Leica Luxus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, some of you may have seen that at the 38th sale by the famous "Leitz Photographica Auction" in Vienna
a rare Leica I Luxus Mod.A will be offered for auction (N°48402/ 12.06.2021). It will be interesting to see the current state of 
the market for such a camera. The last Leica I Luxus Mod.A to be sold was on 24/11/2012 for N°28692 sold for $ 1,326,000.                    

Bests regards,

Pierre

https://www.leitz-auction.com/auction/de/kamera/auktion38/article/262.htm

Edited by jaapv
user request
  • Like 1

Hello Pierre,
The estimate for this luxus is clearly below the last sales, is it to attract buyers or is it because the market has calmed down a bit in recent years? At the last sale at Wetzlar the prices were a bit below the estimates even for exceptional items...For luxus, the years 2010/2012 were a time when collectors, investors were ready to put a lot of dollars thinking about resale...But since the new sales have not proved that it was safe!

Philippe

Who bought those cameras in 1930? As I understand, Leica wasn't yet an established household name and the collector base must have been very small, if even existing at the time.

Given this is in "exceptionally good condition" I assume that this means that other Luxus samples surfacing for sale is not - as in actually used?

Who would actually use a gold plated camera in the 1930's? Did they have rappers back then ;) ?

Edited by nitroplait
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, nitroplait said:

Who bought those cameras in 1930? As I understand, Leica wasn't yet an established household name and the collector base must have been very small, if even existing at the time.

Given this is in "exceptionally good condition" I assume that this means that other Luxus samples surfacing for sale is not - as in actually used?

Who would actually use a gold plated camera in the 1930's? Did they have rappers back then ;) ?

I know of a case where such a camera went on a world tour as a demo model, including to Shanghai and back. The postmen must have been very trustworthy back then.

William

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some have reported that it was not excluded that some Leica Luxus could have been offered to dignitaries of the time and therefore used.
The Leica I Luxus Mod.A No.37262 has two neck straps. Why this modification if it is not for use?🤔
One of the most unlikely destinations is certainly the Leica IId Luxus No.98248 which was delivered to Tirana, Albania.😏
Indeed, the Leica I Mod.A Luxus No.34810 had a long trip, delivered for the first time in Cologne (Germany), a few days later in Berlin (Germany) and finally a few months later in Shanghai (China).😏
Presumably other discoveries will raise other questions.

Pierre

34 minutes ago, dubois pierre said:

Yes Philippe you are right I alerted Andreas Schweiger (Leitz Photographica Auction) a few days ago that there was an error in the description and the evaluation of the Leica Luxus.

Pierre

Look out for the Leica No 165 belonging to Ernst Leitz Jr which is also up for auction. The family silver is being sold along with the family gold. I expect this one to fetch a very high sum, maybe even into 7 figures.

William

vor 20 Stunden schrieb PG Black nickel:

I dreamed or the estimate of the luxus has increased to 200 k€! while it was at 80/100 k€?

they had error on their web page, description of Snapshot Leica was linked, was like this

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I notified responsible person in Vienna same day Pierre made his posting

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, despite its very good original condition this Leica Luxus I Mod.A 48402 did not raise the biddings at the auction of 12/06/2021 in Vienna. This sale shows a clear decline of the offers for this model.

https://leicaluxus.monsite-orange.fr/

Auction closed!
12 June 2021 11:00

Hammer price (Incl. buyer's premium) 264000€

• Thanks 1

Well... maybe I'm just a poor guy... but I still think that 264.000 Euro is A LOT of money...  😁

Sure Luigi, but a similar device sold for $1,326,000 in 2012, bids for the Leicas Luxus peaked until 2013. So the drop is significant. A difference of $1,000,000 !!!!, enough to buy a nice house, a sports car and go to dinner at a nice restaurant..🤓