M246 Shutter Issue

MrFriendly

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I bought my M246 (my first Leica) used less than six months ago, and I've already had several issues with it.  Couple months ago I had to send it in for repair because the RF roller disc would get stuck.  That cost $250 and some six weeks, and that was basically getting it lubricated I suppose.

Couple weeks ago the shutter got stuck while I was photographing.  I had to shut off the camera and turn it back on for it to close.  It happened again couple days ago.  Does this sound like the shutter needs to be lubricated too?  or is the shutter starting to fail and will need to be replaced?  Not sure if it makes a difference, but when the shutter got  stuck the battery was very low.  I haven't noticed anything wrong with the images that come out, but the shutter doesn't always sound consistent (specially compared to my M10M).  It almost sounds like it's struggling, but I'm no expert in this area.

I really like this camera, perhaps even more so than my M10M, but I don't want to spend more than few hundred bucks to get it fixed.  It might actually be cheaper and quicker to sell it and buy another one.  Any suggestions?

Hello MrFriendly,

Sorry to hear that you have trouble with your M246.

Never have (nothing to complain) this type of problem with my M246 till now.

Just in case, with some experience, I don't use last "drop" of battery content.

Maybe a second battery (which I learn to have in one pocket) to avoid that ?

• Like 1