M9 with original sensor - still worth a shot?

Casey Jefferson

41 minutes ago, ianman said:

Crumbs, I should really start saving... or is it better to wait until the M12?  🤔

The context is

If you bought an M9 with the original sensor and it broke in a couple of months would you feel that you got your money's worth

It was a question to the OP

6 minutes ago, ianman said:

LOL. Not in my version of the forum it's not. "A couple of months" or any other time span is not part of the question. Come on now, if that was the original question it would be a pretty dumb one :)

what? I don't understand

So let's start over..

OP question: I've been offered an M9 with an original sensor should I buy it?

My answer

Well...

• There's a high chance that the sensor will have a problem with the cover glass
  • There's a 100% chance that if it does it can't be fixed by Leica
  • There's some possibility of having it fixed by a third party (seems to depend on M9 variant)

The answers to M9 with original sensor - still worth a shot? are all personal reflections IMHO

• How much is it, and is that a lot of money to you?
  • How long would you expect to use it for without a problem to feel it was a good purchase?

Is the answers to the above questions are "a lot" and "a very long time" then I respectfully suggest, that no, an M9 with original sensor is not worth a shot.

(if the answers are , not really it's chump change, and well a couple of months, then sure why not? Go for it)

So in my opinion

How long a camera with a component that has a known defect  might have left to work and might cost is part of the decision.

And that estimate would have to be factored into the price.

I have an M9p (with a new sensor) if someone offered me an M9 with an original sensor for €20 I'd buy another M9, if it was €2000 I would not

See how that works? I'd be offsetting the risk of a potentially defective product by the investment.

Which company would you put your life savings into? Apple, Tesla or an internet start launching YouTube for dogs?  

I mean you might try a little gamble on the dog thing, hell why not - you never know.

But not a big gamble. Too risky.

Same with an original sensor M9.

I think for you maybe not? 

Apparently it's all yay CCD, yay M9 can't possibly ever wear out or something like that. I sincerely hope you're right for all our sakes....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Every product is "potentially defective".

16 minutes ago, Adam Bonn said:

Apparently it's all yay CCD, yay M9 can't possibly ever wear out or something like that. I sincerely hope you're right for all our sakes....

Sorry, but that's just getting childish. Nobody has written - not in this thread anyway - that it can't possible wear out. When it goes, it goes... that may be in 2 days, 2 months, 20 years. Nobody knows.

I won't bother answering the rest. It's all been clearly, fairly and impartialy said. I'm out.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would say people and the world is worth to take photographs with the best equipment you fancy and can get your hands on, be it used M9, Holga,  brand new SL2 or whatever you enjoy. Then just stop worrying and take pictures. If you enjoy of it, you will be happy and it was worth it. If you do not enjoy of it you can sell your gear.

Edited by maitoparta
  • Like 2

I bought an M9 with an original sensor that had corrosion for £1k

Considering it was a very lightly used camera (from a user on this forum funny enough), I think the extra expense to replace the sensor glass right here in the UK is worth the investment simply because I love the camera, and even though I will very possibly sell it on after the fix I will feel confident that the camera is perfect as it was when it was new.

So, if I keep it, I have an original M9 with very low SC for £1.5k all in. That sounds like a bargain to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marac said:

I bought an M9 with an original sensor that had corrosion for £1k

Considering it was a very lightly used camera (from a user on this forum funny enough), I think the extra expense to replace the sensor glass right here in the UK is worth the investment simply because I love the camera, and even though I will very possibly sell it on after the fix I will feel confident that the camera is perfect as it was when it was new.

So, if I keep it, I have an original M9 with very low SC for £1.5k all in. That sounds like a bargain to me.

Somebody fixes the M9 sensor in the UK for £500?

• Like 3

On 5/10/2021 at 6:22 PM, Adam Bonn said:

what? I don't understand

So let's start over..

OP question: I've been offered an M9 with an original sensor should I buy it?

My answer

Well...

• There's a high chance that the sensor will have a problem with the cover glass
  • There's a 100% chance that if it does it can't be fixed by Leica
  • There's some possibility of having it fixed by a third party (seems to depend on M9 variant)

The answers to M9 with original sensor - still worth a shot? are all personal reflections IMHO

• How much is it, and is that a lot of money to you?
  • How long would you expect to use it for without a problem to feel it was a good purchase?

Is the answers to the above questions are "a lot" and "a very long time" then I respectfully suggest, that no, an M9 with original sensor is not worth a shot.

(if the answers are , not really it's chump change, and well a couple of months, then sure why not? Go for it)

So in my opinion

How long a camera with a component that has a known defect  might have left to work and might cost is part of the decision.

And that estimate would have to be factored into the price.

I have an M9p (with a new sensor) if someone offered me an M9 with an original sensor for €20 I'd buy another M9, if it was €2000 I would not

See how that works? I'd be offsetting the risk of a potentially defective product by the investment.

Which company would you put your life savings into? Apple, Tesla or an internet start launching YouTube for dogs?  

I mean you might try a little gamble on the dog thing, hell why not - you never know.

But not a big gamble. Too risky.

Same with an original sensor M9.

I think for you maybe not? 

VERY good and well balanced summary. Thanks!

• Like 1

On 5/13/2021 at 12:45 PM, padam said:

A very good video, I liked he was able to to criticize the camera. You should anyway buy M9 this day, in 2045 you might not be able to get one. I am not going to sell mine, I go to nursing home with it :D

On another note I am beginning to feel M cameras become grandpa cameras. Leica might not like it, but here you go :D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2021 at 4:30 PM, Anbaric said:

Somebody fixes the M9 sensor in the UK for £500?

I can now confirm that ACS in the UK charge £550 + VAT to replace corroded sensor glass on the M9 / M9M Happy days..

I am sending mine tomorrow.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2021 at 3:22 PM, benevideslauren67 said:

Hello. Thanks for the link. There are two left, one at a fixed price

Still a couple of Leica refurbished M9s, with one year warranty, left at KEH.

https://www.worktime.com https://leicarumors.com/2021/03/16/a-batch-of-leica-m9-m9-p-cameras-with-new-sensors-listed-for-sale-at-keh.aspx/

I can now confirm that ACS in the UK charge £550 + VAT to replace corroded sensor glass on the M9 / M9M Happy days..

Edited by benevideslauren67
  • Like 2