Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear all, 

I inherited several screwmount Lenses and want to try /use them on my M10M.

I bought a Rayqual adapter 50/75. I’d need a second one and a 28 and a 35 as well.
I saw some other brands such as K&F are much cheaper (1/3 of the price !)

Do you have any experience with adapters, which brand do you advise ?

Thanks a lot

Didier

I purchased mine from Red Dot Cameras in London  and have had no problems. Although I do not leave those lenses on the camera for a long time and the adapters also work well the the M adapter on the Leica CL too.

3 hours ago, didier said:

Dear all, 

I inherited several screwmount Lenses and want to try /use them on my M10M.

I bought a Rayqual adapter 50/75. I’d need a second one and a 28 and a 35 as well.
I saw some other brands such as K&F are much cheaper (1/3 of the price !)

Do you have any experience with adapters, which brand do you advise ?

Thanks a lot

Didier

Rayqual adapters are possibly the best

A few years ago I bought one made by a company which was, at the time, called Gobe but which has subsequently been re-branded as Urth.

The quality is superb and, a nice pro-environmental touch, for every adapter sold they promise to plant five trees!

This is the current version;

https://uk.mygobe.com/products/m39-lens-mount-to-leica-m-camera-mount-28-90mm-frame-lines?currency=GBP&variant=35444707098789&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=11004237482&utm_term=Gshopping-293946777986&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpsv11-mv7wIVdIFQBh2TKwr1EAQYASABEgJibvD_BwE

Philip.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb jaapv:

In any case make surethat  the adapter has not got a cutout for the infinity button. The  six-bit reader of your camera must be covered.

For some Leica screwmount lenses you definitely need the cutout, otherwise you won't be able to focus. E.g. the 1:3./5cm and 3.5cm Elmars and the 1:5.6/2.8cm Summaron.

The six-bit reader only has to be covered, if one wants to use liveview and/or want's to apply a manually selected lens detection code from the menu. Usually there is no necessicity for either with screw mount lenses. If the six-bit reader is not covered, just shut lens detection off. No problem. 

I primarily use a SL(601) with all sorts of lenses. Screw mount (M39) lenses work fine on EVF cameras (SL etc ) with cheap adapters. 
I manually select the lens type for image correction, especially wide angle vignettes.

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

Another vote for Rayqual adapters.

Sadly they are difficult to obtain in the UK, Robert White no longer stock them. Fotodiox seem to be a fairly good alternative.

On 3/15/2021 at 10:26 AM, nitroplait said:

(Cosina) Voigtländer’s adapters has worked well for me. And, as have been note, some lenses won’t focus correctly without the cutout.

just realised that with my newly acquired Nikkor 28mm f3.5 LTM - I have 3 leica 28/90 adapters but unfortunately none of them have the cutout

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I only have original Leica adapters. The reason for it is that to me, the difference doesn't worth the risk of non using original ones. Please keep in mind that, in photography, precision is everything, and I've seen several cases of people complaining about sharpness issues (specially in the corners) due to lack of perfect parallelism between the mount and the film plane.

Personally I tried once a cheap Chinese adapter for mounting my Nikkor lenses into my A7 and the we (the salesman in the shop and me) had a bad time trying to remove it. It was about to stay stuck to the lens forever, so I went for the Novoflex.

Think on how much your lens or the mount in your camera worth, and if it worth to assume any risk for a few euros.

But that's just my opinion.

Stay safe,

Augusto

Edited by tranquilo67
Posted (edited)

The cheap ones are cheap enough to experiment with making a cutout. If you are using a wide angle lens there should be enough depth of focus (focus not field) to cope with any slight inaccuracy in the manufacture.

I have a mixture of ones with cutouts, not all Leitz originals. The one at the bottom of the picture is nearly all cutout. I believe it is an early one intended for the 21mm f4 Super Angulon.

Edited by Pyrogallol
On 3/17/2021 at 7:45 AM, Pyrogallol said:

The cheap ones are cheap enough to experiment with making a cutout. If you are using a wide angle lens there should be enough depth of focus (focus not field) to cope with any slight inaccuracy in the manufacture.

I have a mixture of ones with cutouts, not all Leitz originals. The one at the bottom of the picture is nearly all cutout. I believe it is an early one intended for the 21mm f4 Super Angulon.

I just bought another Leitz screw to M adaptor. I really only bought it because I was intrigued by the fact that it is another almost all cutout version. The one I showed earlier is for 21 to 50mm lenses, which need the cutout to clear infinity catches,  but this one is for 90mm. The question is why it is almost all cutout when no screw 90mm lens has an infinity catch that needs any cutout at all?

Any ideas? Or is it just another strange variation?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By schattenundlicht
      I effectively ruined my hideously expensive multifocal eyeglasses with LTM-photography (Leica II & III, FED & Zorki)
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! .  
      A little too late, I started experimenting with various washers etc but found that most items increase the viewing distance and lead to incomplete viewfinder / rangefinder coverage, which is restricted enough with eyeglasses on classic LTMs anyway.

There may be some professional solutions around, but I have come up with a low cost, dispensable item, which may not be perfect on aesthetic grounds, but works very well in the field for me. I did not bother with geometric perfection
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! .
      Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! 
      I used a 12 mm and a 6 mm punching tool respectively, and some general adhesive cloth tape from the hardware store.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! 
      My new eyeglasses will arrive next week
      Kind regards
      Mathias

• By trickness
      Sorry for the newb question, I'm considering an SL to go with my 240 and have read lots online but I'm trying to clarify something about using my M lenses with the adapter:

1) Does the SL "know" what aperture an M lens is set at, and reflect that in the data displayed in the EVF? If not, do you set your aperture on the M lens and then manually change the settings to match that on the SL body or....?

2) Does the EXIF metadata in the file of a shot taken on the SL with an M lens via the adapter show the correct lens & F stop information? 

I tried figuring this out at B&H when I checked out the SL but the salesman was clueless - the camera was in A mode and although the 50 1.4 M Lux I had mounted was wide open, the SL was flickering between 1.4 and 1.7 depending on where I aimed it. I assumed that in manual mode it would reflect what was actually set on the lens itself but would really appreciate an answer on how it works from someone actually using an SL with M lenses.

Thank you!
    • By farnz
      As the winner of the last round (Autoportrait / Selbstportrait) it is my great pleasure to set the theme for the next Barnack Challenge. So for the Barnack Challenge #31 I have chosen the theme "Tones, Tones, Tones!"

The dates are:
      Taking pictures:            Saturday 4th February to Sunday 19th February
      Posting pictures:          Monday 20th February to Sunday 5th March
      Voting:                         Monday 6th March to Sunday 19th March 

Good luck!

Regards,

Pete.

As a reminder here the rules:

The Barnack Challenge runs four times a year.

It is open to all Leica User Forum members. 

In order to participate you must shoot a roll of film in line with a predefined theme within a defined period using a Screwmount or early fixed-lens Leica camera. You may use any lens, regardless of age or manufacturer, as long as it is LTM.

Select your shot that in your view best matches the theme and post it onto a single thread set up for the purpose by the organiser in the Barnack Challenge Sub Forum. Post-processing of your image should be kept to a minimum - nothing that couldn't be done in a wet darkroom fifty years ago. You may post your image any size within forum rules.

The thread will be open for postings but NOT for voting to allow all entries to be posted before voting starts. Your entries are not anonymous; feel free to post camera, lens and film details. 

Voting will then be opened. Votes may then be cast on the following basis:

Three points for best, two points for second and one point for third.

Voting runs for two weeks. One vote per member, no voting for your own image.

The winner gets the right to set the theme for the next Barnack Challenge.

------

Als der Gewinner der letzten Barnack Challenge, (Autoportrait / Selbstportrait) moechte ich hiermit das Thema fuer die naechste Challenge bekanntgeben: "Tones, Tones, Tones!" (Töne, Töne, Töne!).

Die Daten:
      Zeit zum Photographieren:   Samstag 4 Februar to Sonntag 19 Februar
      Hochladen des Beitrags:      Montag 20 Februar to Sonntag 5 März
      Abstimmung:                         Montag 6 März to Sonntag 19 März

Viel Spass und Erfolg!

Gruss

Pete.

Zur Erinnerung hier nochmal die Regeln:

Die Barnack Challenge findet vier mal im Jahr statt.

Jedes Leica User Forum Mitglied ist Teilnahmeberechtigt.

Zur Teilnahme muessen Sie einen Film belichten, wobei die Photos dem gestellten Thema entsprechen sollten und innerhalb der angegebenen Zeit enstanden sein muessen. Die Photos muessen mit einer Schraubleica oder einer fruehen Leica mit fest eingebautem Objektive entstanden sein. Alle Objektive mit Schraubanschluss unabhaengig vom Alter oder Hersteller koennen verwendet werden. 
      Waehlen Sie das Photo das Ihrer Meinung nach am besten dem gestellten Thema entspricht und stellen Sie es in den entsprechenden Thread im Barnack Challenge Subforum. Die Bilder sollten nur minimal am Computer manipuliert werden (Post-processing) - nur solche Manipulationen sind zugestanden die auch in einer Dunkelkammer vor 50 Jahren moeglich waren. Sie koennen Ihr Photo in jeder den Forumsregeln entsprechenden Groesse einstellen. 

Das Abstimmen beginnt nachdem alle Beitraege in einem gegebenen Zeitraum eingestellt sind. Ihre Bilder sind nicht anonym, und sie koennen auch gerne den verwendeten Kameratyp, Objektiv und Film angeben. 

Nachdem der Zeitraum zum Hochladen der Bilder abgelaufen ist beginnt die Abstimmung. Jedes Forumsmitglied das abstimmt muss dreimal Punkte verteilen:
      Drei Punkte fuer das beste Bild
      Zwei Punkte fuer das zweitbeste Bild
      Einen Punkt fuer das drittbeste Bild

Jedes Forumsmitglied kann einmal abstimmen, darf jedoch nicht fuer den eigenen Beitrag stimmen. 

Der Gewinner bestimmt das Thema fuer die folgende Barnack Challenge.
    • By Willy ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°
      I'm about to add a collapsible Leica Summitar 50mm F2 lens to my collection (see attached). The lens comes with a genuine Leica m39 to M adapter. My technical question is:

When applying the the M39 adapter to the lens and then applying my M-to-T adapter:
         -   will I be able to properly focus (manually, I understand) on the T, and
         -   will the T camera be able to properly recognize the aperture that I chose ?

Please advise - if you know.
    • By Tanndoktorn
      Hi!

I'm new in this forum and new to leica cameras.

I just bought a Leica T and two Leica lenses (the 35mm summilux 1.4 ASPH FLE & the 75mm APO Summicron-M 2 ASPH) with an M adapter.

Problem:
      The Leica T does not show what aperture I chose on the lens when shooting.
      Neither does Lightroom.

The readout on the screen says: F0.0 regardless of which aperture I choose.

The lenses are 6 bit coded.
      Is it supposed to be like this?

I guess it's ok while shooting, but it would be nice if the EXIF contained what aperture I have used.

B :-)