James Nachtwey

sharookh

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Now I'm feeling bad.

To all the nice Americans on the forum: I should point out that I didn't mean you guys with any of what I said about inferiority and an incomplete grasp of international politics. I'm sure your hindbrains are well-adjusted and you're sensible and thoughtful people: that's why you have cameras and take photos for a hobby rather than any of the many less sensible and thoughtful things that people out there do with their spare time. I was just having a bit of a tongue-in-cheek troll at jrc and standing up for good old Aunty Beeb. All done now. ;)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"extraordinary left-wing anti-Semitism. Are you really endorsing that view? If you are, say so.

Well, here's another person who suggests things that cannot possible have been culled from READING another's post. Nice try.

Are you telling me that someone who is so able to discern what is and is not happening in the media is unable to understand my post.

Not trying to put words into your mouth. Just wondering what it was in my original post that you objected to. (Other than my superiority and my obviously not-well-translating sense of humour.)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would imagine he is grooming several possible secessors in his VII Agency. I would think he'll keep his hand in for many years like DDD did at Magnum.

John,

there are only 10 membrs of VII, all of whom are already well established but dont seem to be in the same position, in the public perception, as Nachtwey regarding conflict photography. Christopher Morris maybe, but since he became a father he has withdrawn from war photography (which he very emotionally explained during the VII London seminar), also Ladefoged has stopped covering war since starting a family, Kratochvil is 60 and Boulat is in hospital due to a brain aneurysm.

I think 'the new Nachtwey' will come from outside VII...

Guy

They're not perfect, and there are some damn fine other news sources out there in the world. Maybe some of them are even American... I'll grant even that. My reaction was against this frankly bizarre accusation of extraordinary left-wing anti-Semitism. Are you really endorsing that view? If you are, say so.

I'll repeat it if you want me to. The BBC has a history of anti-Semitism. Ask most any Jew. Put "BBC" and "Israel" in Google, and read through the results. The British Foreign Office, like the French Foreign Ministry, also has a history of anti-Semitism. What sort of amazes me about the naive defense of the BBC is that you (and some other people) actually seem to think that they're NOT. Maybe I just inhabit a different world than you, but in my world, which is largely made up of media people, it's simply accepted as a peculiarity of the BBC. There are lots of other media things which taken for granted as not good, but simple reality (For example, that there are mistakes in almost every story.)

As for being astonished by left-wing anti-Semitism, call up the mayor of London, and ask where he stands politically, and what he thinks of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. I would agree that there can be a difference between anti-Israeli positions and anti-Semitism, but there usually isnt...at least not with Red Ken. Read the Wiki on him. This is no big mystery -- it's right out there in the open. I'm really sort of astonished that you're amazed...

JC

I would agree that there can be a difference between anti-Israeli positions and anti-Semitism, but there usually isnt..

Give it a rest. Peddling the canard that anyone who doesn't support the Likud party line is an anti-semite or a self-hating Jew is pure BS. The settler movement and Israeli rejectionists have done more damage to the state of Israel's welfare and security then the BBC or British Foreign office ever will.

I'll repeat it if you want me to. The BBC has a history of anti-Semitism. Ask most any Jew..........

And perhaps then ask the same of any Arab or Muslim, well I'm sure you would as there's no way you'd adopt a blinkered, polarised, inflammatory position.

This is great fun. Much better than those 'which stupid lens should I buy' threads.

................Chris

Please... gentlemen..gentlemen...We've got to cut this sh*t out.....Didn't your grandmother tell you not to discuss politics on internet forums. Lets talk about what brings us together ...photography

Sounds good to me.

JC

OK, OK!!!

Chris, you're right but, after the middle east, the BBC and anti Americanism,

I'd still like to expand the discussion to cameras, not just stick with lenses.

.....What should it be, a Kodak, an Ansco or a nice, new cell phone

as a back-up for my M8???

How about a clock radio that takes photographs?

Now there's a product that the public shouldn't be without! :rolleyes:

Sam