Voigtlander Apo-Lanthar image thread

Alan Friedman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Marianna, Athens Greece.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone taken shots with the 50mm APO Lanthar with a Tiffen Black ProMist or other diffusion filter? I am curious whether the diffusion filter can soften some of the "too sharp for portraits" criticism that these lenses can have. I am considering selling my 50 Summilux for this lens (don't use 50mm as much but like it for portraits) and am wondering how a diffused/softened approach to this lens might work out. Thanks!

29 minutes ago, eyeheartny said:

Has anyone taken shots with the 50mm APO Lanthar with a Tiffen Black ProMist or other diffusion filter? I am curious whether the diffusion filter can soften some of the "too sharp for portraits" criticism that these lenses can have. I am considering selling my 50 Summilux for this lens (don't use 50mm as much but like it for portraits) and am wondering how a diffused/softened approach to this lens might work out. Thanks!

OK, but you said  "I am considering selling my 50 Summilux for this lens (don't use 50mm as much but like it for portraits) and..."  

Assumed you meant the VM APO 50 since this is the thread.

1 minute ago, algrove said:

OK, but you said  "I am considering selling my 50 Summilux for this lens (don't use 50mm as much but like it for portraits) and..."  

Assumed you meant the VM APO 50 since this is the thread.

Let me clarify. I currently own the 50 Lux. I primarily shoot 35mm but enjoy having a nice 50mm around. I want to get a nicer 35mm, like a 35 Summilux. I can't afford both 50 and 35 Lux, so I am looking for a portrait-friendly 50 to replace my Lux when I sell it. I like diffusion filters for the softer look and am wondering if a 50 APO Lanthar with a diffusion filter might be a "two lenses in one" option where with a diffusion filter it'll be softer and easier on skin for portraits, but sharp and crisp without the filter for landscape/cityscape work. I could save myself over $2k if I sell the Lux and get the APO Lanthar. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

35 minutes ago, eyeheartny said:

Let me clarify. I currently own the 50 Lux. I primarily shoot 35mm but enjoy having a nice 50mm around. I want to get a nicer 35mm, like a 35 Summilux. I can't afford both 50 and 35 Lux, so I am looking for a portrait-friendly 50 to replace my Lux when I sell it. I like diffusion filters for the softer look and am wondering if a 50 APO Lanthar with a diffusion filter might be a "two lenses in one" option where with a diffusion filter it'll be softer and easier on skin for portraits, but sharp and crisp without the filter for landscape/cityscape work. I could save myself over $2k if I sell the Lux and get the APO Lanthar. 

For the same money, you could give up on the 35 Lux as well and have everything from CV:

• CV 50 1.2
  • CV 35 1.2 III
  • CV 50 APO
  • CV 35 APO

I would not exchange the 50 Lux for the APO and want to try to make the APO look like the Lux. You're setting yourself up for disappointment, IMO, and the results will not blend well with the 35 Lux for a portrait session.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hdmesa said:

For the same money, you could give up on the 35 Lux as well and have everything from CV:

• CV 50 1.2
  • CV 35 1.2 III
  • CV 50 APO
  • CV 35 APO

I would not exchange the 50 Lux for the APO and want to try to make the APO look like the Lux. You're setting yourself up for disappointment, IMO, and the results will not blend well with the 35 Lux for a portrait session.

Would you think the CV 50 1.2 or CV 50 1.0 would be a better match with a 35 Lux FLE V2 for a more affordable 50mm suitable for portraits? Or the CV 50 1.5 V2? 

32 minutes ago, eyeheartny said:

Would you think the CV 50 1.2 or CV 50 1.0 would be a better match with a 35 Lux FLE V2 for a more affordable 50mm suitable for portraits? Or the CV 50 1.5 V2? 

Here's a good comparison of the 1.2 versus the 1.0 for portraits below. Maybe look at the samples and see what you think best matches your 35. I have no experience with the 1.5, but there is the review thread on FM Forum you could check out.

I prefer 35mm as well as a do it all lens but if I was in your situation I would keep the 50 lux which is prob my favourite Leica lens I’ve ever shot with. 

I currently own the CV 35mm 1.2 III and it’s outstanding on both an M and SL body. As a walk around I use a Minolta 40mm f2 = Summi 40mm f2 which is close enough for me. Really small package when paired with an M body.

I do own a VC 50mm APO and a 1/4 BPM filter (not Tiffen though). I could take some shots for you once the family comes back later today. 

• Like 1

On 1/7/2023 at 6:08 AM, JuveFC said:

I prefer 35mm as well as a do it all lens but if I was in your situation I would keep the 50 lux which is prob my favourite Leica lens I’ve ever shot with. 

I currently own the CV 35mm 1.2 III and it’s outstanding on both an M and SL body. As a walk around I use a Minolta 40mm f2 = Summi 40mm f2 which is close enough for me. Really small package when paired with an M body.

I do own a VC 50mm APO and a 1/4 BPM filter (not Tiffen though). I could take some shots for you once the family comes back later today. 

Would love to see these images if you’re still up for it!

M9 with the Voigtlander 50mm APO. Very happy with this lens and amazing bang for the buck, imho.

Joel

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2021 at 2:16 AM, TheGodParticle/Hari said:

Could it be that this picture shows a fair bit of purple fringing? 

this was shot using a 50mm Summicron. The image still has the camera data

5 hours ago, RennieSolis said:

this was shot using a 50mm Summicron. The image still has the camera data

As apposed to what image data would you have expected? 

Leica doesn't provide Voigtlander lens data, and not many people know how or have the intention to change exif data. The APO is not free of chromatic aberration. Certainly not the samples I've seen nor the Leica 50mm APO copy I had for a few days in December last year.

• Thanks 1

I just got the 35mm Apo-Lanthar. Bokeh is rather nice (f/2 on M10).

Edited by Capnord
  • Like 6

Same at f/8

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

What a coincident, this thread matches my recent  experiment, I feel like I have something to say:

- my front line cameras: M240, M11, CL, Hasselblad

- I Tested all the VM and ZM lenses on these cameras with an adapter if it is needed.

- I own 50 lux, and 35AA. These are also my benchmarks to determine which 50&35 from VM or ZM (zeiss) to buy.

- I completed phase 1 in most of modern 50 ZM and VM lenses (VM 1.1, 1.2 1.5 APO, ZM sonnar and plannar, I did not tried VM Nokton 1 and I couldn't bother with the slower ones) 

- funny thing is that Hasselblad can reveal all the flaws of these lenses including the Leica natives (rendering, purple, sharpness …), part of the reason I wanted to give 50 lux a companion is that 50 lux is not sharp enough when it comes to architecture and portraits,   but then again who use Leica for architecture.

My personal views are :

- if you do a lot of portraits and architecture, then 50 lux is not enough

- ZM 50 lenses for some reasons did not surprise me at all on M 11, even with the legendary Sonnar, on M11 it is weak, maybe I did not get the soul, like what they said Sonnar has a soul, but I don't give it a sht... I just want accurate buildings and faces come out from my M.

- VM lenses are tricky, (I did not tried Nokton F1), for those who said I loved it, I loved my 1.2, I loved my 1.1. I think it could be that  they did not shoot it for special purpose,  or maybe just for daily life or they have not tried the other VM 50mms , I am not try to be rude here... but who is willing to say he does not like his house, his car in the public. 

- 1.1 1.2 are weak in 1.1 and 1.2, like they said , it become sharp from 2.8... so what is the point of 1.1 or 1.2? again, I could not bother to spend too much time on 1.5 

-  VM APO is worth every penny from F2, on M11 in my view it beats lux, on M240 lux wins. VM APO is accurate, sharp from centre to corner... I would like to say if you shoot indoor,   just turn on the bloody lights.

- the only downside I can think of it is that VM APO could be too good to have a style, but if you want to keep the style, my advice is that you stay with lux or 50AA, or even sonnar with a soul, a Leica user should always know what he/she wants from the M 

- it would be interesting to see someone who came across with both 50AA and VM APO can offer some verdicts. 

- I have nearly completed the phase 2 in 35mm, once again VM none APO 35mm and ZM are weak in M11 and M240, the only ZM in both 35&50 I would consider is biogon 2.8 for its compact size , I have not tried 35 APO yet

VM 50mm APO

• Like 5

VM 50mm APO

• Like 3