Do you use/need >$1000 tripod?

Einst_Stein

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Carrying tripod with Leica M, CL, TL, or Q  are both evil and sinful. The only Leica legal to have a tripod is among SL and S series.

I confess I have a couple of cheap tripods. I wonder who in the Leica world would use tripods over $1000, such as Gitzo.

I had two Gitzo before. One is the half height 0001 series, the other is a very heavy one that requires a mule. Those were when Gitzo still had a pin in the leg/head connection. It is so painful to use. I can never tie the head tightly because of that stupid pin. Since then all my tripods are less than $200 cheap stuffs. Needless to say, I have never been really happy with any one, except a short one almost tabletop dedicated as a copy stand. 

I have a 3 legged things that the specs says capable of weight load over 66LBs, it is light, and reasonably stable. But the problem is in its "toes" at the end of the leg. It is so easy to get lost. I have bought a package with 6 of that, I use glue to keep then stay on the leg, and I now have running out of that. I have a Field Optics Research short tripod that I used as copy stand. This one seems very reliable, stable, and reasonable light weight. I wonder if the slightly bigger one (load capacity 40lbs, 65in high, folded to 18in, weigh slightly less than 3lbs), would serve me well, but before i make the move, I want to know would a tripod in the Leica price class makes more sense.

So, please tell me, with your direct experience,  should I get a expensive tripod with  price > $1000 such as $1700? For your reference, the biggest set I have is SL + 90-280mm.

I don’t use tripods often but I do have a couple Gitzo legs kicking around including a 2-series mountaineer, 1-series traveler, monopod, and a mini tripod. My biggest lens is the Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS. The 2-series mountaineer with a RSS BH-40 works well enough on something like a SL2 + 90-280 without any additional aids. In my case, I used it extensively with a 70-200/2.8. I can get by with the 300/2.8 on my 2-series but I normally prefer adding a Wimberley Sidekick which turns the tripod head into a gimbal and this is stable up for daytime shooting with a 300/2.8 + 2x extender. If I were to stack a 300/2.8 + 2x + 1.4x extender on it, it becomes a bit twitchy and you’d want to use a remote trigger and maybe even electronic shutter. For something of this magnification, you’d be better served with a 3-series or 5-series tripod from Gitzo or RRS along with a proper gimbal head.

So in general, I think the 2-series is a good balance between lightweight and rigidity but it may depend on what you want to do with it. Some applications like multi-shot is more demanding and wind can make it much more challenging in which case you may need a more sturdy tripod than the 2-series. Otherwise, if you’re not using multi-shot and just shooting at high magnification in lower light, good long lens technique will get you a quite far with a 2-series.

Examples of long lens techniques include:

• Avoid extending the center column if not needed
  • Avoid extended thinner leg sections if not needed
  • Keeping your camera balanced over the head with foot plates
  • Ensuring you lock down the knobs on the tripod head
  • Using remote trigger if possible
  • If using a SLR, raising the mirror before taking the shot
  • Using electronic shutter if it makes sense to do so
  • Adding some weight to the system by hanging a bag on the center column (don’t let it swing of course) to make the legs more stable
  • Resting your hand on top of the lens to dampen any shock from the shutter or mirror slap
  • If it’s really windy, setting up in a slightly more sheltered location or keeping lower to the ground and splaying out the legs a bit more while reducing the number of leg extensions used
Edited by beewee

Not sure what you are using a tripod/head for (low light, kinetic, etc).  I use a Benro 75mm Hi-Hat with a Manfrotto 505HD fluid head.  For me it is ideal.  Small enough to carry in a small bag or backpack; very quick to pull out and start using.   I use mine mainly for motion work, but it’s great for very low light/night scenes.  I can set it up on the hood of a vehicle, tree, rock, garbage can, etc.  It has different feet to use depending on the environment.   

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Gitzo was the standard 30 years ago, this days with carbon fiber there are more option. My Gitzo is still in use 30 years later.

If you don't use it much  you can just get a less expensive one and replace it more often. I have probably 7 of different brands  and sizes for different applications

the first consideration is how much weight it has to hold. 2nd should be how high you need to go.

My favorite are in this order

RRS

feisol  - affordable and real big options

Colorado tripod

Gitzo  I mostly use the aluminum  legs here for architectural , long exposure. carbon fiber are often to light and have vibration .

manfrotto is nothing exiting but they work

Benro has some good models, but the feed and robbers come of after a few months.

ArcaSwiss L bracket on every camera and RRS head most of the time. ArcaSwiss head for architectural .

Does anyone have Peak Design compact carbon fiber tripod, and can it carry SL with some bigger lens well? I like its size, but I'm hesitating to buy it because I think the SL with 24-90 or 90-280 lens would be an overload for this tiny tripod. Any experiences?

I bought the Gitzo 0545T, the smallest available, for travel, but I now use it with a small Markins ballhead mostly for a portable static video kit that I carry on a bike (with the Sigma fp, so no great load there). Despite the relative thinness of the legs it is remarkably stable, and it fits inside my backpack.

I also have a Benro C1970F which is light for its size, but I bought it mainly for the versatility of the centre column, which can be mounted horizontally (e.g. for overhead still lifes). I use it mainly with an Acratec ballhead. I bought it when it was reviewed as 'every bit as good as a Gitzo but at a fraction of the price'. It has no real fail features, but its specified load limit is 'only' 6kg and I suspect the Gitzo 0545 is not far short of it in terms of rigidity. If I was buying again I think I would have gone for a 2-series Gitzo Mountaineer: similar weight and size, no alternately mountable centre column, but thicker legs, much higher load limit and, I suspect much more rigid.

I suspect a major weak link in vibration terms for a camera with a long lens is the neck at the head-to-plate connection, especially with a ballhead. It was one reason for choosing the Acratech head, where the neck is quite thick (certainly compared to my small Markins head).

Back to the OP's question, from my limited observation you pay quite a bit more for a Gitzo tripod that is is in most respects slightly ahead of the rest of the crowd. If you think that is a good argument for not getting a Gitzo, then just remember that you can say the same about Leica. The unanswered question is: do you pay a lot more because marginal gains are costly, or because once you are the best then you can charge a premium?

RRS kit is not readily available this side of the water - certainly not to try before you buy - so I would never consider it.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

I use a Gitzo mountaineer GT2540 carbon for all my landscape at least ten years if not more. Used it in rivers, salt water, dessert and arctic conditions, never let me down. Sturdy and light enough, had two times a small issue (could still use it) but it is so easy to order spare parts. And if you are really in a hurry, you can get it by express within 24h. The design of the peak design looks great to carry in a backpack. So lately I'm thinking of trying the peak design instead of the trustfully Gitzo.

I use a >1000$ tripod on a daily basis. It is the Gitzo GT5541 (Current model is Gitzo GT5543). Bought the central column and video head bowl.
One of best gear purchases I ever made.
I use Leica M in my professional workflow heavily.

4 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

I wonder who in the Leica world would use tripods over $1000, such as Gitzo.

vor 37 Minuten schrieb RBB:

I use a Gitzo mountaineer GT2540 carbon for all my landscape at least ten years if not more. 

Same here - together with an Arca Swiss Monoball P0 I have found my perfect combination of tripod and head and I guess the most sustainable part of my gear in terms of value for money. Holds SL(2) and 90-280mm perfectly. 

Edited by hofo100
  • Like 2

Sounds the general view of expensive tripods is the durability. The stability, portability, and flexibility are mostly similar across price range.  I don't see at all that Gitzo has  better performance (other than the to-be-confirmed durability) that justifies its high cost. I also agree that the carbon model can hardly make much difference in durability. But, the durability is mostly about the little details, such as the rubber twist, the precision of the thread of the center column, the robustness of the junctions of the leg segments, etc.

This matches my observation. Thanks for the confirmation.  

I will go ahead to buy Field Optics Research 6229C. ($290 or $220 depends on with or without head).  FOR's tripods seems very popular among gun shooters, should be strong and durable. 

Edited by Einst_Stein

1 hour ago, hofo100 said:

Same here - together with an Arca Swiss Monoball P0 I have found my perfect combination of tripod and head and I guess the most sustainable part of my gear in terms of value for money. Holds SL(2) and 90-280mm perfectly. 

I use the smaller GT1542, but similar to you I am also using the Monoball P0 head.  The head is wonderful with an Arca-compatible plate like the RRS ones.

Attached together, this set-up fits perfectly into the Gitzo padded bag GC1101 - a convenience that I really like.  This set-up is among the few camera items where I can't consider myself ever wanting to sell.

I have used the GT1542 with my 5x4 film camera and SL2. It seemed to work fine. For multi-shot mode, I did start to wonder if it would always be 100% reliable due to the minimal tolerances of multi-shot. I've now traded in the SL2 for a GFX100S, so the multi-shot concern is a moot point. Again, given the minimal vibration of electronic shutter, my very light tripod seems to work fine with the GFX100S.

If I did get a larger and heavier version - it'd be more to create better security (ie, one nudge and the GT1542 is almost so light it feels like there is a outside risk it can tip), and/or if I needed long exposures, and/or to get extra height (I never use the center column).  I used to own an older-style-leg-lock Gitzo 3-Series "Systematic", and that was phenomenally stable - ie, think not a problem at all for 2 minute exposures on the 5x4 in breezy conditions!

If I was to consider a heavier and more secure tripod, the RRS TFC-34L Mk2 seems to look attractive to me, in that it's heavier and taller, BUT still packs to a more narrow diameter compared to either the Gitzo "Systematic" or RRS "Versa" series.  My Systematic (and presumably the RRS Versa) was noticeably bulkier than a Mountaineer (and presumably RRS Ultralight) due to the wider top plate that creates a very different packed "shape" for the tripod.

If anyone has thoughts on RRS vs Gitzo, and why you like one over the other, I'd love to hear them .......

Edited by Jon Warwick

3 hours ago, hirohhhh said:

Does anyone have Peak Design compact carbon fiber tripod, and can it carry SL with some bigger lens well? I like its size, but I'm hesitating to buy it because I think the SL with 24-90 or 90-280 lens would be an overload for this tiny tripod. Any experiences?

I have the Peak Design but the aluminium version, not the carbon fiber. I haven't used it with a SL but I've used it with a Sony and a 70-200mm without issues.

• Thanks 1

I have the Peak Design Carbon fiber tripod using it mostly with the 24-90. The question for me is: will I take the tripod with me or not on a hike? Because the PD is so light I will take it nearly always with me in my backpack. I use the PD with the Arca Swiss p0 mono ball, together with the Arca Swiss Quicklink set. This way I can disconnect the p0 easily and use it also on my heavier Gitzo, which always lies in the trunk of my car. The Gitzo is too heavy to schlepp around when hiking. Also this way the PD still can be packed in its original bag. 
The longest lens I used the PD with is the apo R 180mm with 2x converter. It works, but always be careful not to extend the legs too far, especially the last legs of the PD are rather thin. 
Is the PD better than the Gitzo? No, of course not: a more robust tripod will always be more stable, but the PD answers my question above positive in this use case.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For hiking and in calm weather I've been using a Gitzo GT2542 T  for the last 9 years. Combined with a Linhof 3-D Levelling Head II and Arca-Swiss-compatible plates it carries my Leica M2 (hardly ever), iPhone 8 (when recording a welcome video clip for my students) or Linhof Master Technika (most of the time) under such conditions. In windy or even stormy weather and closer to home, a Gitzo Series 3 GT3543LS does the 4x5-job. It is very expensive material, yes, but it's also relatively portable and, most important, reliable. I carry either the larger or the smaller tripod on my bicycle, using a König triBag. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

Sounds the general view of expensive tripods is the durability. The stability, portability, and flexibility are mostly similar across price range.  I don't see at all that Gitzo has  better performance (other than the to-be-confirmed durability) that justifies its high cost. I also agree that the carbon model can hardly make much difference in durability. But, the durability is mostly about the little details, such as the rubber twist, the precision of the thread of the center column, the robustness of the junctions of the leg segments, etc.

This matches my observation. Thanks for the confirmation.  

I will go ahead to buy Field Optics Research 6229C. ($290 or $220 depends on with or without head).  FOR's tripods seems very popular among gun shooters, should be strong and durable. 

Most of the comments here have been on measurable matters such as weight, material, durability (failure or not). Vibration and rigidity are not so obviously measurable, so I would be cautious about drawing the conclusion you have without comparing tripods in physical reality, just because not many people here have remarked on it.  

24 minutes ago, norbertnl said:

For hiking and in calm weather I've been using a Gitzo GT2542 T  for the last 9 years. Combined with a Linhof 3-D Levelling Head II and Arca-Swiss-compatible plates it carries my Leica M2 (hardly ever), iPhone 8 (when recording a welcome video clip for my students) or Linhof Master Technika (most of the time) under such conditions. In windy or even stormy weather and closer to home, a Gitzo Series 3 GT3543LS does the 4x5-job. It is very expensive material, yes, but it's also relatively portable and, most important, reliable. I carry either the larger or the smaller tripod on my bicycle, using a König triBag. 

Thank you - a timely post for me as I consider a tripod for a large format camera. As I posted earlier, I have a mid-size, light Benro which has a load capacity of just 6kg. I have used it a few times with my wood field camera: it may be adequate, as the camera+lens are also quite light, but I have looked at the GT2542 as an option. I'm glad to hear it is good for hiking. I am using a Gitzo 3-way fluid head, which is a marvel of engineering and rigidity, and a lot easier than a ballhead for large format.