Why are the 50mm APO’s and 50mm new Noctilux 1.2 so hard to find in stock?

Wonka

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just curious but I cannot find these two lenses anywhere in stock. I understand the new Noctilux is a recent release and maybe they just have not started shipping much, but where are the APO’s?  The APO’s have been around for nine years or so. Do they only produce them in small quantities? Thanks for any information. 

1 hour ago, Jeff S said:

Popflash appears to have 50 APO Summicron M in stock.

Camera West, too.

Jeff 

Thanks! Now I have to decide if it’s worth $9000!  It was easier when I couldn’t find it in stock!

• Haha 7

56 minutes ago, Wonka said:

What was the deciding factor for you in going with the 50 Summilux instead of the APO?

Rented the APO, took pics and made prints. More flexibility with the faster Summilux, and rendering at my modest print sizes met my needs.  I also preferred its ergonomics to the APO (no fully knurled focus ring and looser aperture detents).  

Later on, however, I was offered a black chrome APO for less than the cost of the standard version. I tried it for a period, and while I preferred the ergonomics and handling to the standard version, I still found nothing to dislike about the Summilux.

All are superb lenses.  For me it came down to practical use within my own shooting and printing workflow.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Any idea how long before the re-issued 1.2/50mm Noctilux will be available in some capacity where you can find one in stock somewhere? A year from now? Two? Six months? 

with Christmas on the horizon, I wouldn’t think it will become any easier to obtain a copy before then. 

Edited by 6bit

July is when Europeans especially Germans take their long holidays. By September I am sure the production will be normal again. I had one Dutch client who told me she had 49 days off a year excluding public holidays. I know not to ask when she’s in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, rtai said:

July is when Europeans especially Germans take their long holidays. By September I am sure the production will be normal again. I had one Dutch client who told me she had 49 days off a year excluding public holidays. I know not to ask when she’s in.

49 days is quite uncommon. Average is around 24-28 days.

• Like 1

I found a 1.2/50mm re-issued Nocti at a camera store in Nevada. It wasn't listed on their site, but a tedious google search revealed the lens was in stock at their store. I called, they acknowledged and it arrives tomorrow. I feel like I hit the jackpot. I never get this lucky!

• Like 1

What a fantastic news! Truly happy for you as I know you will enjoy it (I am spending a few days in Lisbon and it is glued to my camera 😁. It is a beautiful lens). 

Well done and kudos for the determination ☺️👍🏆

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hanno said:

What a fantastic news! Truly happy for you as I know you will enjoy it (I am spending a few days in Lisbon and it is glued to my camera 😁. It is a beautiful lens). 

Well done and kudos for the determination ☺️👍🏆

I would trade the Nocti for a week in Lisbon. 🙂 Enjoy your time there, @Hanno

Edited by 6bit
  • Like 1

Hi, if any one in the UK is looking for a Noctilux 1.2 London Camera Exchange have one in stock listed on their website. https://www.lcegroup.co.uk/New/leica-50mm-f12-noctilux-m-asph_80495.html I got mine from the UK Leica Store, I didn’t have to wait long, I was kept informed when one would appear on their website. I think any wait will be worth it!

• Like 2

On 8/12/2021 at 3:37 PM, 6bit said:

I found a 1.2/50mm re-issued Nocti at a camera store in Nevada. It wasn't listed on their site, but a tedious google search revealed the lens was in stock at their store. I called, they acknowledged and it arrives tomorrow. I feel like I hit the jackpot. I never get this lucky!

VERY interested to hear what you think of it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, trickness said:

VERY interested to hear what you think of it. 

So far, so good. I have only shot a few portraits, but it’s lovely. Not tact sharp wide open, but there is a nice look to the image. It renders just like the examples posted by members. Not pixel peeping makes the experience even better. 

I purchased this lens with skepticism. Could I live with a soft Nocti? The answer so far is yes. 

The lens that came off my camera when this lens went on was the CV 1.2/50mm (incredible lens). 

I’lll be reporting back. I have a few weekend trips planned. 

Side note, I should receive my Nocti F1 Monday. I can’t wait to shoot it…

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, 6bit said:

So far, so good. I have only shot a few portraits, but it’s lovely. Not tact sharp wide open, but there is a nice look to the image. It renders just like the examples posted by members. Not pixel peeping makes the experience even better. 

I purchased this lens with skepticism. Could I live with a soft Nocti? The answer so far is yes. 

The lens that came off my camera when this lens went on was the CV 1.2/50mm (incredible lens). 

Curious about your thoughts between this lens and the 0.95 and the Summi 1.4

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 6:45 AM, 6bit said:

What are your thoughts on the 1.2 Noct vs the 1.2 CV? I own a 50APO and a 1.2 CV nokton as well, so I'm genuinely curious!

• Like 1