Face tracking AF with Leica CL - how well does it work?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm already using a 35/1.4 Summilux-TL ASPH on a Leica SL2, but I'd like a much lighter load around my neck. (As I write this, I'm still recovering from being too stiff to turn my head from side to side or tilt it back without neck and shoulder pain.) I'm considering purchasing a used Leica CL and used Vario-Elmarit-TL 55-135mm f/3.5-4.5. 

- Does the CL track just human faces, or will it track animal faces too?

- Does the CL allow you to choose the initial AF point? 

- How well does the CL track moving faces at f/4.5 - does it lose focus with a subject moving towards you erratically at 3 MPH? At 15 MPH?

- How long is the battery life (# of shots) using just the EVF (no LCD)?

- I know the camera lacks external ports of any kind. Is there an external power solution using a dummy battery with cable to a USB external battery?

Thanks.

Face detect works well with CL. 
Don’t be too far away from the subject. 

it tracks only human. 

For other things use tracking AF mode. You can choose initial point and it will stick to it. It works relatively well. Do not expect Sony or Canon level. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

The CL is at least a generation or two behind the SL2, so don't expect an improvement if you switch. When I want the CL for moving subjects, it is normally for children, and I gave up trying to use tracking a long time ago. OTOH, I just use AFs with face recognition (which defaults to multi-field focus when it can't find a face) and manage just fine. I doubt there will be a firmware improvement to this - the CL2, when it comes, will probably make a big difference, depending on how much processing power the new body has.

As for battery life: how long is long and how short is short? It depends on too many things. For me, using the EVF-Extended option for the rear screen, short sleep settings, and AFs, I would normally take one spare battery with me if I'm going out for the day as a tourist - two spare if I really want to be comfortable, but I rarely use them all. CL battery life is much shorter than for the M240 or SL, longer than the Sigma fp (which uses the same battery as the CL) and still shorter than the SL2-S, but I haven't had the chance to use the latter in normal circumstances yet. In summary, the CL's battery life is on the short side of good, but I'm willing to live with it for the sake of a small body.

If the CL2 has an uprated processor for better AF and speed, and especially if it has IBIS, I don't expect battery life to be any better, even though I expect a slightly bigger battery and better power management. 

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1