Small & Cheap 50mm lens

Lee S

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Can anyone recommend a small and cheap 50mm lens for my M10? I’m not bothered about super fast apertures. 

For info I currently have 2 x 35mm lens, the Zeiss C-Biogon f2.8 and Voigtlander Nokton Classic F1.4.

I don’t really want to go much larger than these if possible. the larger of the two lens measures only 2.034" (51.7mm) diameter by 1.173" (29.80mm) length.

Thanks

Lee 

It depends on your definition of "cheap".

Without having checked the size, I would suggest checking out the 50mm Apo-Lanthar which is a bargain for its performance as well as the new Nokton f/1.5 Asph II. I feel confident that both will outperform your current lenses.

• Thanks 1

Hi Lee,
I bought a Zeiss Planar 2/50mm for 700€ (new) two years ago, including lens shade.
The performance of the Planar is at least as good as that of the NON-apo-summicron 50mm.
The filter screw in thread is the same like that of your C-Biogon (43mm).
i hope my English is not too bad.
Heinrich

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The best kept Leica secret: 50/2.8 Elmar collapsible.

If lower contrast pictures with a vintage rendering appeals to you then look for a serial number up to 2503100, which is the first version (1957 - 1972).  

On the other hand if a more modern, contrastier rendering appeals to you then look for a serial number beyond 3668031, which is the second version (1994 - 2007).

Both lenses can be collapsed onto the camera to enable it to fit into a jacket pocket.  Completed eBay listings indicate prices of £300 to £500 for the first version and about £700 to £1,000 for the second version.  Fully extended (for shooting) they should be in the right size range for what you've mentioned.

Pete.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, LarsHP said:

It depends on your definition of "cheap".

Without having checked the size, I would suggest checking out the 50mm Apo-Lanthar which is a bargain for its performance as well as the new Nokton f/1.5 Asph II. I feel confident that both will outperform your current lenses.

Not Leica prices, happy with older lenses but I prefer something small and light. 

I have some Voigtlander lenses in Sony E Mount which I’m very happy with. 50mm Lanthar looks incredible to me but too big for carrying around.

Will check out the 50mm f1.5 Nokton though. 

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

Colonel good pointing 👍.

So many to choose from but I'd avoid those "too cheap to be true".

Thanks for the advice, I have no experience of the very cheap Chinese lenses but have plenty from Voigtlander and Zeiss across my two systems and I’m very happy with them so far. 

The 35mm f1.4 nokton classic is probably the worst lens I’ve ever had in terms of optical performance but this also makes it one of the best for my style of photography. I believe these flaws are now called ‘character’. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, farnz said:

The best kept Leica secret: 50/2.8 Elmar collapsible.

If lower contrast pictures with a vintage rendering appeals to you then look for a serial number up to 2503100, which is the first version (1957 - 1972).  

On the other hand if a more modern, contrastier rendering appeals to you then look for a serial number beyond 3668031, which is the second version (1994 - 2007).

Both lenses can be collapsed onto the camera to enable it to fit into a jacket pocket.  Completed eBay listings indicate prices of £300 to £500 for the first version and about £700 to £1,000 for the second version.  Fully extended (for shooting) they should be in the right size range for what you've mentioned.

Pete.

Thanks Pete can you collapse these on an M10? I understand some lenses can’t be collapsed on digital M’s as they hit the camera internals. 

lee

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Lee S:

Can anyone recommend a small and cheap 50mm lens for my M10? I’m not bothered about super fast apertures. 

For info I currently have 2 x 35mm lens, the Zeiss C-Biogon f2.8 and Voigtlander Nokton Classic F1.4.

I don’t really want to go much larger than these if possible. the larger of the two lens measures only 2.034" (51.7mm) diameter by 1.173" (29.80mm) length.

Thanks

Lee 

As you say max. 51.7mm.

I guess the cheapest lens is 7Artisans 50mm F1.1
Length 49mm, 400 grams

Buy it used and it is even cheaper. 

Hi Lee,

There should be no risk collapsing a 50/2.8 Elmar on your M10 once it's mounted.  The risk occurs when mounting a collapsed lens because there's not very much space for the collapsed tube to move into and naturally moving it through angles during mounting could cause it to touch the sides of the M10's throat and displace paint. 

After the lens is mounted the tube doesn't extend far enough to reach the shutter blades so there's no risk of damage.  (This is different with the 90/4 Elmar, which naturally has a longer tube that could reach the shutter blades.)  The M10's manual explains which lenses are safe to mount.

Just remember to extend the lens before mounting it or de-mounting it.

Pete.

2 hours ago, Harpomatic said:

Another vote here for the Nokton 50mm 1.5 II. Wonderful lens and really, really small.

https://www.47-degree.com/focus-shift/Voigtlander-Nokton-50mm-1.5-II-VM-review

I love mine.

Thanks for the suggestion, this is certainly looking to be top of my list at the moment, seems very compact with good IQ. The high level of vignette doesn’t bother me as I rarely shoot wide open. 

It appears out of stock everywhere in the UK though so might have to wait 

Only thing it seems to be missing for me is a focus tab or nub! 

4 hours ago, Lee S said:

Thanks Pete can you collapse these on an M10? I understand some lenses can’t be collapsed on digital M’s as they hit the camera internals. 

lee

The last version, labeled Elmar-M gives no risk when collapsing.

• Thanks 1

How about the Leica 50mm f/2.5 Summarit-M? This lens is about 33mm in length and my copy weighs less than 200g (the official weight is 230g, but is wrong). It is my favorite lens at present, so small, light, and easy to focus.

I also have a Zeiss C-Biogon 35mm f2.8, and believe it or not, I find the Summarit 50mm to be as sharp if not more so in the center. It also has more pleasing colors, to my eyes, less punchy. You should be able to find a copy used for less than US$900, and I wouldn't worry too much about the hood.

• Thanks 1

If you own M10, cheap has wide meaning. :)

I owned Elmar-M 50 2.8. With filter and hood, even collapsed it was not so small. Then in locked position it was just too long. IMO.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

But if you are OK with front element exposed to severe damages sooner or later, it is kind of compact lens.

Summarit-M 50 2.5 is perfect match for M10. It is coded, made for digital M lens. And it is cheap and not big lens lens in terms of Leica domain.

I'm not in M10 budget. For my little money I'm finding Jupiter-3 to be very small lens. And it is fine even @f1.5 on my M-E 220.

But this lens needs collimation for Leica (often) which is totally DIY. But some extra work, modification is required with J3 after re-shimming. More easy to collimate and same, if not more compact are late Jupiter-8.

With Jupiter-3 the older the better. With Jupiter-8 black it was possible to get lens in almost NOS and 1991 made. 

Those lenses are cheap. Under 100 USD for Jupiter-8 and under 200 USD for Jupiter-3. 

This is @f between 1.5 and 2.

F2.8

f5.6

Again, this is true in terms of the price cheap lens. Not Leica prices :) .

Edited by Ko.Fe.
  • Like 1