Apple Time Capsule Demise - New Backup Drive?

Keith (M)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, it seems that Big Sur has decided not to play with my (admittedly elderly) 2Tb Apple Time Capsule.  No matter what I try (including deleting the backup and resetting completely to factory settings etc), even though the drive is recognised and the set-up procedure completes without any error messages, Time Machine reports that "backup disc image could not be created". Ditto when I try it on my Mac Book.  

The iMac is a Nov 2017 21.5" with 1Tb SSD and aside from the Time Capsule I also backup to a 3Tb La Cie Thunderbolt that is partitioned into 2Tb & 1Tb.  Am now looking for a USB C external drive to take the place of the Time Capsule and given M10M file sizes, I will probably go for at least 3Tb capacity-wise.  Recommendations welcomed!

Edited by Keith (M)
Whoops - 2Tb!

22 minutes ago, Keith (M) said:

Well, it seems that Big Sur has decided not to play with my (admittedly elderly) 2Tb Apple Time Capsule.  No matter what I try (including deleting the backup and resetting completely to factory settings etc), even though the drive is recognised and the set-up procedure completes without any error messages, Time Machine reports that "backup disc image could not be created". Ditto when I try it on my Mac Book.  

The iMac is a Nov 2017 21.5" with 1Tb SSD and aside from the Time Capsule I also backup to a 3Tb La Cie Thunderbolt that is partitioned into 2Tb & 1Tb.  Am now looking for a USB C external drive to take the place of the Time Capsule and given M10M file sizes, I will probably go for at least 3Tb capacity-wise.  Recommendations welcomed!

It could be a compatibility problem between your "old" Time Capsule and the way it was formatted in the first place. With Big Sur, things are different.

Check this out: https://www.macworld.com/article/3600278/macos-big-sur-supports-time-machine-on-apfs-formatted-drives-but-there-are-a-few-catches.html

Last month after my iMac 27" 5k (2017) expired the Apple care, I decide to change the original 512GB with a new SSD 2TB. I search a lot to know which was, nowadays, the best way to format the time machine external HD. I opted for 

I finally bought this for time machine: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1595686-REG/adata_technology_ahd710p_2tu31_cbl_durable_hd710_2tb_blue.html

Cheap but very good and known HD. 

Everything works fine

• Thanks 1