Alternative lens cap for 50mm Summilux ASPH (11891)

daviden

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So, I'm sick and tired of fiddling with the lens cover for my 50 Summilux, it clips on and everything but it's far from optimal fit.

If you own this lens, then you know that the lens cover can sit half on/half off. The lens cover sometimes get stuck in the lens pouch when I take it out too.

So - are there any alternatives? Would love one of those metal just push on caps. But I guess there's not a Leica one that will fit the 11891?

(Also, I'm looking for a lens cover/cap - I don't need to know that I can put on a filter and have no lens cover what so ever. ☺️)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I have owned this lens several times and know what you mean about the annoying lens cap. But over time, my ears and fingers have “learned” when it’s properly closed.

Much in the same way as I know when my car door or fridge are properly closed, just by the sound of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, evikne said:

I have owned this lens several times and know what you mean about the annoying lens cap. But over time, my ears and fingers have “learned” when it’s properly closed.

Much in the same way as I know when my car door or fridge are properly closed, just by the sound of it.

Yeah... I do the push on and then twist to tighten it-move. But I'd rather have something that I just push on (with som soft material on the inside).

1 hour ago, a.noctilux said:

David,

You can measure the front section, then you can buy plenty of push-on caps on line.

I don't have the asph. 50mm lens but I measure the E46 pre-asph. front , 53mm over hood.

This may be a start point.

Thought about this too, and this will be the last resort if I can't find anything dedicated to it. ☺️ 

The push-on 14102 P lens cap can fit but you'll have to Dremel or otherwise shave off the plastic lugs carefully failing which the cap will fall off too easily for lack of grip. That's what happened with mine so i ended up keeping the stock clip-on hood 14231 since then.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/25/2021 at 2:53 PM, Anbaric said:

I like the Kaiser push on caps, well-made from flexible plastic that (unlike metal caps) won't risk scratching anything if they come off in your bag. I have one on my E43 Summilux.

https://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/produkte/artikel.php?document=/en/produkte/2_1_produktanzeige.asp&display=1&nr=6900

No Leica logo, though!

22 hours ago, lct said:

The push-on 14102 P lens cap can fit but you'll have to Dremel or otherwise shave off the plastic lugs carefully failing which the cap will fall off too easily for lack of grip. That's what happened with mine so i ended up keeping the stock clip-on hood 14231 since then.

Thank you both!

I just found an old Leica lens cap that I bought for about 8 euros. It's measures 63mm on the outside. I'm planning to redo the fabric on the inside, find some nice soft fabric that will still let the cap grab on to the lens.

If it works, it works. ☺️ 

• 9 months later...