35mm: Summilux FLE or APO-Summicron?

kengai

Advertisement (gone after registration)

To me, they’re different, and highly compatible, systems. 

I took my X1Dii to a wedding last month - no question the image quality was outstanding, but the hit rate poor, mainly due to missed focus. The few shots I got worth anything blew the socks off the professional photographer engaged for the event. 

I generally prefer the M system for the reasons outlined - lighter, manual, intuitive, outstanding lenses etc. But be in no doubt, the X1Dii is a fantastic system, the interface is intuitive, the camera lively in the hand, and the lenses very good. 

There is something about the M system, though ...

But, if I want the 35mm field of view, I take the Hasselblad with 45mm XCD lens every time. 

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/24/2021 at 3:09 AM, m410 said:

Not really much bigger (if at all)...foto via fstoppers.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Just curious but would i be able to use my 39mm filters if i switch to the tiny hasselblad?

On 3/24/2021 at 3:23 AM, IkarusJohn said:

To me, they’re different, and highly compatible, systems. 

I took my X1Dii to a wedding last month - no question the image quality was outstanding, but the hit rate poor, mainly due to missed focus. The few shots I got worth anything blew the socks off the professional photographer engaged for the event. 

I generally prefer the M system for the reasons outlined - lighter, manual, intuitive, outstanding lenses etc. But be in no doubt, the X1Dii is a fantastic system, the interface is intuitive, the camera lively in the hand, and the lenses very good. 

There is something about the M system, though ...

But, if I want the 35mm field of view, I take the Hasselblad with 45mm XCD lens every time. 

If your hit rate is poor at a wedding your not going to be very popular or get paid!!

2 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

If your hit rate is poor at a wedding your not going to be very popular or get paid!!

You’re quite right!  Fortunately, my hit rate in my paid profession is very high!

The wedding in question was my niece’s, and they were seriously delighted with the half dozen images I gave them. Way more delighted than what they paid for. 

I’m an amateur. Never been paid for an image in over 50 years of photography. Why spoil a hobby?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I thought the OP's question about the 35mm 'lux FLE vs APO 35mm 'cron was quite good. I have the same question in mind. However, this thread somehow got derailed into a discussion about the relative merits of Hasselblad MF and Leica M. Oh well.  I guess I'll take out a Reid Reviews subscription.

• Like 1

Every time I come to read these threads I have to filter though these ridiculous emotions to get to the point. Between the FLE and the APO, having owned both I’ll say the close focus capabilities plus the smaller size really make the APO shine. The summiluxes seem to do best wide open and their creamy draw always stand out when they’re aligned with all the elements that make a photograph stand out. The APO delivers very smooth wide open and the minimal distance opens up many more opportunities. In many ways it’s an only lens, glued to the M11 with an evf set up. Closed down to even a 4 and the hit rate or speed of use jumps up. At f8 it’s a point and shoot. So it’s very versatile which has always been what summicrons are. If I had to choose one I’d take the APO every time. Now if they reissue a new summilux or even a 35 noct I would feel inclined to have both, but that isn’t the case obviously. The APO 35 to me, is the only lens I need. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, BigBabyEarl said:

Every time I come to read these threads I have to filter though these ridiculous emotions to get to the point. Between the FLE and the APO, having owned both I’ll say the close focus capabilities plus the smaller size really make the APO shine. The summiluxes seem to do best wide open and their creamy draw always stand out when they’re aligned with all the elements that make a photograph stand out. The APO delivers very smooth wide open and the minimal distance opens up many more opportunities. In many ways it’s an only lens, glued to the M11 with an evf set up. Closed down to even a 4 and the hit rate or speed of use jumps up. At f8 it’s a point and shoot. So it’s very versatile which has always been what summicrons are. If I had to choose one I’d take the APO every time. Now if they reissue a new summilux or even a 35 noct I would feel inclined to have both, but that isn’t the case obviously. The APO 35 to me, is the only lens I need. 

It’s remarkable how smooth the APO is wide open. Best bokeh I’ve ever used. And how sharp it is wide open, as well. I knew theoretically how much better than the cron asph it was, but now that I’m getting to use it, it’s even better than I expected. 

I have the FLE and the APO, as well as the summilux pre-asph. Below I will attach the same scene from all three lenses, all shot at f/2, at the same speed, ISO 100, on an M10. Which one is the APO? which one is the FLE and which one is the pre-asph?

Lens A is here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lens B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lens C

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can summarize the differences between the FLE and the APO from my experience: 

The FLE in practical applications (meaning handheld, walking around, etc.) is no different from the APO when it comes to center of field sharpness. For objects that are far away, the APO is noticeably better on the edges (e.g., landscapes). 

The FLE has visible chromatic aberrations while I haven't been able to see purple fringing with the APO. 

The APO has more saturated colors. To me, this is the biggest difference in image quality between the two. I find it slightly warmer, but not in the usual sense, more like warmer on certain parts of the spectrum that increase contrast (like fancy sunglasses). This increase in saturation makes the image more contrasty and therefore with more crispness and punch but at the same time gentle appearance overall. The FLE is cooler overall and although extremely sharp and punchy, you see the difference between the two when you see an image side by side with the APO. 

These are the main differences I see. Obvious ergonomic differences are that the APO is significantly smaller (although as heavy as the FLE). The hood of the APO is fantastic, the hood of the FLE makes the lens much bigger. However, there is nothing like f/1.4 when f/2 is not enough, so the FLE obviously offers that. 

The little pre-asph is a gem, on axis is nearly as sharp as the other two at f/4 and smaller apertures, the biggest difference (as expected is on the edges). Bokeh-wise, I prefer the one from the pre-asph, while the APO has the smoothest of the three. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Here are crops of the central region. 

Lens A: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lens B: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lens C

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here are some more to make it more interesting. Same sequence as earlier: 

Lens A

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Lens B

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1