"Super Resolution" feature in the new ACR

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hat tip to Steve @250swb for the heads up, but ACR now has an enhance function to double the resolution of your images, which may or may not be helpful.

I have just tried it out on the first DNG I could find, of some trees in a wood. The "Enhance" mode has added some pale cyan fringing to the image that I have not been able to get rid of (it is the sort of shot that would encourage fringing, to be fair)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You are also going to need a bigger HD if you do this often...

• Like 1

Yes a big fat file, but if you decrease the image size back to match your original I think you'll see an increase in resolution that doesn't look like traditional use of Clarity, or Sharpness, or simply bloating the file size. I don't know why it would introduce any fringing except for perhaps exaggerating a subtle effect that was there. I also tried it with film scans (TIFF and JPEG) opened in ACR and the same effect is evident, more resolution. Obviously it's a software trick, but I don't think it looks artificial like many software tricks, but it needs to be tested. So for making very large prints this looks very good using big fat files, for increasing the resolution of your regular files (with resizing) it also looks good.

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, andybarton said:

You should still have the same time to edit posts that you used to have.

If not, let Andreas know and I’m sure it can be fixed. 

Well I did have to wade through five or six videos before I found one that got to the point, so maybe I'd timed out.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

Well I did have to wade through five or six videos before I found one that got to the point, so maybe I'd timed out.

If you don’t see the ‘edit’ function below, click on the 3 little boxes at top right and it will bring up the function, if not timed out.

Jeff

Actually, one can never increase the resolution  in postprocessing. There is no way to add detail that is not there to begin with. This function enhances existing detail, much like the steepening of the colour curves in LAB* or the 25-50-0 setting in USM sharpening and adds pixels by interpolation. It is a nice shortcut though and probably has a few extra tricks under the hood (content aware technology on pixel level perhaps?).

(*) The cyan fringing suggests that the feature  does work in LAB, which is the base of Photoshop anyway.

It should be distinguished from high-resolution mode in a camera, which really increases the resolution  by double exposure and pixel shifting.

Oddly I can't get Enhance to work in ACR.  ACR complains that I don't have a Metal compatible graphics card, even though Photoshop and Lightroom both see and use the card.  (eGPU - Sonnet eGFX box with AMD WX8200 card)  A thing tool called Enhance does work in Lightroom, although I can't see much difference with the before/after toggle.  I'll have to submit a support requests to Adobe, AMD and Sonnet.  I can live without Enhance if the issue can't be resolved.

10 hours ago, zeitz said:

Oddly I can't get Enhance to work in ACR.  ACR complains that I don't have a Metal compatible graphics card, even though Photoshop and Lightroom both see and use the card.  (eGPU - Sonnet eGFX box with AMD WX8200 card)  A thing tool called Enhance does work in Lightroom, although I can't see much difference with the before/after toggle.  I'll have to submit a support requests to Adobe, AMD and Sonnet.  I can live without Enhance if the issue can't be resolved.

You won't see a difference toggling between the two images in ACR, except the Enhanced one will be much, much larger. Go to the enhanced file (saved automatically) and then downsize it to the size of the original, then toggle and you should see the difference. 

3 hours ago, 250swb said:

You won't see a difference toggling between the two images in ACR

It is a feature in Lightroom.  The Photo/Enhance Detail . . . dialog screen lets one toggle with and without enhancement before accepting Enahnce.  I'm still not sure Enhance in Lightroom is the same as Enhance in ACR.

59 minutes ago, zeitz said:

It is a feature in Lightroom.  The Photo/Enhance Detail . . . dialog screen lets one toggle with and without enhancement before accepting Enahnce.  I'm still not sure Enhance in Lightroom is the same as Enhance in ACR.

What I mean is the enhanced image will look the same if you toggle between 'before and after', but the new version is now very much larger. To see the increase in detail you have to re-scale the enhanced image back to the size of the original file and then compare them. I don't know if it is the same feature in Lightroom, that's an interesting question, does it miss out ACR maybe?

20 minutes ago, 250swb said:

does it miss out ACR maybe?

That's my problem.  I can't get Enhance to work in ACR even though my graphics card does have Metal support.  And I don't know if Enhance Details in Lightroom Classic is the same.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!