New Leica MP scratches my film?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently bought a brand new Leica MP at the LA store last month, and after shooting a few rolls with it, I noticed that there are hairline scratches on the right side of the images after I scanned the negatives myself. After taking it to a different film lab, it seems that the scratches are still visible when scanned. One weird thing is when I had the negatives scanned by a lab, the scratches disappear (see photo). I’m not sure if my eyesight is horrible, but the scratches are not visible when viewed under regular right. I also tried flipping the negatives when I scan it, but the scratches stay on the right side, which rules out the scanner. Finally, I checked the camera itself, and I noticed a thin horizontal line by the top screws on the camera's pressure plate. Is this where the scratches came from? If so, how do I fix it? Do I send it to Leica for maintenance just after purchasing it last month? Do I return it or ask for a replacement?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

There are scratches across the whole frame, so not just the 'top right'. If labs scans make them disappear I suspect they are using dust and scratch removal software. When looking for the source of scratches remember the image is projected upside down and back to front onto the film, so scratches you think emanate from the top right of the pressure plate won't be on the top right of the print. 

If the camera is new, I'd take it back to the shop along with the negatives and ask Leica to fix it or replace.

As pointed above, the lab will most likely use scratch removal. This won't work for b&w negatives though. Better get the camera fixed and enjoy.

I my experience these scratches are typically caused by lab machines (dirty rollers). Just sacrifice a film and run it through your camera (no need to develop it) and carefully examine it. If there are scratches its your camera at fault.

• Like 1

Alternatively, take it to another lab. Also, make sure the light baffles on the film canister (foam seals where the leader comes out) aren't harboring some kind of dust.

If you are open to learning, developing at home is great. I do I much better job with my B&W than any lab, no scratches, no fingerprints, no dust. I'm sure you can too.

I wasted an entire roll of film, opened the canister and it has scratches on the emulsion side of the film, I’ll check with the Leica store and ask them to fix it or just return the camera.

Edited by NielA

Ask for a replacement. This is unacceptable. 

After owning FIVE, yes five MP's, including two A la carte versions... I gave up after all of them had various issues, ranging from meter, battery, scratches on film, frame line, film advance, etc. You'd think I would have given up after a third time! Tried to love the camera but quite frankly doesn't live up to NOTHING in my experience. 

Scratches on the emulsion side should be very difficult in a 35mm camera body, as the emulsion side should only contact along the raised film rails and raised edges of the sprocket roller. The film path under the picture area is recessed so it can't contact the film. The layers of film wound on the take-up spool contact each other, but would not affect the whole roll.

The emulsion side does wind outward toward the case on the take-up spool, but tension on the film should keep it tight to the spool - not loose enough to touch the chamber walls.

I guess if the film leader doesn't get "captured" by the take-up spool "fingers" the film could advance by the sprockets and not wind tightly on the take-up spool, thus gliding around on the inside of the chamber, but proper loading should capture the leader so that doesn't happen.

More common are scratches on the back of the film caused by dirt or slight burrs on the pressure plate. We used to cure the "burrs" by lightly burnishing the pressure plate with a very fine, flat, hard Arkansas stone.

Scratches on the emulsion of 35mm film are generally due to dust in the felt light trap of the cassette, or film processing.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tightsqueez said:

After owning FIVE, yes five MP's, including two A la carte versions... I gave up after all of them had various issues, ranging from meter, battery, scratches on film, frame line, film advance, etc. You'd think I would have given up after a third time! Tried to love the camera but quite frankly doesn't live up to NOTHING in my experience. 

Is it better for me to just get it replaced or have it repaired by at a leica repair center?

First talk to your dealer. I feel they do better than talking to Leica repair center directly. Leica NJ will tell you it needs to be sent in... which it’ll fall into a black hole. Who knows when you’ll get it back. With COVID rearing its head again in Germany, things will get even slower. I have a 50 APO in Germany... it’s good as gone now. Ha ha. 

Either way, you want the shortest route back to you shooting. 

9 hours ago, oldwino said:

It seems, since there have been many reports like this, and probably there are more issues that go unnoticed, that Leica cannot make a decent film camera anymore. 

9 hours ago, tightsqueez said:

I can certainly understand the frustration of MP owners who have had issues with their camera.  It is, after all, an expensive piece of equipment and is touted by Leica as being 'Mechanical Perfection'.  But as far as I can tell from this forum and others related to Leica/Rangefinder cameras, issues are relatively rare and not the norm.  And if you're going to hear about them anywhere, it's likely to be here.  So while I can sympathize with those who have had bad experiences with their MP, I don't think that necessarily means that Leica is no longer capable of producing a quality film camera.  There are  218 pages of posts in the "I love my MP" thread, and another 44 in the 'I love my M-A" thread that would indicate otherwise.

@NielA as others have suggested, contact your dealer and let them know what's going on.  If it turns out that the camera is at fault then I'm sure Leica will fix it or replace it.

Edited by logan2z

1 hour ago, logan2z said:

I can certainly understand the frustration of MP owners who have had issues with their camera.  It is, after all, an expensive piece of equipment and is touted by Leica as being 'Mechanical Perfection'.  But as far as I can tell from this forum and others related to Leica/Rangefinder cameras, issues are relatively rare and not the norm.  And if you're going to hear about them anywhere, it's likely to be here.  So while I can sympathize with those who have had bad experiences with their MP, I don't think that necessarily means that Leica is no longer capable of producing a quality film camera.  There are  218 pages of posts in the "I love my MP" thread, and another 44 in the 'I love my M-A" thread that would indicate otherwise.

@NielA as others have suggested, contact your dealer and let them know what's going on.  If it turns out that the camera is at fault then I'm sure Leica will fix it or replace it.

Wholeheartedly agree. I know many users who love and use the camera. I do not discredit any of them by any means. 

I’m just 0 for 5 with MP’s

I just dropped it off today. They'll be sending it to new jersey for check up. The technician at the Leica store in LA told me that he'll try to get me a loaner camera. What are the chances that I do get a loaner camera from them?

13 hours ago, tightsqueez said:

That is a brutal statistic. That’s why I don’t buy new cameras, analogue or digital, anymore. I have others buy new at full price,  test it for me, then take it off their hands at a steep discount 😜

Edited by plaidshirts
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

The fact that the scratches are on the emulsion side would seem to indicate the fault is not with the camera (although it is possible) however the various responses have just illustrated the rather common trend on this forum (and indeed many forums) for negative comments which are not born out by the overwhelming positive experiences of users.  

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 7:17 PM, tightsqueez said:

I am only on my third 😂 Let’s see. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by gabrielaszalos