Leica 18mm Super Elmar f3.8 ASPH filter ring

Steve Oakes

On 3/18/2021 at 8:36 AM, Steve Oakes said:

I have a Leica 18mm Super Elmar f3.8 ASPH which is gorgeous but on occasion I need a filter when using it on my monochrom camera. The filter for this lens is out of production. The s/n is 14 484  and is a 77 mm filter ring.  Does anyone know of one for sale? Thank you. Steve

Thank you very much for your helpful reply. I have placed an order for the filter. 

• 2 weeks later...

I just randomly came across this topic and figured I would post for anyone else in the future who may run into this.

I was able to construct my own out of a simple 58-58mm female-to-female adapter I found online and a 58-77mm step ring. It seems as the front threads for the hood are standard sized 58mm, but of course you don't have the stop/lock action of the Leica made version (and I could not find a brass adapter - only aluminum, so that's a negative). But, I find that if I thread it on gently, it meets up to the red o-ring and provides a secure enough amount of pressure to keep it on nicely, while still easily removable. It also has the added benefit of being able to adapt to other filter sizes - I found that I can get away with a single "slim" 67mm ND. One could potentially use other filters they already own more easily - or step up immediately to something like a 82mm without the need for a 77-82, as with the Leica version.
The final pro/con I have seen, depending on how you look at it, is the lack of the viewfinder cutouts. Some people reported stray lights and ghosting from light reflecting off the back of their filters. If, like me, you don't mind the finder blockage, can't see through it with a darker filter anyway, or use an EVF - it's a non-issue, and certainly a bonus knowing you won't have light leaks. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Has anyone used this lens with a 75mm filter kit such as the Nisi M75 system? This would lroba ly require use of a 58-58mm female to female adapter like the one above. Otherwise a 100mm filter system would be needed to mount on the 77mm filter holder.

Is it possible to stack filters without vignetting? 

I think you will find few of us that have done so. The thing becomes hugeous that way. As to stacking: the wider the angle of view of a lens, the more visible image degradation towards the edges and corners by filters becomes. I would really check if you are happy with the result before you resort to stacked filters.