More time to edit a post?

logan2z

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Is it possible to configure the forum software so that the creator of a post has a bit of time to edit it before the 'Edited...' text is displayed?  It would be nice if one could immediately fix a typo or make some other small edit within a few seconds of posting before the post is flagged as having been edited. 

Just a suggestion...

• Like 1

I'm not sure if the software allows for a "free edit" time period.

Is it really such a big deal? Probably half of my posts are edited to correct typos or grammar, especially if I am using my phone to post. The fact that it says "edited" underneath has never bothered me.

• Like 1

Really annoying is my I pad’s regular habit of changing words it does not like. I write something and find an odd word has been changed, especially names of cameras or lenses. Then if I spend a longer time thinking about what I am writing when I go to “submit reply” I find that I have been timed out and have to log in again, at least what I had written had been saved and reappears when I go back to writing.

On 3/22/2021 at 6:40 AM, andybarton said:

Is it really such a big deal? 

Not a big deal, I just find it annoying that my posts are flagged as 'edited' if I fix a silly typo within two seconds of my post submission.  Most forums I participate in give one a 'grace period' in which their post can be modified before it is flagged as being edited.  Just thought it would be nice to enable it if the forum supported it.  If not, then no problem.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

FYI, it looks like this feature has been requested by Invision users more than once (I found a handful of threads on the Invision support forums), but it's not clear if it has ever been incorporated in the forum software:

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/450716-feature-configurable-editted-by-time/

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/442488-edit-silently-grace-period/

I use another current Invision-powered forum - and it allows editing for hours before an "edited" tag appears on a post. As well as allowing editing virtually indefinitely (not just for an hour).

So those are not a limitation of Invision - just an arbitrary decision by the site.

I've gotten used to being tagged with "edited" just because I fix a missing period, but I consider it некультурный (unsophisticated).

• Like 3

I have requested this several times. And for people who don't have English as their mother tongue, this is not just about autocorrect on an iPad. After posting I often see that I have written something wrong, and I find it a little embarrassing to have almost every post tagged with "Edited".

Edit:

This post is no exception.

Edited by evikne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, andybarton said:

To be honest, I don’t care whether there is an edited note under a post. 

Easy for you to say. I have seen that moderators have the possibility to edit their posts discreetly, without being tagged with "Edited". 😉

1 hour ago, andybarton said:

Andreas has set up the forum the way he wants it. 

I'm not sure if this is something he has chosen on purpose, or if it's just how it works until something else is decided.

17 minutes ago, evikne said:

Easy for you to say. I have seen that moderators have the possibility to edit their posts discreetly, without being tagged with "Edited". 😉

They don’t. 

All my edited posts say so (at least they have done in the past)  

9 hours ago, evikne said:

I'm not sure if this is something he has chosen on purpose, or if it's just how it works until something else is decided.

Maybe @LUF Admin reads this sub-forum and will chime in.  I don't personally see a downside to a short grace period for edits before the post is flagged as 'Edited'.

I usually edit my posts straight after writing them - I have a mind anomaly that stops me seeing obvious errors before I press 'submit'.
It has never occurred to me that an 'edit' marker could be considered a comment of on someone's english or anything else - nor has it ever worried me.

And in an online debate where protagonists are live at the keyboard, it is irritating to find that the previous poster has edited their post after you have just comprehensively refuted their argument in a following post! 

Edited by LocalHero1953
Edit 1. Typo 'of' for 'on'. Edit 2. To add a sentence I just thought of.
  • Like 2