Summicron 50mm f2 vs Summarit 50mm f2.5

Loomis77

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Morning all

I know there are countless posts on Summicron vs Summarit 50mm lenses but am just curious as to the key differences for a general hobbyist photographer such as myself. Looking at various auction sites, used prices appear to be pretty much the same (£1,600 for both in mint / excellent condition). Is this a good price or should I pay another £400 for a brand new Summicron? 

I currently have a Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 which is great (although slightly annoyingly goes a tiny bit past infinity focusing-wise) and am just curious as to other 50mm lenses. I have read the excellent article in four parts re the net 50mm lenses which is what led me to get the Voigtlander

Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks a lot 

Ben

Hi, Ben,

What body are you using? If Leica, lens coding can be useful. Apart from the mechanical issue with your current lens, ask yourself what aspect of your current lens leaves you wanting more in terms of handling and performance. 

Ben,

My best and short answer would be ...

as decades long Summicron 1 to v 5 (still have those) 5cm/50mm user, now my preference in 50mm is Summarit-M 2.5/50.

It shines on film and digital even at f/2.5 !

Nothing less than Cron ( maybe 10cm "more" on focus 80cm/70cm MFD ), if this is important.

Hello - thanks a lot for your reply. I have an M262. I shoot quite a lot at infinity (would love to do more street photography but rural Oxfordshire does not present too many opportunities) and would like something that (a) does not focus past infinity and (b) has a slightly more defined aperture ring click and (c) would just love to see the colour rendition of either lens.

Thanks again!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

16 minutes ago, Loomis77 said:

Hello - thanks a lot for your reply. I have an M262. I shoot quite a lot at infinity (would love to do more street photography but rural Oxfordshire does not present too many opportunities) and would like something that (a) does not focus past infinity and (b) has a slightly more defined aperture ring click and (c) would just love to see the colour rendition of either lens.

Thanks again!

I have an old and current 50 mm Summicron, used for different purposes. I also have a 75 mm Summarit which is superb. You would be well pleased with either of the two Leica options. 

I agree with a.noctilux in regards to the Summarit 50. I too have the 35m and 50mm and regret Leica's recent decision to cease production of these lenses, though there is I believe an effort from Red Dot Camera to start a petition to to Leica to resurrect the Summarit line, if that's successful I would hope that a 28mm Summarit could be added to the range.

I have various Summicron 50 models, including a v5 bought new maybe 5 years ago. Overall I consider it the best of the "normal" Summicrons (don't have / want the APO). Focus action on the v5 was a bit stiff when new, but has "worn in" and is perfect now - just took some exercising to get it there. I would prefer it to have a focus tab, but it's still great as-is.

I also have the Summarit 2.5 50 and use it more on my M10, partly because I also have the 35 2.5 and the handling is identical, so switching between is transparent. The focus tab and light, fast focusing is nice on these, as is the small size.

So you should be happy with either. However, the 50 Summicron gave Leica much of it's reputation in the 50s & 60s, and many still consider it the "standard" of excellence. If you get a different lens, you'll always wonder what you missed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Loomis77 said:

Morning all

I know there are countless posts on Summicron vs Summarit 50mm lenses but am just curious as to the key differences for a general hobbyist photographer such as myself. Looking at various auction sites, used prices appear to be pretty much the same (£1,600 for both in mint / excellent condition). Is this a good price or should I pay another £400 for a brand new Summicron? 

I currently have a Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 which is great (although slightly annoyingly goes a tiny bit past infinity focusing-wise) and am just curious as to other 50mm lenses. I have read the excellent article in four parts re the net 50mm lenses which is what led me to get the Voigtlander. 

Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks a lot 

Ben

From the other thread, isn't the Nokton a very recent purchase? If I were you, I wouldn't rush out to buy either of the Leica lenses until fully exploring what the Voigtlander can do (it is by all accounts an excellent lens). Is there anything you don't like about it, apart from its ability to focus past infinity?

• Like 1

I also have a very long history with the current Summicron. My first lens on my first Leica M6 in 1994. I now prefer the Summarits as well. Performance is very similar, MTFs are very similar. Except the 2.4 Summarit is smaller, lighter, has a wonderful hood and flairs much less!

If the issue with your Voigtländer 50mm is that it goes slightly beyond infinity, why not just get that fixed? Buying a used lens might not help you with that. I have two current Leica Summicron-M lenses and they focus differently at infinity. In other words, it's not a matter of which brand the lens is from.

• Like 1

Thanks all for your comments. Regarding the points made by @Anbaricand @LarsHP, I am going to be keeping the Voigtlander but was interested in what people think of the other two so that, if and when I look to invest, I will have a good idea as to the better one. In relation to the list of lenses in one of the M262 menus, I presume I just turn this off as the Voigtlander is not listed? 
Thanks again all!

I have seen several M camera users choosing a Leica lens profile for their Voigtländer lenses. In your case, you could choose either the old Summilux or the new for instance. You can even 6-bit code the lens yourself if you want.

Edited by LarsHP

8 hours ago, Loomis77 said:

Morning all

I currently have a Voigtlander 50mm f1.5 which is great (although slightly annoyingly goes a tiny bit past infinity focusing-wise) and am just curious as to other 50mm lenses. I have read the excellent article in four parts re the net 50mm lenses which is what led me to get the Voigtlander. 

Any thoughts welcome!

Thanks a lot 

Ben

It reminds me how we went to the broadcast exhibition in St-Peterburg, Russia. No broadcasting where, but it was more like company retreat. 

One day my colleague from audio department has spend an hour and half explaining something to our booth visitor. At the end visitor told - "thank you, I just happen to bump into this word in newspaper crossword".

Since you have this kind of interest :) it is impossible to explain without generalizing. 

50 2.5 is much modern lens, with better handling. For some. 50 2.5 is much less sterile on bw film. For some.

50 2.5 might have less focus shifts. For some. 

50 2 might give difference between ISO 1600 and 2500. For some :) .

Edited by Ko.Fe.

I cannot compare with Summicron, but I can compare with Summilux.

The first photo of Summilux at 2.8

Full size cam jpg.

https://ibb.co/YhTJ7DP

second Summarit by 2.8

https://ibb.co/fQNnd7m

Here is Summarit in studio at f8:

https://ibb.co/qCtrYM0

Of course Summilux gives smoother bokeh, and is much faster, but for the street I would prefer Summarit - focusing faster with it.

As already said, Summarit is not subject to focus shifting, unlike Summikron (not APO, of course)

If I were you, I would take either Summilux instead of VM, or Summarit in addition to VM 50 / 1.5

Edited by safox

17 hours ago, Loomis77 said:

(b) has a slightly more defined aperture ring click

Not the case of my 50/2.5  must say but it comes perhaps from sample variation. Great little lens otherwise but it can do nasty flare from time to time, in fact at around 10 AM when the sun is outside the frame in my experience. Doing some more shade with the hand can fix the problem though.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

I didnt want to make a new thread since I have somewhat the same question as the original poster. 

I have been shooting a Summarit 50mm f/2.5 on both a M9P and M10, and been very happy with the result. I often shoot at f/2.5 A fee months ago I got a Summicron v5. At first I thought the focus was off but after reading the web I found something about it being softer. That could be the reason why I feel the photos are less sharp/contrasty and/or saturated when shooting wide open.

Unfortunately the only way for me to check the lens is to have it sent to Germany and I just got my 35mm along with a bill of €800, so I don't want to do that just yet. Is this just the difference betweent he lens charactaristica and something I have to accept? I enjoy the Summarit very much, but using it indoor I thought a Summicron might do better:-)

- iau 

Unfortunately, you have left it a bit late to seek redress from the vendor. But the performance of both lenses should be very similar. Frankly, I am not sure why you replicated this focal length. Half a stop is nothing with modern software to play with. As you have proved, the Summarit is no slouch.

I own both lenses. Both are similarly sharp at f/2.8 and on but, to me at least, the charm of the Summicron lies at f/2 where it is a bit softer. Perfect for gentle portraits so f/2 is my favorite aperture on this lens. Now if you're after a sharper lens at all apertures better keep the Summarit as suggested by @wda