50 mm Summicron: Dark marks on aperture blades - will it affect image quality?

Peter K

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I bought a 50 mm Summicron secondhand a couple of years ago. Judging from the serial number, I think it was produced around 2001 or so.

Anyway, I have noticed dark marks on some the aperture blades. Judging from the images below, can anyone tell if this is oil or something else? And whether or not it might affect image quality (and thus should be sent for repair)?

I'm not worried about the resell value as I intend to keep it. But I would like it to be in good condition as it is my most used lens on the Leica.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I t probably is a bit of oil. Has the lens been very hot? As long as it operates flawlessly - and it will for a very, very long time- there is no reason to have it attended to or even worry about it.

5 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I t probably is a bit of oil. Has the lens been very hot? As long as it operates flawlessly - and it will for a very, very long time- there is no reason to have it attended to or even worry about it.

Thanks for answering. I appreciate it.

No, it hasn't been very hot in my custody. It may have been before I bought it. I haven't been aware of checking the blades visually before now, so the marks may have been there the whole time.

I'm relatively new to the world of Leica, so I am not able to judge if the lens performs top notch. But I haven't noticed any flaws in image quality or otherwise.

So I will try not to worry too much about it. Just wanted to make sure...

Thanks again.

3 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Hello Peter,

don't worry, I use some lenses with those marks and more and nothing to complain in results.

like this right one used some years in that state

Hi,

Cool, thanks. I appreciate your answer. It's good to hear from other photographers with experiences like yours.

I will put my worries away, then. Just wanted to make sure, as I'm relatively new to the world of Leica. So I just want everything to be right 😊

Thanks again.

Best,
Peter.