Please suggest color adjustments to get the SL2- S color back to M9 and SL color standards

Tom1234

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just some SL2s Dng from DPR I played with pretending I had an M9 file... Colour is so subjective... but here is a few variation of the same thing:

Out of Camera

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Provia 400X profile I tweaked for my M9.

Not kind on skin tone but that's just what you would get with slide in artificial mixed light. You can adjust it to keep the same depth and constrast and more pleasing ornages/red, but I did not do it just because.

Edited by Slender

Portra 400 tweked in "-" (minus on all slider)

Portra 800 as is for M9 (legacy from VSCO)

Altough I do not like Sony cameras, I have to say this sensor seems to perform well and the dedicated user should be able to tweak it to look like another camera as long as you shoot raw.

Leica has travelled quite some distance from 2009 to 2019... You would crank 800 iso with a "sigh" in the M9 days... use 1600 as a last resort and 2500 only to extract a World Press Award winner story at f1.4....

This casual portrait here is 6400.... I sure wouldn't miss that high iso dread from the M9 days... it is fare more fun (and easy) to tweak colors on SL2s files than to make a 1600iso M9 look cleaner.

OOC v PROVIA 400X for M9.

Edited by Slender

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Love the depth of color from the PROVIA 400X especially last shot of pipe.  

I hear you on M9 lack of ISO though amazing color science if you stay within its ISO range maxing out around 800+.   Amazing how near film is the M9 "type" file. 

Were these actual film above or Photoshop "film equivalents"?

Sorry for the lack of clarity before: the pipe shot is also an SL2s dng from DPR website ;) I am happy you like how the output comes out (on your screen, to your taste etc...). I believe the files are quite maleable and you should be able to "thicken" those Leica SL2s DNG color channels to your taste. And this is coming from a recovering Kodak CCD + Slide Film radical Ayatollah  😅

The "profiles" I used are legacy VSCO Lightroom presets tailored then for the M9 CCD and that I refined a bit over the years. If you have both cameras and a color chart as was suggested before (I dont have either actually: only the 47MP SL2 now) you could make your own camera raw profiles to "match" the DNG as is before any retouching like I did.

Just for fun, a pretend "log" rendering of the same image... (with an imaginery Leica SL2s Log look).

Thank you for this fascination.  I guess I will have to spend some hours with the adjustments. 

A Color Story:  One time I spent about 3 hours, probably more, adjusting a color cast on an old windows system, 8 bit (a joke!), but going 1, yes one color number at a time on the three channels adjusting the color 1 increment up and down on RGB… did I say 3 hours at least… I finally got this cool electric-brown color to tint the hole picture, of the landing slot on the Star Wars space ball (spherical) space ship that they blew up at the end of the first movie… my God it was fantastic… a cross between a real and unreal brown… the best screen background that I ever had.  

But who has the time for this daily?  Still I want Leica to loan us their magic wand in the form of color templates… I am not holding my breath…

I still have not recovered from the one by one color adjustment experience… it was worth the time yet when I switched operating systems from Win to Mac, the damn Mac said it was an unrecognizable unix file… it still sits somewhere lost out on my present system.  

• 11 months later...
Posted (edited)

I recently shot two low light events using my M9 and Panasonic S5, which presumably has the same sensor as the SL2-S. It was very difficult to get the S5's images to look anything like the M9, especially at ISO 6400 on the S5 compared with ISO 1600 pushed on the M9. It's easier in better light/lower ISO, but it's a process I will continue to wrangle.

Interestingly, the preset I use for the S5 made the M9's images look muddy and dull, whereas my general M9 preset didn't have a similarly 'brightening' effect on the S5. Much to be done.

Edited by Archiver

• 1 month later...

Another solution might be: https://www.cobalt-image.com

I am using the basic pack for my Leica SL601 and it works very well. Oversaturated colors in LR Adobe Standard are corrected with the Cobalt plugin. The Basic pack is the basis for other color emulations they offer e.g. M9: https://www.cobalt-image.com/product/ccd-fever/ or even film emulation of different films and black and white emulations of several (Leica) camera's.