To P or to R, that is the Question

RayD28

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, Lee S said:

It looks like ISO standards for camera sensitivity was published in 2019!

https://www.iso.org/news/ref2375.html

Does seem odd most camera manufacturers were in the ballpark regarding ISO before this standard and even Leica (except it seems for digital M10?) 

Yes, thanks to Jonos findings who I respect immensely as a photographer and in terms of technical knowledge, I use ISO200 as the base on my M10.

It seems cost between the 24MP M10 and M10R is minimal so if that’s the case the M10R would probably be a better bet in resale value alone, as Jono said the output files are nicer regardless of DR differences and if you downsample images the noise looks better. 

In my experience I needed a better laptop for my 47MP Sony Raw files however lightroom mobile on my old iPhone 7 still worked well.

Quick question. How does one downsamples the M10R file to a 24mp photo ? Can this be done in Lightroom ? 

8 hours ago, Steven said:

Quick question. How does one downsamples the M10R file to a 24mp photo ? Can this be done in Lightroom ? 

When you export* your images, there’s a place where you can enter in the long side pixel width of the M10-P. Also add the appropriate sharpening option on export (for screen, etc.). Re-import the image back into LR if you want to compare it against an M10-P shot (or export the M10-P shot the same way and open both in PS).

*Export to TIFF or PSD to retain the highest quality if the goal is to compare with an M10-P DNG. 

Edited by hdmesa
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, hdmesa said:

When you export* your images, there’s a place where you can enter in the long side pixel width of the M10-P. Also add the appropriate sharpening option on export (for screen, etc.). Re-import the image back into LR if you want to compare it against an M10-P shot (or export the M10-P shot the same way and open both in PS).

*Export to TIFF or PSD to retain the highest quality if the goal is to compare with an M10-P DNG. 

I only see the option to reduce the size if exporting to JPEG. Which to me, is not exactly downsizing. Just exporting a low quality preview. 

50 minutes ago, Steven said:

I only see the option to reduce the size if exporting to JPEG. Which to me, is not exactly downsizing. Just exporting a low quality preview. 

Hi Steven

The point of lightroom is not to do any 'converting' but editing without changing the original - at least that's how I see it - you can export to a different resolution and then re-import so you have 2 'originals'. If you want to downsize an image you're better to do it in Photoshop (which has special algorithms for the job)

best

21 minutes ago, jonoslack said:

Hi Steven

The point of lightroom is not to do any 'converting' but editing without changing the original - at least that's how I see it - you can export to a different resolution and then re-import so you have 2 'originals'. If you want to downsize an image you're better to do it in Photoshop (which has special algorithms for the job)

best

Many thanks, very clear explanation. 

• Like 1

vor 14 Stunden schrieb Lee S:

It looks like ISO standards for camera sensitivity was published in 2019!

https://www.iso.org/news/ref2375.html

Does seem odd most camera manufacturers were in the ballpark regarding ISO before this standard and even Leica (except it seems for digital M10?) 

Yes, thanks to Jonos findings who I respect immensely as a photographer and in terms of technical knowledge, I use ISO200 as the base on my M10.

It seems cost between the 24MP M10 and M10R is minimal so if that’s the case the M10R would probably be a better bet in resale value alone, as Jono said the output files are nicer regardless of DR differences and if you downsample images the noise looks better. 

In my experience I needed a better laptop for my 47MP Sony Raw files however lightroom mobile on my old iPhone 7 still worked well.

This is great information. Thank you very much. I am happy then that this has been clarified. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, Steven said:

It's been a while since I was in LR, and I was thinking about C1. What Jono said is true – PS is best, but you just have to be good with your resizing methods for best results. I perform a Smart Sharpen to taste after resizing, though others may chime in with better techniques. If you just resize and do nothing else, the 24mp M10 shot may look sharper.

If your goal is to just see what the M10-R files look like at 24mp, it's a pretty close approximation to just not zoom in on them all the way to 100% 😎 Not sure how good LR's previews are at lower zoom levels, but C1's are pretty good.