Improving SL2 battery life

chris_tribble

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 19 Stunden schrieb chris_tribble:

I’ve found all the time I’m actively engaged with framing, focusing, metering the camera remains active. I’ve only had a couple of occasions when I’ve had it cut out. My feeling is that if I’m doing street or landscape then 10 seconds works well if I’m doing a client shoot I’ll revert to 2 minutes (and make sure I’ve got that extra battery with me!

Thus I have these 2 profiles: "eco" (10 seconds) and "normal" (2 minutes). Plus "BBF" (Back button focus), "B&W" and "Video"...😇.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I too was suffering with really poor battery life so decided to follow the tip of fully charging and then fully discharging the battery (through camera use) 3 times. I did this on two batteries and now the improvement in battery life is amazing.

Although I don't use video it was the perfect option to discharge a battery through use however. Prior to the conditioning the camera would record about 30 minutes of mp4 video, 25fps at 1080p. After the conditioning the battery lasted for a whopping 2hr 45min!!! I did the same conditioning on my second battery with similar results. These were not new batteries, I've been using them for nearly 2 years.

Back in normal photo mode, my batteries are now lasting for around 550 shots, before I was lucky to get 200.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

Hey jjesp been to Copenhagen three times in the last two years by coincidence I really love the city!

Im going to try the method of running the battery to zero and then full recharge x3. Something is supposed to govern the charging of the battery don't know why mine runs out so fast its only 3 months old?

Have a Happy Holiday

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/20/2023 at 10:41 AM, Wurlitzer-1015 said:

I too was suffering with really poor battery life so decided to follow the tip of fully charging and then fully discharging the battery (through camera use) 3 times. I did this on two batteries and now the improvement in battery life is amazing.

Back in normal photo mode, my batteries are now lasting for around 550 shots, before I was lucky to get 200.

interesting, ive never done the charge<>discharge stuff, i just keep my screen brightness very low, as i don't care about looking at the images till i get home, easily get over 500-600 shots, but i do use only manual focus lenses, so no battery power is being used for Af etc and a bright LCD really eats the battery

On 12/22/2023 at 4:04 PM, Luke_Miller said:

Anyone using the new higher capacity Leica BP-SCL6 battery?  I bought a couple but have not yet been able to determine how much improvement I'm seeing.

I just picked one up. Haven’t noticed a big improvement after the first full charge. Maybe it takes a few charge cycles. We’ll see.

On 12/22/2023 at 10:04 PM, Luke_Miller said:

Anyone using the new higher capacity Leica BP-SCL6 battery?  I bought a couple but have not yet been able to determine how much improvement I'm seeing.

On 12/29/2023 at 3:04 AM, TwentyEighthParallel said:

I just picked one up. Haven’t noticed a big improvement after the first full charge. Maybe it takes a few charge cycles. We’ll see.

The change I noticed is with the power management fix that was implemented in firmware update v. 5.2.0 which provided we can now shoot continuous high speed or 4K down to about 10% percent or slightly less on the BP-SCLand all the way down to battery drained on the BP-SCL6. This is a major improvement over what used to be a frustrating hard stop recording 4K or shooting continuous high speed mode on the BP-SCL4 when it depleted to about 20% power level. 

While I've not done a precise test, I don't notice any major battery duration improvement between the two batteries. Some have posted they notice the more powerful BP-SCL6 lasts longer which makes sense, I just haven't noticed a longer lasting BP-SCL6 vs BP-SCL4 during my typical use. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/22/2023 at 1:04 PM, Luke_Miller said:

I've had one for a while, and haven't really noticed much of an increase in battery life over the SCL4. But "typical" use can vary - just walking around with the camera switched on and taking a few pictures can take it down to one bar by the end of the day, whereas shooting 400+ pictures at a marathon/bike race/rowing race, with autofocus and everything running, barely makes a dent. Mostly, I'm glad it's $100 cheaper than the SCL4, and back-compatible with the SL601.

I should add that I put the new batt through the recommended three charge/discharge cycles after purchase. Wurlitzer-1015's suggestion to do that shooting video is so brilliant and obvious that it skipped right over me, but I'll do that with the next one I purchase.