Full frame cropped view?

This is the main problem I have with the Q2. Having the frame lines is a tribute to the M and rangefinders in general, but it is not practical at all. And while it may be possible to get used to it at 35mm, it is always going to be completely unusable at 75 mm; it’s like looking through a peep hole and you cannot compose. I am all for tradition and heritage, but I am also (even more so) for practicality; Leica should offer the alternative to use it one way of another and leave it to users to choose. 

• Like 3

This topic has come up a few times before. I agree with you that the current behavior isn't practical for the 75mm. Having an option to change the behavior would be most welcome. Please send an enhancement request to Leica to help upvote the prior requests from other folks.

• 1 year later...

OH, YOU DEFINITELY CAN. 

*BUT* I CAN'T RE-FIGURE IT OUT, THOUGH. 

I bring hope.

So, just got the Q2 ,,Reporter"... Like my music gear, there's always compound (shift) functions. So, toying around with button combo's, I have indeed found and immediately lost, the combination of buttons to 'full screen a crop'. It's a combo of holding the crop button with the *shutter button(*i think) at the crop you like. Can't remember if it was at the same time, or one before the other. Or, hold one, then the other, then release both at the same time, I don't know. 

I tried stepping up another crop, to 'zoom' in more, and accidentally reset it, being all exited that I actually found it out. Still haven't found it. BUT, IT EXISTS! Less buttons means a better weather seal, but more compound actions to make up for it.

I'm also hoping I didn't have it in macro/video, witch would be rather lame and silly if it only functioned on one of those modes.

Will update when I figure it out. So keep checking. Might not get to it untill this weekend.

... I WILL UPDATE ... or, beat me to it! So I can take photos of my sister's new batch of puppies, with more options.

Cheers.

I'm pretty sure that you can't see the enlarged crop area. Are you sure you don't have "Auto Review" set and were looking at the playback of the last capture. If you are in a +JPG mode then you do see the cropped image when reviewing.

• 4 months later...

This is what I asked Leica (fear request) for the next update:

I normally shoot in RAW. 
If I want to use the zoom (crop) options of my Leica Q2 I have to set the camera to RAW plus JPG. This results in extra ’jpeg-negatives’ which I do hardly ever use. 
It would be very handy if the JPG version is only created if I press the zoom-button. If I shoot in the standard 28 mm situation I do not need JPG’s. 
In detail: if the zoom/crop button is pressed while I shoot in RAW the camera adds a JPG negative (zoomed/cropped) to the RAW. If the zoom button is not pressed the camera stays in RAW only making RAW negatives and no JPG’s.
Leica replied that it was added to their 'Wishlist' (my word).

The raws are tagged with the crop information, it may be that their raw processor does not support those tags and thus doesn’t show the cropped raw.  I know that Lightroom does as I use it frequently when cropping down to the 35 lines.  I think C1 does apply the crops to raws as well - I should test that. 

I find the cropped raw irritating. The first thing I do in LR is to remove it! If I’m in a hurry when shooting, I often forget to uncrop, so my first thought when seeing a photo in LR is “why did I take that?", until I remove the crop. 

I still like the crop feature while shooting, as it helps with framing, and with exposure and focus control. 

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1