Anyone Use Cotton Camera Harnesses?

Priaptor

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Planning for some long hikes this summer and would like to take my SL2 with 24-90 (considering 90-280 as well). I want access to the camera quickly and was thinking about some of the Cotton harnesses.  Hikes are one dayers and no overnighters or camping. 

Anyone have any experience with these?

Thanks

Never heard of them but it seems many people are happy with the Peak Design Capture Camera Clip for hiking with a backpack. Personally, I never feel the need for such things. I hang my camera strap across my body (diagonal) and this keeps it from bouncing around when I’m in the mountains. I’ve hiked thousands of km with my M cameras doing this and never had a problem. My general rule of thumb is that if I need to use my hands (or ice axe) because the terrain is steep/loose/dangerous enough, then the camera goes in my backpack. Otherwise, it’s on a strap across my body.

Also, I REALLY hope the harness is not made of cotton. It would be terrible if it ever got wet.

Edited by beewee
  • Like 1

I have the PD Capture Clip. I tried it with a M240 + Elmarit-M 28mm Asph, and that worked but was too heavy. I have used it with the CL and 18-56 zoom. It worked and it was OK-ish, but you always knew it was there, a weight in the wrong place, on your left chest. It was never "tuck it away and forget about it till you need it quickly". I don't have a better solution for long hikes - perhaps some sort of holster option? But that might interfere with the straps of a backpack. My current practice is to keep a Fogg shoulder bag hanging at the front of the hip, but that is not ideal, though the camera is easy to access. Since the last trip I have a smaller Fogg bag (Soprano) which might be better, but spare lenses would have to go in the backpack. We're off to the Lake District in May, so I'll try that then.

On 4/8/2021 at 7:26 PM, beewee said:

Never heard of them but it seems many people are happy with the Peak Design Capture Camera Clip for hiking with a backpack. Personally, I never feel the need for such things. I hang my camera strap across my body (diagonal) and this keeps it from bouncing around when I’m in the mountains. I’ve hiked thousands of km with my M cameras doing this and never had a problem. 

This mirrors my experience. I use a 1” wide leather strap attached to the camera with nylon webbing in the same way as the Leica strap. This works much better than the original strap as it’s easier to slide across the shoulder when the camera is in use.  With the SL2 the only problem comes if you’re going over stiles or scrambling on rocky slopes when there’s can be a concern that the lens hood on the 24-90 might bang against something  but it’s never been a big issue. 

5 hours ago, chris_tribble said:

This mirrors my experience. I use a 1” wide leather strap attached to the camera with nylon webbing in the same way as the Leica strap. This works much better than the original strap as it’s easier to slide across the shoulder when the camera is in use.  With the SL2 the only problem comes if you’re going over stiles or scrambling on rocky slopes when there’s can be a concern that the lens hood on the 24-90 might bang against something  but it’s never been a big issue. 

I’ve broken a lens filter on the front of my VE 24-90 SL hiking with a short rock scramble using just a sling. Thankfully the lens was fine.

I considered using a MindShift Gear Outbound Camera Holster 30 instead but haven’t got it yet. Another solution would be keeping the strap on and using the PD Capture Clip mentioned by LocalHero1953 on to fasten the camera to ones belt or pack waist strap. This would prevent it from swinging forward when bending over rocks trees etc.

• Like 1