Visoflex question

farnz

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find the Viso excellent for doing macros, particularly with the bellows attached & using the 135 TE

I use the mirror lock up mode for this (red dot setting) and a cable to trigger when shooting studio macros

for telephotos, I shoot the first shot using the black dot setting on A

I then adjust exposure time manually and shoot with the yellow dot setting which greatly improves speed and framing ...I quickly chimp & adjust exposure as needed manually ...this is a good deal simpler than it seems and in yellow dot mode the Viso shoots much like a DSLR ...I use this yellow dot mode technique also for doing field macros

there is no question that telephoto shooting does not fare as well as macros with this combination ...long telephotos are a clear advantage for DSLRs

still I was able to get a 560 mm lens for under $1000 & it takes very sharp photographs mounted on the M8

Arthur,

Is there any difference with the manner in which the 135 TE is mounted to the bellows? I have a bayonet mount for the bellows that takes the whole lens; is it any better to use just the lens-head and bellows adapter?

Thanks,

Henry

• 11 years later...

Sure. Note it takes M-mount lenses and Visoflex adapters. Some adapters work by using a lens head separated from its focusing mount. Others mount but are only good for closeups in original focusing mount.  Best to find the reference regarding what-fits-what with the Visoflex.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, pico said:

Sure. Note it takes M-mount lenses and Visoflex adapters. Some adapters work by using a lens head separated from its focusing mount. Others mount but are only good for closeups in original focusing mount.  Best to find the reference regarding what-fits-what with the Visoflex.

awesome, I only use it with 90mm cron and R adapter for 180mm telyt.

one more question... I also have 24, 35 and 50mm lenses and it seems like all my M lenses will have micro focus using visoflex 3.  am I correct?

1 hour ago, jaeger said:

one more question... I also have 24, 35 and 50mm lenses and it seems like all my M lenses will have micro focus using visoflex 3.  am I correct?

In my modest experience I can focus best with a helical apparatus. Focusing a lens via rails driven by a thumb screw is more difficult. (Microscopes with their super fine mechanics are different, very good.) But that's maybe just me.

Another thing - I have not yet tried the M10 on a Visoflex. On the M9 the mirror-lift just fit and worked well enough. M10? Dunno.

If you are better with the forum's search facility than I am you might search posts made by user Lincoln who posted with pictures his Visoflex experiences. He seems to have dropped out. I miss him. Think good thoughts for him. He is a Vietnam vet under treatment for long-term war injuries.

Best of luck and enjoy, for that is why we are a community.

Edited by pico

Advertisement (gone after registration)

43 minutes ago, pico said:

In my modest experience I can focus best with a helical apparatus. Focusing a lens via rails driven by a thumb screw is more difficult. (Microscopes with their super fine mechanics are different, very good.) But that's maybe just me.

Another thing - I have not yet tried the M10 on a Visoflex. On the M9 the mirror-lift just fit and worked well enough. M10? Dunno.

If you are better with the forum's search facility than I am you might search posts made by user Lincoln who posted with pictures his Visoflex experiences. He seems to have dropped out. I miss him. Think good thoughts for him. He is a Vietnam vet under treatment for long-term war injuries.

Best of luck and enjoy, for that is why we are a community.

Pico M10 does accept Visoflex III very well and can be used with optica pentaprism of "old timer Visoflex",

or lighter setup with M10 + Visoflex 020 (electronic EVF or even LV) and optical prism removed.

Have a look at this Visoflex thread

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

and this

Not the smartest setup,

but results are nice.

• Like 1

Congratulations on joining the Visoflex fraternity.  I imagine you've gotten a hint of how bright the viewfinder is in low light.  Years ago some used the viso for their available light photography because of the ease of focusing and bright finder. More to the point: you need (I did say need) a copy of Andrew Matheson's Leica and Leicaflex Way . It contains a wealth of Leica info, particularly that relating to lenses, adapters, and the like for Viso use.  It will save you countless hours of getting bits of info one at a time.  Make sure to get an edition after the introduction of the M series. The book usually sells cheap and is one of the great buys out there.  I absolutely guarantee you will consider it a real bargain irrespective of price. Best of luck with your viso. Regards, Ron

• Thanks 1

If you can find one,  the very last viso 3`s had a screw that can be shortened to fit the taller body.   It has a red badge instead of traditional color.  I have one of each.

Mine was the Leica reps sample with a black 65 at close out.

Very hard to split the screw the first time. 

Yes, I am getting the VF3 (black logo) and for whatever reason there are extra characters after the model numbers 16497D & 16499P; not sure what the D and P stands for but they looked the same as others.  I love the micro capability of old VF as well. 

Double check all the connector rings.  Make sure the numbers are compatible with the lens you are using.

Sounds as if you have one of the adapters wrong...too thick...will make only close-up available.

Try this link, it has some schematics which show the combinations.

http://elshaw.tripod.com/Visoflex/Visoflex.html

Hope this helps.

Edited by david strachan
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, david strachan said:

Double check all the connector rings.  Make sure the numbers are compatible with the lens you are using.

Sounds as if you have one of the adapters wrong...too thick...will make only close-up available.

Try this link, it has some schematics which show the combinations.

http://elshaw.tripod.com/Visoflex/Visoflex.html

Hope this helps.

I don't have or use any adapters.  I thought V3 will work with all M lenses?  Both side are M mounts on the V3.  Please advise?

Hello jaeger,,

When you put the entire "M" lens on the front of any Visoflex you have increased the distance that the lens elements are away from the film/sensor plane by the thickness of the Visoflex itself. That is 41 millimeters in the case of a Visoflex III. This is the same as focusing your lens an additional 41 millimeters closer than what the lens is already set at.

Some Visoflex only lenses are built to compensate for that. Some rangefinder coupled lenses separate into pieces with the optical unit fit-able to an adapter that compensates for that. Some rangefinder coupled lenses do not come apart & are mostly usable at close distances only.

Which lens are you using with the Visoflex III so that the image is only in focus at very close distances?

Best Regards,

Michael.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello jaeger,,

When you put the entire "M" lens on the front of any Visoflex you have increased the distance that the lens elements are away from the film/sensor plane by the thickness of the Visoflex itself. That is 41 millimeters in the case of a Visoflex III. This is the same as focusing your lens an additional 41 millimeters closer than what the lens is already set at.

Some Visoflex only lenses are built to compensate for that. Some rangefinder coupled lenses separate into pieces with the optical unit fit-able to an adapter that compensates for that. Some rangefinder coupled lenses do not come apart & are mostly usable at close distances only.

Which lens are you using with the Visoflex III so that the image is only in focus at very close distances?

Best Regards,

Michael.

tried, 50 summilux V2 and 90 cron APO.  no luck...