M10 Monochrom randomly factory resets?

KateStarr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, 

I decided to pull the trigger on an M10M before the price hike and set the camera up on Saturday night. I shot with it throughout the day on Sunday - less than 100 shots - with no issues. I grabbed the camera this morning to take a shot and somehow the camera had done a factory reset overnight. It prompted me to set up the language, date, time etc before I could use it and had deleted all of my settings within the menus. Is this a known issue with a solution? I couldn’t find anything but thought I’d check here.

Just to be clear, the firmware is up to date and the battery had plenty of charge left. Another strange thing that probably isn’t related is that the menu button feels “mushy.” It’s not nearly as crisp as the LV and Play buttons - like it doesn’t travel as far when pressed.

By the sound of it another Leica QC flop.

If button feels differently it may not be transmitting input instruction correctly or affirmativly, "mooshy" feel could manifest itself as a loose lectric contact. 

Try uploading settings again, it is after all Leica M, and the list is short.  If it doesnt work go back to the dealer, your price should be protected and request replacment, new camera shall work out of the box. What ever you do dont accept warranty repair as it takes time and you parted with  a tidy sum of money for a privilage to have a new Leica M camera in your hands.

Thanks @mmradman. I haven't been able to "trigger" the issue again, but it's only been a few days so I'm not confident it won't happen again. I'm going to reach out to the dealer to see what my options are. It's just disconcerting to spend so much $$ on a camera body and have it act wonky right off the bat. Even though it hasn't happened again (yet), I don't trust that it won't.

The main battery may have had enough charge but there is a small internal battery that keeps the date and time setting etc. This needs to charge from the main battery for maybe 24hrs before everything works ok. I think in the manual it says something about keeping the main battery in for a day on first use. You don't need to keep the camera switched on however for the internal battery to charge.

That’s interesting, @250swb, I haven’t heard about a small internal battery before. I put the main battery in the camera on Saturday night and the camera reset first thing Monday morning, so I’m not sure that timing works. Also, when the camera prompted me to set the date and time, it had the correct date and time from when I had set it up previously. In fact the date and time were the only settings that were “saved” after the reset.

Buttons and dials on M246 can be temparamental.  I have my M246 for 5 years now and learned to leave with very sensitive scroll wheel resulting very often in wrong exposure compensation, so if i touched it to dial -0.3 or -0.7 very often it would jump to -3.0. You can just about recover if you shoot in good daylight not so if you shoot at night predominantly dark scenes.

I thought at the time that reporting this would probably result in more frustration, so learrnd to live with the anomaly and enjoyed the photographic experience.  People often complain about loose aperutre rings, another anomaly many users learn to live with.  On this occassion Leica saved on warranty repair but lost in the long run in future camera sales, for now at least, would not consider upgrading at leasat until M11M appears.