Lightroom transfer

pebbles

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had to change my computer as the old one has finally given up. I have Adobe Lightroom on my old computer , acquired when I bought my Leica new. Can anyone please kindly tell me how I can install it on my new computer. I ban access the old hard drive.

34 minutes ago, pebbles said:

I have had to change my computer as the old one has finally given up. I have Adobe Lightroom on my old computer , acquired when I bought my Leica new. Can anyone please kindly tell me how I can install it on my new computer. I ban access the old hard drive.

In theory, you should be able to download your original version, assuming it was a stand-alone version. Adobe makes it extremely difficult to do so. But persevere.

As I understand it you can use it on two computers, you just can't use it on two computers at the same time. If it's a standalone version I think you had to disable it on one computer by running the utility that I think is under the 'Help' tab, and then you can load it onto another computer.

I had to replace a mother board on my computer and my standalone version of lightroom would not open or let me use the program.  I called Adobe for help and the person talked me through the process did some resets on his end and I was back in business.  

• Like 1

As a follow up this was a procedure I was going through during my last post. I think it stands that if you are using an old version of Lightroom not on the CC you do have to disable it and then download it again on your new PC. For the transfer of my entire old PC to be mirrored in my new PC I bought some transfer software that did the job and on opening Adobe CC in the new machine all I had to do was sign in again, everything including passwords and account details had been replicated.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, david strachan said:

Hi Steve

You mentioned "..bought some transfer software.." .  What was that software, please?

cheers...

There are a few available and generally you need the 'pro' version to transfer all your data and applications. I got Zinstall and it's pretty straightforward to download it to both PC's (connected with an ordinary ethernet cable), answer the question 'old pc' or 'new pc' and then you simply press 'Go'. It took about seven hours to transfer (about 100gb of data and applications) but the programme does all sorts of verifications along the way. And everything worked, I opened Adobe CC and it asked for verification to be used on a new PC and that was it, Photoshop etc. all opened without any fuss. Some applications or web sites needed logging in again, but the passwords were all ready and waiting. 

Another candidate is 'PCMover Pro' by Laplink and this seems to get promoted by Microsoft. But I didn't go with this as it seems to heavily imply you should use their own ethernet cable that isn't even available to ship to the UK. Zinstall do make it clear any ordinary cable is sufficient. Of course you could use WiFi to connect the pc's but I didn't fancy the speed and any interference spoiling the job. If your new PC comes with Win 10 I recommend switching off 'Onedrive' (MIcrosoft's cloud storage facility) either temporarily or permanently as soon as the transfer is complete, or even before you start. I couldn't fathom why my new pc was running so slowly as I logged into websites and programmes again until I realised Onedrive trying to upload 100gb of data to the cloud and which I didn't ask for anyway.

And another edit. If you have Microsoft Office on your old PC and want to mirror Outlook and all your saved email etc. you'll need to uninstall any trial version of Office that comes with a new PC before you start. 

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1