M9 with original sensor - still worth a shot?

Casey Jefferson

And also in case anyone is interested, I wrote Leica in the US on May 29, 2022 and asked this question:

"Am I correct in thinking that you can repair a M9 except for the sensor?  If the sensor goes that's it but anything else can be fixed.  Do I have that right?

I received this reply from Alan Evans, Technical Manager two days later:  

"Correct.  We can repair the M9 with the exception of the sensor"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

There's a Leica you can get replacement sensor for about £10.99. try an old digital M4 or M6, and buy a 10 pack of Tri-X sensors for £110. If you want the high resolution sensor - try the TMAX one; and if you want to convert it into high res colour ; E100 slide for £22. Sensors can be changed back and forth in under a minute. Camera lasts a lifetime and goes up in value. 😉

• Haha 1

I started this thread but I quickly moved on after trying out the M9 with old sensor, sold and went for M9 with new sensor. I've mentioned about this else where, but wish to share once again - after browsing those limited numbers of photos I've shot with the original sensor again, there's still something about the old sensor rendering that's unique.

The colors are very painterly, at times inaccurate that it feels like it creates its own painting. Usually making warm colors looked cooler with some green tint. I had a quite a few images where I find the colors looks unnatural that it doesn't look pleasant, which I find a turn off. Other time it adds a lot of extra character to the images.

The newer sensor seem to produce more accurate colors, but seem to loose it's original rendering. I find it pointless to loose the original unique rendering and retaining the poor low light performances (and general hardware limitations), I find going back to 240 series made me happy again.

• Haha 1

This is what I was describing earlier, painterly colors, often unnatural but pleasing, I don't see this kind of rendering on new sensor, so off it went.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My M9 had the cover glass replaced (at ACS in UK) the original sensor certainly has character with how it renders. On occasion it can pop out some nice images that I think is unique to this model.

M9 / Voigt 35/1.2 no editing.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 7/31/2022 at 6:49 PM, Marac said:

My M9 had the cover glass replaced (at ACS in UK) the original sensor certainly has character with how it renders. On occasion it can pop out some nice images that I think is unique to this model.

M9 / Voigt 35/1.2 no editing.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Exactly what I was able to get from the old sensor. I wish the Italian flag correction was better (ironically the new sensor performed better!) but having the 35/2 summicron asph the red edges often an eye sore, but when it doesn't get in the way of the images, it's a heck of a rendering there.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2021 at 2:49 PM, Marac said:

Owning an M9 or M9M is like owning a classic old Jag, take it out on Sunday for a few shots, clean it and put it back.

Not for everyone.

Not quite true. All electronics products have a limited life span, whether you use it or keep it on the shelf. Sooner or later electronics parts will fail and there will be no replacements. Now it's the sensor, tomorrow it will be something else - processor board, LCD etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rramesh said:

All electronics products have a limited life span

Probably true but how long is “a limited lifespan“? I have some vintage synths (1972 Moog Sonic-six, 1976 Kong PS3100, 1979 Roland VP-330) which are still working perfectly. Yes, they could all blow up tomorrow… and they could also go on for another 50 years.

30 minutes ago, ianman said:

Probably true but how long is “a limited lifespan“? I have some vintage synths (1972 Moog Sonic-six, 1976 Kong PS3100, 1979 Roland VP-330) which are still working perfectly. Yes, they could all blow up tomorrow… and they could also go on for another 50 years.

It all depends on the specific components used in a device, and how they are put together in its design. Note that electronic boards are made up of many components, some with a longer life and some shorter. The failure of one or more, often renders the electronics unusable. Repair often has to be a total replacement of the sub-assembly. No one does circuit level repairs these days.

Some electronics are easier to repair e.g. a controller for an electric kettle. Some others are more complex e.g. an amplifier where several components on the board can be individually replaced. Some are virtually impossible to repair if part sub-assemblies are not available e.g. computers.

Manufacturers will have an idea of possible failure rates and maintain stocks for the typical product usage life. I believe Leica sees this as 10-15 years. The M9 sensor was an unexpected failure.

Note that so far all 3rd party repairs to the M9 have been only mechanical i.e. replacement of the cover glass.

Maybe a future Star Trek movie might just show Captain Kirk with a Leica M11.

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 10:49 AM, rramesh said:

No one does circuit level repairs these days.

Perhaps in musea showing industrial products. Or by gray-haired engineers, that try to earn something besides their rent. Is it possible to get electronic valves of the WW2 times still?

The Apple SE/30 (around 1988) was a very nice computer. But Apple used electric condensors on the main circuit board, that started to leak after some time.

Edited by jankap

• 1 month later...

This post is sort of reference for future sales/buys of M9 with the original sensor.

I've recently sold my M9. The sensor had only been replaced once, at the time when Leica used to do the replacement free of charge. Since then, I continued to use the camera until the lockdown. I sold it mainly because I decided to reduce my digital shooting.

The camera was in nearly mint condition, with all its original accesories and package units, but with only one battery (Leica battery). It had been used for around 11,00 actuations. The CCD status, which is what weighs for a sale, was this: There were little but numerous marks of corrosion which, except for one of moderate size, could only be seen under 100X magnification of the image on PS. That was sheer luck, for I used the camera a lot; however, I was taking any measures possibe to avoid humidity and the like. It seemed that my efforts worked.

I sold the camera for 1,200 euros, plus the commission of the shoopkeeper who advertised the item. The agreement with him was that he would clearly warn the buyer of the CCD status.

• 1 month later...
On 8/3/2022 at 10:49 AM, rramesh said:

No one does circuit level repairs these days.

Just google "circuit board repair" and find that there will be a large number of such repair services. I had to replace a circuit board on an X-ray machine not long ago The replacement cost 3500 Euro. I sent it off to repair service and it cost me 75 Euro to replace a condenser - including shipping. 

• Like 2