Rope straps for Leica TL2, CL and other cameras

• 4 months later...

@Dopaco How did that AliExpress rope strap work out for you?

I have a beautiful Rock n Roll leather strap that I love but sometimes I think I may like a rope one that can easily wrap around a lens. 

I've been considering the Leica COOPH as well but am wondering about your experience with the cheaper one.

4 hours ago, Harvard Kiwi said:

@Dopaco How did that AliExpress rope strap work out for you?

I have a beautiful Rock n Roll leather strap that I love but sometimes I think I may like a rope one that can easily wrap around a lens. 

I've been considering the Leica COOPH as well but am wondering about your experience with the cheaper one.

The ones from Aliexpress are thinner than the ones from Leica COOPH, but they are sturdy and can be rolled more easily, but they were only 100cm long and I wanted them to be 126cm, so I could cross it.
Crossbody type.

One flaw of the Leica Cooph is that it does not have a metal ring guard and could scratch the camera.

Those of Aliexpres do have said protector.

The one I bought, additionally I put the protector on it and now I like it,

@Dopaco Thank you for your reply. That is very helpful. 

I got ahead of myself and looked at a few different types. I ended up purchasing two 126cm Hyperion rope straps (black with red binding; and Olive/Black with brown binding).

The protective leather rings are very important and that sounds like a significant oversight by COOPH.

I have a couple of rope straps - one COOPH, one cheaper - but they’re both shorter than i prefer. Occasionally I’ll pick up the very pretty COOPH strap, but I never put it back on the camera

I’ve done the Peak Design thing, but i would only use that system on a camera with a flip screen, as I’ve previously had a screen damaged by an anchor pressing against it in a bag.

My current choice is Lucky Straps. Lovely soft leather in a variety of widths with a quick release system that doesn’t require any bits to remain on the camera the strap is removed.

I have a bunch of very nice rope straps, but like others have moved to the Peak Design strap system for most of my use. The best thing about the PD strap system is that I can leave the anchor disks on the camera and get the strap on and off in a few seconds ... I hate having straps dangling around when working with my camera on a tripod or copy stand, they're always getting caught and tangled on something. 

How stylish a strap is proves to be without a doubt the very least important criteria for my use... LOL! 

G

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I never considered rope straps until reading this thread though one of my used film Ms came with a black silk Artisan & Artist rope strap that I remember was very pliable and comfortable to hold in hand; just didn't think of using then as I was used to leather straps.  After leaning toward the Leica-COOPH rope strap initially, I went to the Los Angeles Leica store and looked at all of their offerings.  The COOPH was actually significantly heavier and less pliable than the A&A ACAM 312N which although more of a ribbon than a rope, can still be wrapped around the wrist easily.  It is very different from the leather straps I have been using and due to it being so flexible, can be wrapped around the camera and put in my bag with ease.  I actually bought 2, one each for my TL2s and can have a very lightweight system of 2 cameras/lenses in a small bag carried all day.

A&A 312N

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2021 at 11:28 PM, ymc226 said:

I never considered rope straps until reading this thread though one of my used film Ms came with a black silk Artisan & Artist rope strap that I remember was very pliable and comfortable to hold in hand; just didn't think of using then as I was used to leather straps.  After leaning toward the Leica-COOPH rope strap initially, I went to the Los Angeles Leica store and looked at all of their offerings.  The COOPH was actually significantly heavier and less pliable than the A&A ACAM 312N which although more of a ribbon than a rope, can still be wrapped around the wrist easily.  It is very different from the leather straps I have been using and due to it being so flexible, can be wrapped around the camera and put in my bag with ease.  I actually bought 2, one each for my TL2s and can have a very lightweight system of 2 cameras/lenses in a small bag carried all day.

A&A 312N

Hello: @ymc226

Thanks for the information and the link.

The COOPH belt I bought for my TL2 is strong and beautiful but somewhat heavy and stiff, and when it comes to storage it takes up more space, weight, and stiffness. (As you may have appreciated).

I looked at the Artisan Aca 312 N, which is a tape, but what I liked the least is that it is 100 cm long and 8 mm thick, which is short to carry as a shoulder bag.

So I chose the Aca 306 which is 120cm extra long in silk and I think it is a round rope but 8mm.

I ordered it today, looking at photos, when I arrive I will inform you.

The prices of these ropes are high and varied. (According to Houses where you buy them).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Dopaco
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have received the Artisan Aca 306 rope strap which measures 120cm extra long in silk and 8mm thick.

It comes in a cardboard box and inside the invoice and a bag like the one in the photo.

Being made of silk, it is strong and flexible at the same time, which makes it easier to handle and takes up less space when stored in a bag.

To see photos:

Edited by Dopaco

I would like to make a preliminary recommendation of Dead Cameras... https://shop.deadcameras.com/

Just received a wrist strap and did some pull tests on it and first impressions are overall very good.

Also made in the EU for those of us who live there and want to support local manufacturers!

Edited by eobet

I just picked up a Peak Design Leash strap, it has detachable clips and cloth attachments to the camera. I really dislike  undoing the round or triangular spring camera attachments. I had been using the CL box strap and noticed a little wear on the camera, no protective flaps. The Peak Design strap is really comfortable on, but is long and at the length I like has some doubling up, whcih is a minor complaint. With the clip attachment I can easily put on a rain cover, which before meant dealing with the little round springy things.

• Like 1

When I got my Q2, the first strap I had on it was a light blue Vi Vante rope strap that I ordered from Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Vi-Vante-Sheetline-electroplated-mounting/dp/B07QYCJNVG/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Vi%2BVante%2BLuxury%2BSheetline%2BRope%2BCamera%2BStrap%2Bwith%2BNapa%2BLeather%2BEnds%2Band%2BElectroplated%2BMounting%2BRings&qid=1636208722&sr=8-1&th=1    These are nice straps for not a lot of money. 

I have always liked the Artisan & Artist 120 cm. braided silk rope camera straps, but have never sprung for one for some reason. 

At present, my Q2 wears a steel gray Artisan & Artist easy slider strap. 

• Like 1