How to use search feature in Forum?

ironringer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Could experienced Forum users educate me/us how to use the Search feature at upper right? Today I wanted to see user comments about the Super-Angulon lenses. But as usual, after entering key words (Super-Angulon) I do not see links to relevant articles or discussions, only MANY links to non-pertinent Forum discussions.

Am I using the Search feature incorrectly?

You might have noticed that new forum software was loaded on Friday and Admin said that it would take a little time for the Search function to index itself and work properly again so that's likely to be the problem.  Keep trying it over the next while and it should start to work as normal.

Pete.

I think the search function already works after the update.

To search for a specific item it is important to follow some rules:

1. If you start with the feature right on top of the forum's page, it is important to choose the option "Find results that contain all of my search words." If you activate "...any of my search words" you get an enormous number of content where somebody just wrote "super" - with no reference to the lens "Super-Angulon". With this search word and the "all - option" you still get 119 pages in the whole Forum, where a Super-Angulon is mentioned in any posting. There is a second option to find results in "content titles and body" of topics or "content titles only". If you choose the latter your results for "Super-Angulon" will be reduced to 5 pages. You are lucky, since your search word is rather rare. If you just entered "Summicron", or even "Noctilux" the amount of threads with these words in the title would be much larger.

2. Often it is necessary to skip the "normal" search feature on top of the page and to go immediately to the "advanced" search function. To get to the "advanced" section you  click on the little round dot in the "normal" feature without entering a search word . Here you have further options for a more specific search . You might choose "Topics" in stead of "all content". Under "Leica Forum" you may choose a special part of the Forum, e.g. "M-lenses" only in the international part of the Forum. Since the Super-Angulon is an "old" lens the subforum "Leica Collectors&Historica" might be interesting as well. You choose again "all of my search words" to exclude all the "super only" results and may look at the "content titles only". Now you get 2 pages of results which looks rather lucid. 

My search as described above would look like this:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UliWer said:

To search for a specific item it is important to follow some rules:

I have exactly the same settings for my custom stream, except for one, which is awesome. And I didn't know about it.

In the content type filter, I was selecting topics only. Now I can even filter more, and avoid the german language for example, and S mount topics etc. Amazing, thank you for sharing!

Thank you gentlemen for your advice about how to use, properly, the full features of the Search function. This is valuable to us who seek the experience of the many enthusiasts in the Forum.

An excellent, friendly and informative community!

• Like 1