Leica M6 left arrow led blinking

Advertisement (gone after registration)

UPDATE

I can't post another message as I've reached my daily limit so I'm writing an update: I used a microfiber cleaning cloth and wiped both the battery compartment and the battery holder and it worked 🙂 I will update the post if it happens again, but hopefully not!

---

Hi everyone,

I've just purchased a Leica M6 (non-TTL version). Yesterday I used it for the first time, and the light meter worked perfectly. A day later, the only thing the light meter does it to show the left arrow constantly blinking/flashing. I know that it's supposed to do that when the light is very low (or when you have the lens cap on).

A few more notes:

• The lens cap is not on
  • ISO dial is set at 400 — I've tried to move it around and then back to 400
  • It does it with the lens at F1.4 or with the shutter at 1 second, and there's plenty of light in the room.
  • I've even tried to remove the lens, it does it even with the white dot totally exposed.
  • It does it with and without film inside
  • I've tried a new battery (I'm using the Duracell DL1/3N 3V, could that be the problem?)

I have 30 days to send it back. I got it from an Ebay seller from Japan with stellar reviews. It's my first Leica, and when I saw that yesterday the meter was working fine and today it isn't, I immediately thought I was doing something stupid or that the battery was faulty. I really tried everything.

Thank you for your help!

Lorenzo

Edited by lorenzo_f86

Please check/clean the 6 contacts hidden by the film door, they transfer the signal from the film speed selector. The three upper pins are spring loaded, do they move?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A q-tip swab moistened with a little rubbing alcohol helps to clean these gold contacts.

I just had a similar experience, with a Rolleiflex meter acting strangely for a couple of days after arriving from Austria to the U.K.  Careful cleaning of gold contacts fixed the problem.  Temperatures in cargo holds can be freezing and packages that are very cold when opened can develop condensation in warm rooms, which can affect the contacts.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

@lorenzo_f86

Sorry you are having trouble.  The M6 was my first Leica and I sold it.  I bought another one and still love to use it. 

Since you think it worked fine when you first got it, you can try to look at a few other things.  Reset the shutter and look to see the condition of the white dot.  The white dot reflects, cracked paint is fine as it is a light coating, but large sections missing might not reflect good light regardless.  Also, look inside for the receptor / diode and be sure something didn't block it, large dust or something else that maybe came loose after using it a little.  Also, even with enough light in the room, point it at a lamp bulb and see if it moves at all.  

I use the duracell battery in my MP's and my M6, its the only one I use, so if the battery is good, its not the problem.  Even with film in you can check the contacts of the battery and the cap to be sure they are really clean and not green (I know, bad rhyme).

Someone suggested the gold contacts on the door, so when your film is done, that's a good idea.  If you get it working, I'd try a sunny 16 outside and see how close you think it is.  I.e., make sure the meter is measuring properly if you can get it to work..   My old Nikon F2's had bad contacts in the shutter dial after 30 years, so I guess that is also possible.

Just trying to think of anything that could cause your problem. . Let us know, best of luck!

1 hour ago, davidmknoble said:

@lorenzo_f86

Sorry you are having trouble.  The M6 was my first Leica and I sold it.  I bought another one and still love to use it. 

Since you think it worked fine when you first got it, you can try to look at a few other things.  Reset the shutter and look to see the condition of the white dot.  The white dot reflects, cracked paint is fine as it is a light coating, but large sections missing might not reflect good light regardless.  Also, look inside for the receptor / diode and be sure something didn't block it, large dust or something else that maybe came loose after using it a little.  Also, even with enough light in the room, point it at a lamp bulb and see if it moves at all.  

I use the duracell battery in my MP's and my M6, its the only one I use, so if the battery is good, its not the problem.  Even with film in you can check the contacts of the battery and the cap to be sure they are really clean and not green (I know, bad rhyme).

Someone suggested the gold contacts on the door, so when your film is done, that's a good idea.  If you get it working, I'd try a sunny 16 outside and see how close you think it is.  I.e., make sure the meter is measuring properly if you can get it to work..   My old Nikon F2's had bad contacts in the shutter dial after 30 years, so I guess that is also possible.

Just trying to think of anything that could cause your problem. . Let us know, best of luck!

Thanks for the reply. Luckily the problem has disappeared after the first couple of days. I cleaned the battery compartment and I read somewhere that if the previous owner used two batteries instead of one, the spring maybe lost a bit of tension and one battery could have troubles with it. I was using one battery initially and now I'm using two batteries.

I honestly don't know what solved it. Maybe what M9reno wrote about the shipping cargo low temperature is part of it, and a couple of days in a normal environment helped. I'm just glad that know it just works! 🙂 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...