New (to me) R8 body and like-new used SF 58 on the way

solareslarrave

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Someone in this forum wrote that the Leica R bodies quickly become an obsession... and the fact that their prices are far lower than their M-counterparts (despite the problem with repairs) adds to the flame. Hence, yours-truly just added a second R8 body to the inventory (I checked the SN and it's a 277xxxx), along with an SF-58 flash in box and everything, that's not considered new because it was sold and taken out of the box. Hopefully the loot will be arriving home next week. I'll keep you posted about the way these two devices communicate but if you have suggestions that'll help a lot.

Let me start with a question: do I use the F mode in the R8 when I use the SF-58, or can I use P? Just wondering...

TIA!!

• Like 1

A lot of the time I just use P and set SF-58 to TTL. You can also use A, T, and m. F is mainly for manual (studio) flashes. On the flash TTL, A, and M modes are available, depending on your needs. There is a comprehensive flash section and a summary table of the possibilities in the R8 manual.

I hope this helps

Thanks a lot for your reply! I do the same thing with my Nikon dSLR: with flash, I switch to P (the camera knows better in these cases). I will dig out the manual but, from what I recall, most of it refers to use with a Metz 3501 adaptor.

In any case, I'll let you know. Thanks again!

I have the later R9 and its manual refers to SCA 3502 M3. In addition to the SF 58 I also have a Metz MZ 54 MZ-4 with SCA 3502 M4 and they both behave in the same way. The difference between R8 and R9 is HSS, which is only available on R8.

So far as flash is concerned, as well as rather clunky HSS availability, on the R9, there are very small differences in how the cameras default under extreme light conditions, but sorting out in one's mind exactly what these are from a comparative reading of the two manuals is a bit like reading the first and second drafts of an act of parliament. I mention this only because of the pedant that I am.

vor 13 Stunden schrieb masjah:

So far as flash is concerned, as well as rather clunky HSS availability, on the R9, there are very small differences in how the cameras default under extreme light conditions, but sorting out in one's mind exactly what these are from a comparative reading of the two manuals is a bit like reading the first and second drafts of an act of parliament. I mention this only because of the pedant that I am.

Looking at the manual(s) is actually quite useful in figuring out the a little bit convoluted flash behavior, especially on R9. All matches my observations in practice, both with the SF-58 and Metz 54 MZ-4.  Actually, a second change from R8 to R9, in addition to the HSS,  is that R9 in some cases adjusts the shutter speed according to the 1/f rule, if ROM lenses are used.  

Another pedant, Matti 😀

• Like 1