Flip-out screen for the Leica SL?

simon_hsn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

30 minutes ago, Simone_DF said:

Leica, the famous minimalist company that gave us the Lenny Kravitz edition 🙄

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Mininum product for maximum price.

7 hours ago, Stephen.s1 said:

..thinks of holding a phone in one hand and a tripodless manual focus camera over his head or close to the ground..  Nahhhh.. ain't gonna happen.

C'mon Leica get with it!

Hotshoe holders for phones are cheap and common. I have several.

The S1R or GFX100 screen would me more than fine for me. Just not fully articulated. I'm not a vlogger. The *3mm* extra depth wouldn't worry me personally. Not like the entire body would be deeper.

Gordon

2 hours ago, ravinj said:

Mininum product for maximum price.

I believe the unit of measure to describe this is $/gram. 🙃

This 35mm AA is around $1735/gram, it’s pretty high up the list: https://www.setadelstudios.com/collections/lenses/products/leica-35mm-summilux-m-f1-4-aa-silver-chrome-aspherical-prototype-11873-lens-1-1

Edited by beewee

It seems there are really two camps and no definitive answer can be found. 

I wonder why no manufactuerer has decided to offer both options. Yes, manufacturing cost is typically the reason, but for this case, it could be worth it to please both customer groups.

I prefer a multi-tilt-screen (like Fuji / Pana S1/S1R) over a flip screen because the flip screen is off axis. Had one camera with a flip screen but could not get used to that.

Fixed screen today is a compromise I accept only with M-Leicas. Never thought about buying a SL Leica because of the fixed screen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2021 at 10:28 PM, FlashGordonPhotography said:

I despise fully articulating screens. I'm a stills shooter and would rather have nothing than a screen that pokes out the side of a camera. I would have a dual flip screen like the S1R or XT3 which keeps the screen in line with the body. So when Leica do this they are certainly not going to make everyone happy because there are more like me.

Could not agree with you more @FlashGordonPhotography. I share the same opinion. Not fan of a flip-out screens at all. I really do not like when my screen and my sensor are off axis.

And 100% agree if they can make the same screen as S1/S1R flip out + tilt, than that would be a perfect combo for anyone I think.

If they do not have intention to make such screen I would rather keep it fixed rather than flip-out.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Svetozar said:

Could not agree with you more @FlashGordonPhotography. I share the same opinion. Not fan of a flip-out screens at all. I really do not like when my screen and my sensor are off axis.

And 100% agree if they can make the same screen as S1/S1R flip out + tilt, than that would be a perfect combo for anyone I think.

If they do not have intention to make such screen I would rather keep it fixed rather than flip-out.

Not ANYONE, aka not perfect for those who prefer a flip out screen.

As I said, offering two versions would probably be the best solution.

5 hours ago, simon_hsn said:

Not ANYONE, aka not perfect for those who prefer a flip out screen.

As I said, offering two versions would probably be the best solution.

@simon_hsn I understand your point of view but Leica SL2-S is not a vlogger camera by any means. It weights at 931g.  And I am not sure if the next Leica SL camera (SL3-S) would be any lighter than SL2-S . Therefore S1/S1R screen would be ideal for the next Leica in my humble opinion.

• Like 1

@simon_hsn Maybe the best compromise would be something like Panasonic S1H Screen.

Where you can tilt up and flip out as well.

But we can make a poll as well to make it more interesting :):

1. Multi-tilt Screen like S1/S1R - Press LIKE

2. Flip-out Screen like Sony A7S III - Press THANKS

3. Tilt up + Flip-out Screen like S1H - Press HAHA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am all for the tilt , flip, bounce.. screen.

Dorability😳 I had this screens on multiple cameras, no one ever broke.

shooting from lower angles or small spaces the articulated screen is very useful .

looking down on the camera screen when filing to hit focus point I find the EVF is in the way..

Edited by Photoworks

I used to grab my Sony A7 by the flip screen. Yup. I treated that camera really bad.

It didn't broke. Nor have I ever heard any story regarding broken flip screens of any brand. This "superior durability" thing is just a myth. All modern cameras are extremely durable and can take a beating. 

• Like 1

Hi, 

a S1-style flip-screen would be fine, but I hate the S5-style ones. 

The lack of such a screen is no showstopper for me, but it can prove itself very usefull in many situations, therefore I would welcome it. Would I use it constantly? No, but sometimes it would be very helpful to not lie in the dirt or just do hip level photos. 

• Like 3