Paranol S: New Rodinal, push processing times

fatihayoglu

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

So I’m guessing due to Brexit, Rodinal is not coming to UK and out of stock everywhere. Paranol S is supposedly same as Rodinal, I’m assuming old Rodinal as the developing times are different.

So as Paranol is not widely used, the push processing developing times are not widely available so I’m wondering what factor you’d use for push processing, say 1x 2x and 3x. I use mainly HP5, K400, F400 films.

Cheers,

Fatih

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On 4/11/2021 at 1:55 PM, fatihayoglu said:

Yes, can do that. How can I find 1 push and 2 push timings with a single roll? Any practical way to do it?

I'm not sure. Perhaps shooting a static gray card and using a densitometer to compare results and mathematically relating those to the Rodinal data. Personally, if it was me, I'd arbitrarily guess at a factor and do any adjustments in post processing, given B&W films have a lot of latitude, or at worst plan on stand processing the roll - several proponents claim it works, but in all honesty I've never tried it..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another recommendation I got, which sounds very logical actually, is to calculate of % difference between Rodinal and Paranol base developing times and then apply that % to increased Rodinal processing times which I’ve used to use for push processing.

Yes 1+100 works ok with Rodinal, I might give a try to Paranol as well.