FOMO: No native Leica L-mount Lens for my SL2-S :(

augustwest100

Advertisement (gone after registration)

13 hours ago, Slender said:

Sure, I am not denying any of this. I took wonderful moments through crappy lenses that sells for 30-80euros on half functioning Topcon cameras... Loved it. My opinion was and remains that, if you can shell out 7500 euros on a perishable digital cameras, it is also -perhaps- wise to consider sparing a bit of that for good, durable lenses as well. By durable I dont mean physically -- those cosina offerings really are nice both optically and mechanically --- but let's be honest, I am talking about the "poor man pays twice" proverb... or our french version of "le bon marche, c'est toujours trop cher". Meaning that if I go out tomorow and get a Voigtlander 50 1.2 (I think I would prefer 40 for a buy like this but....) instead of the lens I truly covet since its launch: SL 50 1.4 "because I can have it tomorow".... well chances are the "real" goal will remain up there in my head regardless of how good what I got instead is. And eventually I would buy another lens yet again

True and guilty as charged although I saw the 1.1 as a poor mans Noctilux not a Summilux. That was the 1.5 which was actually a very very nice lens indeed. Even the current version hasn't swayed too much optically from the LTM version I bought for my M9 (and I still  have it).

It should be noted that I'm a tad obsessed with the 50mm optic. Especially fast ones. Usually I'll have over a dozen 50's on hand for various mounts and cameras. Right now I have 6 M mount 50's and about 10 more (including 50 equivalents in other formats) in other mounts. I don't have a Noctilux or a 1.1 Nokton any more but I do have the CV 50mm 1.2, 1.5M and 1.5LTM plus two Summilux ASPH's. I also have both the SL50's plus the Panasonic. Yes. I know it's a bit obscene having so many lenses of a single focal length but I can't help myself.

Gordon

• Like 1

IMHO, you have to have both SL APO 50mm and 35mm.  Also, you need the SL 16-35mm zoom.  These three heavy chunks of glass perform miracles for SL.  The consensus of the pundits was that the SL 50 APO is even better than the M one, which revolutionized the space.  And then the SL APO 35mm is Peter Karbe's favorite, and is a great lens indeed.  And the wide zoom beats the WATE and is just crazy.

I also have the Sigmas, (small) 85/1.4, 24/3.5, and the 24-70 zoom, and they are just superb.  I always carry at least one APO and then perhaps a Sigma.  The 24mm is dramatically smaller than all others and makes me think of M.  It certainly makes SL2 feel different.

So I'd say, get at least one APO, 35mm or 50mm based on your preferred focal length.  And try the short zoom.  Zoom + 50mm is a good native combo.

Edited by setuporg
  • Like 3

As a strange update: I had the chance to grab one of the new 28-70 Sigma 2.8's. It was a little less expensive and lighter than the alternatives. With that basic zoom range covered, I feel like I have a few more options available now, either to get one really good Leica L mount APO 35 or 50 down the line, or get another M mount lens for my SL2S/Future M.

I tend to think in extremes. In my case that would mean getting either the best performing zoom, which would seem to be the Leica 24-90 or the lightest, least expensive zoom, which is the Sigma 28-70.

So far, I must say, I have no issues at all with the Sigma lenses. They fit my size and budget for now. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

For information of members who has purchased the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 lens, here’s Sigma’s news issued on 23 March.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2021 at 9:48 PM, Chun Wah LAM said:

For information of members who has purchased the Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 lens, here’s Sigma’s news issued on 23 March.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks for this - I ended up returning the 28-70 because my model was in fact one of the affected model numbers. I ended up getting the Panasonic 24-70, so for a brief time I actually owned 3 different standard zooms: the Sigma 24-70 (used), the Sigma 28-70, and then the Panasonic 24-70 that I have now. My 30 second review, for what it's worth: The Sigma 24-70 build quality did not seem to hold up on the used specimen that I tried, and made me lack confidence in it. The 28-70 hit the sweet spot for me, in terms of size and weight, but I did notice that the 28 felt not wide enough and the 70 felt not tele enough! The 24-70 Panasonic is excellent quality as far as I can tell, and the focus clutch is an awesome bonus. However, it already makes me wish I went for the 24-90 after all. In the end, I think I made the right choice in terms of balancing the price, the fixed 2.8 aperture, the quality, etc.., once I have enough use of this lens, perhaps I can post another update. Thanks again for the heads up on the 28-70 issue. Once they work that out, I think it is a pretty good "kit" lens for people trying to keep the size and weight of the SL system on the light side.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, augustwest100 said:

Once they work that out, I think it is a pretty good "kit" lens for people trying to keep the size and weight of the SL system on the light side.

The issue has already been resolved

https://www.dpreview.com/news/1567066764/sigma-has-fixed-ghosting-issues-with-its-28mm-f1-8-dg-dn-lens-is-replacing-affected-lenses