Spot the fake

Henry Fool

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One of these is a genuine OEM Leica battery, I purchased about 2 years ago, the other I'm not so sure about. I can't remember which is which.

Please help identify the OEM battery - A or B?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Henry Fool

B is clearly the genuine article. For one thing it uses Leica's proprietary font which is unique to the company. If you flip the batteries over you will also see that the genuine battery carries the Leica part No. which is 14464.

FWIW I have 6 of these on my desk as I type - some dating back almost 10 years; others new last January - and all of them have the Cyrillic text.

I seem to remember there's a way to tell the date of these things...

Philip.

EDIT : Hmm...perhaps it's the M240 series batteries which are date-stamped and not the earlier style.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, aksclix said:

Usually when some product says it’s “for” that brand, it is usually not original branded 

Usually...but not always.

On the flip-side of the genuine batteries, for instance, it says;

Rechargeable (...) FOR DIGITAL LEICA M-CAMERAS (...).

Philip.

46 minutes ago, Gelatino said:

C E  also means China Export. The chinese logo is not exactly the same as the european   https://www.francenetinfos.com/sigles-ce-conformite-europeenne-china-export-156532/

Interestingly, according to the link you provided, battery A's marking is "China Export" and battery B's marking is "Conformité Européeanne".

Pete.

5 hours ago, johnkunstadter said:

Interesting that, according to its label, battery B was made in mainland China for the Russian-speaking market.

Leica don't make their own batteries, and the batteries they commision don't come from the EU or anywhere near. If it says 'China' you can bet it's where it comes from, and any fake battery for that matter.

53 minutes ago, 250swb said:

Leica don't make their own batteries, and the batteries they commision don't come from the EU or anywhere near. If it says 'China' you can bet it's where it comes from, and any fake battery for that matter.

My point is quite different than questioning where Leica may source its batteries or implying that Chinese = fake.  One would expect that articles which have the C E certification would, for marketing's sake, carry labels in one of the EU languages...although on second thought one encounters over and over that Russian -- and even more so Turkish for that matter -- are useful lingua francas throughout the EU.

17 hours ago, pippy said:

B is clearly the genuine article. For one thing it uses Leica's proprietary font which is unique to the company. If you flip the batteries over you will also see that the genuine battery carries the Leica part No. which is 14464.

FWIW I have 6 of these on my desk as I type - some dating back almost 10 years; others new last January - and all of them have the Cyrillic text.

I seem to remember there's a way to tell the date of these things...

Philip.

EDIT : Hmm...perhaps it's the M240 series batteries which are date-stamped and not the earlier style.

Philip,

on those Leica 14464 batteries, the date of manufactoring is stamped at one place, as WWYY X (week number in two digits followed by year in two digits, plus one letter),

I have one as 5112P ( almost last week of 2012 😉),

finding the code number may be difficult, just faint etching or stamp which can be at different place on the battery.

Those batteries are almost all different markings over years, even first ones have no label just markings in bas-relief.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Thanks 2