Leica SF24 Flash Attachments

eyedoc1968

Advertisement (gone after registration)

More info please ladies & gentlemen,

I have bought the SF24 Flash, and it came with two attachments for the flash.

One is like the surface of a cheese grater, and the other has a sort of smooth, circular pattern on the front.

Could anyone kindly tell me wha each of them is for and what they would be best used for?

Many thanks

Josslyn

If you look carefully, there is a little bump on the bottom edge. Don't scrape them off thinking it's a moulding fault! They press into the front of the flash and activate two microswitches to tell the flash the diffusers are attaced. You'll see the bumps are in different places for the two diffusers.

Hopefully, if Leica ever produce (with Metz's help) a flash for the M8, there will be a motorised reflector which will adjust to the coded lens mounted.

If you look carefully, there is a little bump on the bottom edge. Don't scrape them off thinking it's a moulding fault! They press into the front of the flash and activate two microswitches to tell the flash the diffusers are attaced. You'll see the bumps are in different places for the two diffusers.

Hopefully, if Leica ever produce (with Metz's help) a flash for the M8, there will be a motorised reflector which will adjust to the coded lens mounted.

and that can be bounced (and runs on AA batteries, not some expensive things you can't find in the middle of no where and can be recharged)

Josslyn--

Just to be a little more specific: If you got the same multilingual instruction booklet as I, the English language description of using the attachments is on p 49.

The wide-angle diffuser widens the beam so that the flash will cover the field of view of a 24mm lens (film, full-frame). It is labeled 14445 and marked by a prismatic pattern.

The telephoto condenser narrows the beam so that the flash will cover the field of view of an 85mm lens (film, full-frame). It is labeled 14446 and marked by concentric circles.

Mark--

Thanks for your description of the bumps on the attachments; I hadn't been able to figure out how they relayed their presence to the camera. I acquired my SF 24D used and just started examining it carefully today. Unfortunately, I found that it thinks it is in WA mode with or without the diffuser; and that when the tele attachment is mounted, the conflicting information produces an error display not listed in the book. Without your description, I wouldn't have been able to figure out what the problem is!

--HC

Guest tummydoc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One is like the surface of a cheese grater, and the other has a sort of smooth, circular pattern on the front. Could anyone kindly tell me wha each of them is for and what they would be best used for?

The latter can only best be used as a diffusor for the flash light. The former can be used in that manner, as well as whilst dining at your favourite trattoria, to instill a bit of parmesan upon your tagliatelle fra diavolo :D