digitizing slides

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have started digitizing my slide collection. Colours have remained crisp and accurate after many years. The scan is certainly not a fast process but I am getting good results which need very little post processing, although the actual scanning process is not smooth.

I use an Epson V700 Photo flatbed scanner connected to my IMAC (10.14.6) with Epson Scan software scanning 12 slides in the special tray. Following preview and completion of settings scanning starts. Then, after every couple of slides or so the scanner seems to go to sleep until either I  move my mouse or touch my keyboard which kicks the scanner into action until the next time.

I expected that once scanning began it would run through uninterrupted until all slides in the tray are completed.

From other peoples' experience is this normal behaviour or is there a setting somewhere I need to adjust?

You could try to set computer to never sleep (Energy Saver Preference). That way you can determine if it is an Epson Scanning software issue. I am using SilverFast 9 with my Epson v850 and have no issues.

Epson Scan is pretty bombproof, I've used the scanner for scanning 250mb files and it works fine. So I think the bottleneck is upstream, the power saving solution could be a good place to start, or some problem with saving the file.

I had exactly the same problem with Epson Scan on my V600.   I'd prepare my source media, hit the scan button, then wiggle the mouse to get the scan started.   That was many macOS releases ago.  I'm pretty sure it was some kind of mac/Epson Scan issue, nothing related to the physical scanner.

My solution was to dump Epson Scan for Vuescan.  Given my current scanning workflow Vuescan is a better fit, anyway.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you.

I have tried the time saving tactic but to no avail. There is also a time-out option in Epson Scan but that is not available for the V700. Been in touch with Epson to-day who said immediately they had a patch for this problem in Epson Scan2 which they gave me. I have yet to test if that solves my problem.

Meanwhile, although I usually find Epson to be reliable I shall take a look a Vuescan.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...