Noctilux f/1 vs f/1.2 (re-edition)

alainD

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/16/2021 at 7:39 AM, alainD said:

Two more self portraits, with the focus now on my eyes. Processed to add contrast. Identical process on both.

First picture is with the f1, second with the f1.2 (re-edition)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

What’s in focus here with the 1.2? I see NOTHING. This is disheartening. 

37 minutes ago, tightsqueez said:

You are not looking at the right pictures. Look some of the great images shot out in the field with this new lens in a few different posts. I sent you a reply to your private message in regards to this as if you or any other shooter on here is expecting Leica 50 1.4 Asph sharpness then you have misunderstood what this new version of the original 1.2 design was ever meant to provide as it is a 1960's lens design. It is however a lovely lens which possesses a very similar rendering to the original 1.2 version as it should, but what I find fascinating is from F2 on up it is remarkably sharper than my 1968 original copy along with much better contrast so its like having two lenses in one, the original rendering at 1.2 and a more capable modern lens from F2 on up. The size of this lens is also fantastic as is the build quality which is the best of any modern Leica alloy bodied lens, very stout, perfect aperture clicks and silky smooth focus action plus it just feels stout and as if it will stand up to a lot of wear and tear. 

You may want to ask yourself what it is you are expecting this lens to provide to you. For me its spot on as it was successfully developed in the vein of the original only made better as you open up the F stop. Lovely lens but just be sure of your expectations. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, tightsqueez said:

Here is another picture from the same set. cropped around my face. Maybe better focusing?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 4 months later...

Guys, if you are looking for sharpness, you are not likely to find it. These lenses are not sharp lenses, and even in the best case it is extraordinarily difficult to get these lenses in focus in a mirror portrait, as the DOF is so small that by the time you take the picture, you have likely moved enough just by breathing to have taken it out of focus. I don't think camera shake is the issue here...especially because f1 or 1.2 lets in so much light.

Personally, I think the Noctilux looks best to better isolate subjects at mid distance...trying to nail it at close focus is rough and the DOF is often too small to be usable anyway. But at mid distance the shallow DOF can really set something off the background beautifully in the right conditions.

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/2/2021 at 7:53 PM, OR120 said:

Just curious - I might have missed the shutter speed for your camera while taking the two close shots of your face.

What was your shutter speed?

1/125s. I think this is not high enough. Since then, I've had better results using 1/250s or higher.

2 hours ago, alainD said:

1/125s. I think this is not high enough. Since then, I've had better results using 1/250s or higher.

I’m sure you’re right.  My default setting for the M10 Mono is auto ISO and a shutter speed no lower than 1/250.  Of course the high ISO performance is so good, and a 3 stop ND filter helps when using a Noctilux wide open!

I‘ve done a comparison video on YouTube, if you search "Jimmy Cheng Noctilux 1.2" should be able to find it. Anyways, my findings are a bit different. At inf, the f1 is a lot sharper both in the center and at the edge, while at mfd, the f1 is a bit sharper. In terms of rendering, the f1.2 is actually a bit smoother, while the f1 being quite a bit more "classic" in the bokeh. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JimmyCheng said:

I‘ve done a comparison video on YouTube, if you search "Jimmy Cheng Noctilux 1.2" should be able to find it. Anyways, my findings are a bit different. At inf, the f1 is a lot sharper both in the center and at the edge, while at mfd, the f1 is a bit sharper. In terms of rendering, the f1.2 is actually a bit smoother, while the f1 being quite a bit more "classic" in the bokeh. 

I meant the f1.2 is a lot sharper at inf

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 11:05 AM, Stuart Richardson said:

... the DOF is so small that by the time you take the picture, you have likely moved enough just by breathing to have taken it out of focus. I don't think camera shake is the issue here...especially because f1 or 1.2 lets in so much light.

should be about +- 1 cm so I don't think that is it