New Leica MP scratches my film?

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

I‘ve read your rants carefully, but you haven’t explained where the four screws on the front of the M-A come from.

From M4 ?

I see that the lens mount has five "Phillips" screws (plus one at "noon" ) on MP/M-A, only four slotted on M4 (plus "seal screw" ?).

Frames Illumination window has more stripes on new M. Why ?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

16 hours ago, tightsqueez said:

Used M6 prices are insanely high now, but a lot less than a new MP. I have an M6 that has been there, done everything on the planet. Ask for an M6 that’s been blown up 26 times and and I’ll show you one. 

I wish I could give you silver bullet advice but there just isn’t a clear path. 

Do you require a meter? It’ll give you more options. I dunno, after all these years, I take the same exposed images whether with or without a meter. Can’t go wrong with an M3/2/4 paired with a good technician. 

Thanks for your comments.  Personally, I like to have an in-camera meter.  Of course, I could use my Gossen Luna-Pro or Pentax Spotmeter, but for casual carry, and in-camera meter is important to me.

8 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

I‘ve read your rants carefully, but you haven’t explained where the four screws on the front of the M-A come from.

I’m glad you read them carefully, no one wants a reckless reader. 

a.noctilux beat me to it but I find the throwback to the M4 nice... very fitting for the Frankenstein-ish M-A. Too bad they nixed the a la carte program; I’d order mine in Beryllium Copper alloy. 

2 hours ago, Danner said:

Thanks for your comments.  Personally, I like to have an in-camera meter.  Of course, I could use my Gossen Luna-Pro or Pentax Spotmeter, but for casual carry, and in-camera meter is important to me.

In camera meter is nice, especially with chromes. You gotta be really drunk to miss a C41 or black and white negative exposure. 

The M7 meter operation in actual use was pretty seamless. Too bad they didn’t evolve the product more. The M7 was my absolute work horse in Iraq. 

• 3 weeks later...