. - Peter.

Can’t agree more. It’s practically glued to my M10.

Posted Images

Hello Peter,

to begin, I think the Elmarit-M 28mm asph. is a "winner".

I have( before the 2.8/28 asph.) the Summicron-M asph. 28 very good lens compact and light for a f/2 lens, but in use I barely see difference from f/4 upward.

And the 2.8 lens hides less the OVF than f/2 lens, if that is important, but in LV use not relevant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Peter K said:

.......But will there be differences in image quality, sharpness and flare handling when stopping down to f/8 - f/11?

 

Probably no practical difference between any of the Leica M mounts lenses that you'd notice in a print.  The 28mm summaron-m might show slightly more vignetting at those apertures than the elamarit-asph, summicron asphs or the summilux.  You, what you point your camera at and your technique are likely to have the most influence on the outcome.   

I have both the 28mm summicron asph v1 and the 28mm summaron-m.  The summicron asph looks to be the better lens in almost every way on paper, but the summaron-m is the lens I use the most  by far for landscape and travel. At the level of the Leica M lenses you are interested in, stressing over mtf charts, 'sharpness', 'colour rendering' (very little to do with the lens in a print workflow) is firmly in the realm of Numpties.

For your intended use the elmarit asph would be near perfect, especially if you know how a tripod works.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I concur with the Elmarit. Excellent performer. However, given your specific need, why not consider this lens https://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/m-lenses/10573-leica-summaron-m-28mm-f-56.html  I have no connection with the vendor. Search for earlier discussions on this forum by actual users of the Summaron.  Do not be a slave to the seduction of a Summicron or Summilux, where there is no need for speed or shallow depth of field.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

I have( before the 2.8/28 asph.) the Summicron-M asph. 28 very good lens compact and light for a f/2 lens, but in use I barely see difference from f/4 upward.

And the 2.8 lens hides less the OVF than f/2 lens, if that is important, but in LV use not relevant.

Thanks! It's good to hear that there is no major difference from f/4 and beyond since that is where I will be most of the time with this lens.

Elmarit still seems to be the right choice for me, I guess.

Thanks,
Peter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, SiggiGun said:

For Landscape at f/11, the Elmarit is a good option. Personally I have the Cron, which is in my opinion the best compromise as a general "all in 1" lens

Cool, thanks. Yeah, the Cron will definitely be better for more purposes than the Elmarit.

But it's good to know, that you find the Elmarit to be a good choice for landscape. I think I will go with that one.

Thanks,
Peter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

Probably no practical difference between any of the Leica M mounts lenses that you'd notice in a print.  The 28mm summaron-m might show slightly more vignetting at those apertures than the elamarit-asph, summicron asphs or the summilux.  You, what you point your camera at and your technique are likely to have the most influence on the outcome.   

I have both the 28mm summicron asph v1 and the 28mm summaron-m.  The summicron asph looks to be the better lens in almost every way on paper, but the summaron-m is the lens I use the most  by far for landscape and travel. At the level of the Leica M lenses you are interested in, stressing over mtf charts, 'sharpness', 'colour rendering' (very little to do with the lens in a print workflow) is firmly in the realm of Numpties.

For your intended use the elmarit asph would be near perfect, especially if you know how a tripod works.

Thanks for your elaborate answer. Much appreciated!

I agree, technical specs on paper are not always worth stressing over when making decisions like these (sometimes they are, of course).

Judging from all the answers above, I am almost certain that the Elmarit ASPH will be the right choice for me. And yes, I know how to use a tripod 🙂

Thanks,
Peter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wda said:

I concur with the Elmarit. Excellent performer. However, given your specific need, why not consider this lens https://www.reddotcameras.co.uk/m-lenses/10573-leica-summaron-m-28mm-f-56.html  I have no connection with the vendor. Search for earlier discussions on this forum by actual users of the Summaron.  Do not be a slave to the seduction of a Summicron or Summilux, where there is no need for speed or shallow depth of field.

Thanks for the tip. To be honest, I wasn't aware of the Summaron. I will give it a closer look.

And yes, I am trying to free myself from the eternal seduction of both Summicron and Summilux. Though I have to admit, it's hard sometimes 🙂

Thanks,
Peter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kwesi said:

Hi Peter K,

the 28/2 v2 (11672) was re-designed specifically to deal with sharpness at the corners. I do own this lens and highly recommend it.

Thanks for your answer. That is good to know, since corner sharpness in landscape photography is one of my main concerns.

Do you think it will also make a visible difference when stopping down to around f/8 - f/11? Being a Canon user for many years, I do not yet have that much experience with Leica lenses and how they behave.

Thanks again,
Peter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is the version 1  28 2.8 ASPH.  Beautiful lens .  Current version 2 comes with a big fat hood, a design which I was pleased to dispense with  when I sold my Pentax Spotmatics.   

To me Leica is about small camera.  I see no point in my Nikons with giant lenses.  I use them as appropriate, but that is becoming less.    All the new Leica glass seems to be fast and big  with HIGH cost.  My 90 4.0 macro is wonderful and does what I want.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the cron V1 with clip on hood (which I don't use), that seem to flare when there's light source just outside of the edge, sometimes when the light is too strong it'll result in rather big purple blotch. But even wide open that thing renders razor sharp image, just not edge to edge sharp. Shooting portraits with it even if it's not ultra shallow depth of field, the way the subject popped right out of the slightly blurred background is quite phenomenal for a 28mm, almost like a cut out.

Since you're mainly using it for stopped way down, the elmarit is a no brainer, since you'll be giving up a lot of things for one extra stop of light. Though there was a recent discussion about the older pre-asph elmarits having less clinical rendering which you may want to have a look.

Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, tobey bilek said:

Mine is the version 1  28 2.8 ASPH.  Beautiful lens .  Current version 2 comes with a big fat hood, a design which I was pleased to dispense with  when I sold my Pentax Spotmatics.   

To me Leica is about small camera.  I see no point in my Nikons with giant lenses.  I use them as appropriate, but that is becoming less.    All the new Leica glass seems to be fast and big  with HIGH cost.  My 90 4.0 macro is wonderful and does what I want.   

Hi Tobey,

I wasn't aware of this difference between version 1 and version 2 of the 2.8 ASPH. That is good to know before I make the decision.

Thanks,
Peter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thing that I planned to do for some time now,

your post led me to take snaps of the three 28mm from Leica for comparing their sizes

Summaron-M 5.6  ...Elmarit-M asph. 2.8 ...Summicron-M asph. first models for these last two ( I don't have the present time lenses )

 

 

 

taken with

M262 with Summicron DR closest distance , wide open

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you printing (and how big?) or pixel peeping?  Ergonomics, handling and VF experience (blockage?) can also matter.  I resolve these matters by trying the lens(es) (demo, rent, etc) and making prints.  Generally, stopped down, you can save your money, from an IQ perspective.

Jeff

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
Quote

...I have decided to buy a 28mm for my M240. It will be used for landscape photography almost exclusively...

...I will be shooting at apertures between f/8 - f/11 most of the time. And I will only rarely be focusing on objects very close...

Given those factors, the 28mm Elmarit ASPH would be an excellent choice.

The 28 Elmarit has a lower price than the 28 Summicron or 28 Summilux.  That is not because it has lower image quality or lower build quality.  It is because a 28mm f/2.8 ASPH lens is much less difficult to design create and produce at the level of image quality and build quality that Leica adheres to than a 28mm f/2.0 ASPH or a 28mm f/1.4 ASPH lens is.

If you decide on the Elmarit, I would recommend the current production version (#11677) made in Germany or the made in Portugal version (#11711). 

 

Edited by Herr Barnack
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Dennis
      Hello! I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like there is no generic open thread for landscape photography. There are a couple of Australian and New Zealand landscape threads, sunsets. And many specific threads containing the word "landscape." But I didn't find one more generic like the "I like film" thread (to say one).
      So, I thought it was interesting to have all an inspiring open thread for general landscape photography. Admins, please correct me if I'm wrong, edit the title. I'm IN anyway to be inspired by landscape photos taken with M cameras (digital and film). 🙂
       
      I start with this picture I took yesterday during the super full moon night. It was very bright.
      M10 + 2.8/35 ZM + tripod
      iso 1600 - 8 sec - f/4 

      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Julius Yls
      Sharing my short blog about taking Leica ME and Elmarit 28mm across Arctic circle in the middle of winter. Hope you all enjoy it 
      https://juliusyls.com/blog/2020/12/15/across-arctic-circle-with-28mm-elmarit

      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Francesco1993
      Hey guys, I’ve just purchased this lens for a good price. To make the long story short, it has some bubbles on the back element. I don’t have now the possibility to shoot on a digital camera but I will wait the results of my films soon. 
      do you know what those bubbles are?
      I think that I will send this lens to a repair center ASAP.

      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By robotography
      Hi all,
      a while ago I've bought a used Elmarit-M 90mm (latest version) for which I found a few days ago by accident that the aperture blades do not fully disappear when the lens is used wide open. Consequently, the bokeh balls aren't circular, but have a more "saw blade"-like shape. If I turn the aperture ring beyond 2.8, which is possible by a tiny bit, the blades retract a bit more, but never completely (cp. attached images). 
      As I wasn't sure whether this is by design or a defect, I have contacted Leica Support and they tell me that this is the normal behaviour, but offer a CLA for the lens nonetheless.
      Could any other owner please check with his or her lens?
      Thanks in advance,
      Rolf

      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
×
×
  • Create New...