Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 DG DN

beewee

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m a bit surprised there’s no thread for this specific lens so I’ll start one now. I just got my sample a few days ago so these are just some initial thoughts below.

Handling:

This lens feels substantial, even though it has a similar weight to the Leica Summicron APO SL lenses. It’s somewhat front heavy because of the large front element but when it is mounted on the SL2/SL2-S, the center of gravity of the camera and lens combo is pretty close to the zoom ring which feels natural as long as you’re operating the camera with two hands, using your left hand to grip the lens by the zoom ring. There’s also a very nice ridged texture on the lens barrel between the zoom and focus ring on the bottom and right side of the barrel (opposite of the AF/MF switch and AF-L button) which does help with the grip. Because of the front heavy nature of the lens, it’s a bit uncomfortable to shoot it one handed and if it is mounted on a ball head, you’d definitely want to use a stronger head with tension adjustment to help avoid the whole camera flopping down forwards.

Focusing:

I’ve had limited time playing with this lens but on the SL2-S, focusing appears to be accurate but somewhat slow, at least compared to the Sigma 24mm f/3.5 DG DN. I imagine there’s a lot of glass to move around but the depth of field is so large, I think this is not really a huge problem. Focusing speed is definitely faster than trying to focus Canon EF lenses via the MC-21 adapter but it is no where near as snappy as the little Sigma 24mm f/3.5 DG DN. If going hyperfocal for focusing, you can have everything from around 2.5m to infinity in focus on the SL2-S at 14mm, and around 5.8m to infinity in focus at 24mm.

Initial Thoughts:

Seeing how I have both the 14-24mm f/2.8 DG DN as well as the 24mm f/3.5 DG DN lenses, I don’t see them as being in competition with each other. Their size difference alone is enough to make the SL2-S feel like a completely different camera. For now, I plan to use the 24mm f/3.5 as my outdoor hiking lens with its compact size and light weight and the 14-24mm will be for more specific applications such as astro photography where I need the widest field of view. 

I won’t comment on image quality for now since I haven’t put the 14-24mm through its paces but I’ll comment on that once I have more time with it.

Edited by beewee
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mick H said:

How does the manual focus ring feel and operate?

Smooth, well damped, precise and linear. None of that accelerated focus if you spin faster silliness. I do also like that it is large enough and far away from other controls that I can manipulated with thick gloves without rubbing my finger tips against other parts of the lens/hood or accidentally pressing a button or turning the zoom ring.

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 12:38 AM, beewee said:

Smooth, well damped, precise and linear. None of that accelerated focus if you spin faster silliness. I do also like that it is large enough and far away from other controls that I can manipulated with thick gloves without rubbing my finger tips against other parts of the lens/hood or accidentally pressing a button or turning the zoom ring.

Thanks for the detailed answer.  It addresses my concerns.  I use an older adapted 14-24 2.8 Nikkor and the manual focus operation is not optimal as it is an AF lens first.  The Sigma 14-24 DG DN L mount is the direct replacement.  But the Pana 16-35 will allow the best functionality (IBIS and MF/AF options and firmware updates) with my S1H.  

4 minutes ago, Mick H said:

But the Pana 16-35 will allow the best functionality (IBIS and MF/AF options and firmware updates) with my S1H.  

I don’t have experience with the S1H but IBIS is supported on the SL2-S when using the Sigma. Lens FW updates can also be performed on the SL2-S, even for Sigma lenses and adapters,

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 3/15/2021 at 5:38 AM, beewee said:

That's interesting, mine doesn't linear focus on the S1, same as the 105.

With Pana lenses I can set through the body the linear/non linear functioning as well as the angle of rotation between mdf to infinity

6 hours ago, Paolou Pigini said:

That's interesting, mine doesn't linear focus on the S1, same as the 105.

With Pana lenses I can set through the body the linear/non linear functioning as well as the angle of rotation between mdf to infinity

Yes, this is my concern with Sigma lenses on the S1H.  My Sigma 35 1.2 DG DN behaves similarly with no linear focus and no selectable focus throw.  This is a huge deficit for manual focusing for stills or video.  Interestingly, the SL 24-90 functions well on the S1H (linear and 90 degree focus throw selected).  

1 hour ago, Mick H said:

Yes, this is my concern with Sigma lenses on the S1H.  My Sigma 35 1.2 DG DN behaves similarly with no linear focus and no selectable focus throw.  This is a huge deficit for manual focusing for stills or video.  Interestingly, the SL 24-90 functions well on the S1H (linear and 90 degree focus throw selected).  

Well, last year I heard on a presentation video of the CEO that those manual focus settings may be fixed via the USB Dock UD-11 for L-mount.

On the website they speak about "MF function operation timing adjustment", that said, I couldn't find reviews and detailed functions description. 

I find unpleasant, however, the necessity of buying this additional device while with other lenses it is possibile to manage the settings just through the menu. 

With the 14-24 I haven't had problems for my use, but the manual focus experience with the 105 macro out of the box is terrible. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paolou Pigini said:

Well, last year I heard on a presentation video of the CEO that those manual focus settings may be fixed via the USB Dock UD-11 for L-mount.

On the website they speak about "MF function operation timing adjustment", that said, I couldn't find reviews and detailed functions description. 

I find unpleasant, however, the necessity of buying this additional device while with other lenses it is possibile to manage the settings just through the menu. 

With the 14-24 I haven't had problems for my use, but the manual focus experience with the 105 macro out of the box is terrible. 

The Sigma 105 is on my wish list too, but if manual focusing is problematic, then I will stick with my adapted 105 Micro Nikkor.  Sigma L glass is not fully compatible with Panasonic bodies at this point.  Going forward, I will have to choose from Panasonic lens options.  I suspect the USB dock is a workaround of sorts so that you can customize the lens manual focus operation (linear vs inertia) independently of the Panasonic body menu system.  I might be wrong.  In any event, Panasonic and Leica have cooperated on SL24-90 functionality on the S1H.  

12 hours ago, Mick H said:

The Sigma 105 is on my wish list too, but if manual focusing is problematic, then I will stick with my adapted 105 Micro Nikkor.  Sigma L glass is not fully compatible with Panasonic bodies at this point.  Going forward, I will have to choose from Panasonic lens options.  I suspect the USB dock is a workaround of sorts so that you can customize the lens manual focus operation (linear vs inertia) independently of the Panasonic body menu system.  I might be wrong.  In any event, Panasonic and Leica have cooperated on SL24-90 functionality on the S1H.  

That's my opinion as well. 

OT:

The 105 is a great lens, if you just shoot on a tripod you shouldn't have problems. I personally use it a lot handheld in woods and I need to pass fast from subjects 3/5 meters away or a tree on the distance, to mfd. To turn the focus ring it's just really slow, so I've set the function button on the lens as "Near-AF focus" (one of the more useful functions in Panasonic cameras) with AF-C, and when I'm close to mfd I switch back to manual. Kind of cumbersome, but without the USB Dock I couldn't manage it any better. 

If you are interested in video, however, this macro lens is simply not a good choice, it makes a lot of noise while manual focusing, and the AF is slow. I use it just for macro details at a fixed reproduction ratio. 

Back to the 14-24:

I agree with beewee that build quality it's good, probably the best I've seen on a Sigma, lens hood included! 

It's actually my first choice for hikes and treks, I find it pretty compact compared to old dslr lenses and the weight doesn't annoy me that much when I'm out in nature, but that is absolutely personal. 

Great lens for lnadscapes and astro, just need to remember to tick the distortion correction button once in front of the computer.

I had this lens for a while on loan from Sigma UK, it is absolutely brilliant on the CL behaving like a 21-35.

It is a bit of a lump but well worth it. I could not afford to keep it sadly and had to return it. The next spare grand I have I would not hesitate to buy this lens.

Hi, 

very good summary of the 14-24. The lens is really, really good. I had it for a few days, but finally send it back as the focal length is for me to extreme and the size and weight of the lens extreme. 

The really akward weight distribution of the lens leads to a, for me, uncomfortable and not very pleasing holding experience. It's like the 80% of the weight are on the front 2 centimeters of the lens. 

Optically it is, considering the focal length, a plain crazy good lens. Yes, THAT good. 

I've moved to the less extreme 3.5 24 as an addition to my 35 and 75 SC-sl and the 105 Sigma macro - which is also fantastic. 

If you need and want to have the 14+mm and are willing to carry the bulk, then the Sigma is the first choice to go. For me, I was sure that it would sit in a usage-niche and I would more often than not leave it home, therefore I've made the for me sensible choice to send it back.  

All together it is a very well build, optically brilliant niche-lens with lots of bulk and it's not cheap, but very price-worthy. 

Cheers

Daniel

Edited by Daniel C.1975
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Daniel C.1975 said:

The really akward weight distribution of the lens leads to a, for me, uncomfortable and not very pleasing holding experience. It's like the 80% of the weight are on the front 2 centimeters of the lens. 

So far, I think the forward shift in the center of gravity of the 14-24 is the biggest negative but I guess that comes with the territory when going with an ultra-wide, large aperture lens. I do wonder how much this differs with the Leica 24-90 SL since you seem to like that lens quite a bit. I’m a bit on the fence with that one. The size and weight is is what holds me back on getting that lens so I’m curious on how you feel the handling compares to the 14-24. 

vor 1 Stunde schrieb beewee:

So far, I think the forward shift in the center of gravity of the 14-24 is the biggest negative but I guess that comes with the territory when going with an ultra-wide, large aperture lens. I do wonder how much this differs with the Leica 24-90 SL since you seem to like that lens quite a bit. I’m a bit on the fence with that one. The size and weight is is what holds me back on getting that lens so I’m curious on how you feel the handling compares to the 14-24. 

That‘s very likely. But I think you confuse me with someone else as I don‘t have the 24-90. It is a tempting lens, but it is large and doubles up by beloved primes ;) My current lenses are the 24 Sigma C, 35 and 75 SC-SL and the 105 Sigma Macro Art

Edited by Daniel C.1975

1 minute ago, Daniel C.1975 said:

That‘s very likely. But I think you confuse me with someone else as I don‘t have the 24-90. It is a tempting lens, but it is large and doubles up by beloved primes ;) My current lenses are the 24 Sigma C, 35 and 75 SC-SL and the 105 Sigma Macro Art

Ah yes, I was actually thinking of Chris Tribble who’s fairly active on the 24-90 thread.

• 1 month later...

I used this lens on a pana s1, image quality was great, but manual focus was not linear, and autofoucs worked okay in afs, but in afc pulsing as with all sigma dg dn lenses was quite distracting and the only reason for which i ended selling it...