Flip-out screen for the Leica SL?

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi forum members, 

I am curious to get your opinion on a highly debated topic: Is a flip-out screen the best solution? (And: Do you want to see it in your next Leica SL?)

I was conservative on the topic myself until I started to use one. Now, I am a firm believer, that the flip out screen is the best compromise, especially for hybrid video shooters (SL2-S). 

Key advantages in my opinion

• Closed screen - Practical for scratch free storage (no screen protector needed) and cool to have for those moments you do not want to be distracted by a large backscreen (see Leica M-D)
  • Best for complicated video shots
  • Self filming (vlogging & tripod)
  • No disadvantage vs. fixed screen (durability is not a problem in my humble opinion).

Leica could simply move the buttons on the right side, which has the additional bonus that the camera becomes operable with one hand. 

What do you think?

Edited by simon_hsn
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I despise fully articulating screens. I'm a stills shooter and would rather have nothing than a screen that pokes out the side of a camera. I would have a dual flip screen like the S1R or XT3 which keeps the screen in line with the body. So when Leica do this they are certainly not going to make everyone happy because there are more like me. Serious video shooters use externals anyway. Because the cables for audio and power obstruct the screen anyway. Not to mention if they want the best re

I use tilt screen a lot on my Fuji GFX 50R and Sony RX100VI. Miles ahead in usability. It is very useful for getting hand-held shots at certain angles and some of those are impossible with a fixed screen. It is also handy on tripods. I don't see it as a "feature". Not having it is a usability drag. Using feature logic, AF is a feature and so is the EVF. Not sure about the "Leica DNA" that is holding them back from implementing at least a tilt screen.

Hi,    a S1-style flip-screen would be fine, but I hate the S5-style ones.  The lack of such a screen is no showstopper for me, but it can prove itself very usefull in many situations, therefore I would welcome it. Would I use it constantly? No, but sometimes it would be very helpful to not lie in the dirt or just do hip level photos. 

Posted Images

I have the M10 with the tilting Visoflex and the SL2-S. Both have fixed, non-tilting screen. I found that on the SL2-S, I did miss the tilting Visoflex but not enough to want to go for a tilting screen. I do wish Leica offered a right angle viewfinder attachment like they do for the original SL.

I would love an articulating/flip out screen.  I use it all the time with my Canon R5 on action and street shots when I am low to the ground or shooting up high above my head or for night photography.  It is a nice convenience.  There's no question that I can capture images that I would not be able to get otherwise.  

I despise fully articulating screens. I'm a stills shooter and would rather have nothing than a screen that pokes out the side of a camera. I would have a dual flip screen like the S1R or XT3 which keeps the screen in line with the body. So when Leica do this they are certainly not going to make everyone happy because there are more like me.

Serious video shooters use externals anyway. Because the cables for audio and power obstruct the screen anyway. Not to mention if they want the best recording bit rates they're already using a Ninja.

I COMPLETELY agree about having the buttons on the right hand side. Buttons on the left are silly especially if you want to simple things like playback images through the viewfinder. I think the ergonomics of the SL2 took a sizable step backward from the SL1 in this regard. They had it right and then screwed it up.

The real solution is to make the Fotos app rock solid. If the app did what it was supposed to do seamlessly there'd be almost no complaints about a rear screen as you could position your phone anywhere you want. But it's flakey as heck.

Gordon

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

The real solution is to make the Fotos app rock solid. If the app did what it was supposed to do seamlessly there'd be almost no complaints about a rear screen as you could position your phone anywhere you want.

Couldn’t agree more with this. There is still way too much friction in the user experience to get the app up and running.

It should not take 40 seconds (yes, I actually timed this) to:

1. Launch the FOTOS app on iOS w/ iPhone 12 Pro
  2. Swipe down to show list of cameras
  3. Connect to the camera
  4. Manually press the ‘Join’ button when prompts you to join the WiFi connection to the camera
    • Why do I need to press the ‘Join’ button when I just pressed the ‘Connect to Camera’ button?!
  5. Press the remote button to get live view

Steps 2-5 should be replaced by a single button or shortcut option and someone seriously needs to optimize the setup so it takes less than 5 seconds. Under 2 seconds is really the ideal target.

Oh, and if something failed between Steps 3-4, you’re going to have to do that all over again.

If we had a smooth FOTOS app experience, I’m sure there’d be less complaints or desire for a tilting screen. Who’d want to use a 2M dot 3.2 inch screen when you can have a 5+ inch Retina OLED screen you carry in your pocket?

Edited by beewee
2 hours ago, simon_hsn said:

Hi forum members, 

I am curious to get your opinion on a highly debated topic: Is a flip-out screen the best solution? (And: Do you want to see it in your next Leica SL?)

I was conservative on the topic myself until I started to use one. Now, I am a firm believer, that the flip out screen is the best compromise, especially for hybrid video shooters (SL2-S). 

Key advantages in my opinion

• Closed screen - Practical for scratch free storage (no screen protector needed) and cool to have for those moments you do not want to be distracted by a large backscreen (see Leica M-D)
  • Best for complicated video shots
  • Self filming (vlogging & tripod)
  • No disadvantage vs. fixed screen (durability is not a problem in my humble opinion).

Leica could simply move the buttons on the right side, which has the additional bonus that the camera becomes operable with one hand. 

What do you think?

Brilliant!  My only issue with the SL2 is the fixed LCD. Don't need fully articulating LCD, even if it can be tilted would go a long way for shots taken at lower heights or avoiding gymnastics when on a tripod. Other manufacturers have done and I don't see their cameras as less robust because of this feature.

2 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

So when Leica do this they are certainly not going to make everyone happy because there are more like me.

Me ! 
I returned all the camera i owned with flip out screen. I’m ok with tilt up screen only. Or fixed. 
the screen must me aligned behind the lens, if not I lose my equilibrium. 

13 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

The real solution is to make the Fotos app rock solid. If the app did what it was supposed to do seamlessly there'd be almost no complaints about a rear screen as you could position your phone anywhere you want. But it's flakey as heck.

👍

Flip-out screens like you show are preferred by vloggers, because they allow you to see the framing in "selfie" mode. Vloggers also prefer lighter/cheaper cameras and smaller sensors, so they wouldn't be customers even with the flip.

A flip-up/down screen would be useful for video, but I can see why Leica hasn't offered one. It's one of many "just one more feature" that people ask for. The problem is that everybody has a different "just one more," and if you implemented them the camera would have all the style and grace of a Graflex XL (look it up).

Besides, minimalist designs are part of Leica's brand DNA. Giving that up would do them more harm than good.

2 hours ago, BernardC said:

Besides, minimalist designs are part of Leica's brand DNA. Giving that up would do them more harm than good.

I disagree. The lack of tilt screen to keep the body flush is pretty much a perfect example of form over function.

I use tilt screen a lot on my Fuji GFX 50R and Sony RX100VI. Miles ahead in usability. It is very useful for getting hand-held shots at certain angles and some of those are impossible with a fixed screen. It is also handy on tripods. I don't see it as a "feature". Not having it is a usability drag. Using feature logic, AF is a feature and so is the EVF.

Not sure about the "Leica DNA" that is holding them back from implementing at least a tilt screen.

1 hour ago, Simone_DF said:

The lack of tilt screen to keep the body flush is pretty much a perfect example of form over function.

Coming from someone who has an M8.2 and M10, the rangefinder would make a better example of form over function in an age of laser auto-focus. :) But there’s also a degree of simplicity in shooting with a rangefinder that makes the experience unique. One could make the argument that the lack of tilt screen forces the photographer to get down low and see the world at the shooting level and notice the details around them? Or maybe my coffee hasn’t fully kicked in yet.