Nicht immer nur Kaviar ... (English Version)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/10/2021 at 6:32 PM, willeica said:

That book on Corfield by John E Lewis has a lot of stories which are too long to tell here. It is out of print, I think. The one in the photo above was borrowed from a fellow collector who had been given a copy by Mr Lewis. .

William

A new and enlarged edition of the book was published in 2013 under the title 'Corfield Cameras: A History & Collectors' Guide'. It was published by the author, John Lewis, with the ISBN 978-0-9561477-0-7, and my copy cost £10.95 from Peter Loy's stand at Photographica a few years ago. It appears to be available still from this link - http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/CorfieldCameras/corfield.htm

Alan

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nf3996 said:

A new and enlarged edition of the book was published in 2013 under the title 'Corfield Cameras: A History & Collectors' Guide'. It was published by the author, John Lewis, with the ISBN 978-0-9561477-0-7, and my copy cost £10.95 from Peter Loy's stand at Photographica a few years ago. It appears to be available still from this link - http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/CorfieldCameras/corfield.htm

Alan

I will see if I can get a copy of the new edition. I borrowed a copy from fellow collector, Tony Hurst (Nikon Society etc), but I had to give it back to him. Tony's copy had a dedication to him signed by John Lewis. Tony's own book for Grays of Westminster contains some of the most stunning photographs of cameras that I have ever seen. We have meetings of a little camera collectors' group at Tony's studio here in Dublin. I am the 'Leica guy' in the group. Paul (pgk) has also visited there on his his various trips to Dublin.

William

Hello William,
I am posting a picture of the Tessar 18 cm lens, I think it is the old model, there are 2 serial numbers, is this normal?
Philippe.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

vor 45 Minuten schrieb PG Black nickel:

Hello William,
I am posting a picture of the Tessar 18 cm lens, I think it is the old model, there are 2 serial numbers, is this normal?
Philippe.

quite normal at that time, the number next to Zeiss is the serial number, DRP means Deutsches Reich Patent, goole helps you https://patents.google.com/patent/DE142294C/pt-PT

1 hour ago, PG Black nickel said:

Hello William,
Philippe.

Here is my one. It is much later than yours, perhaps around 1928, and it is in a dial set Compur shutter mount. . There is a serial number on the lens front, which I believe to be the lens number.

Then there is another serial number after D.R.P.  and before D.R.G.M. which , as romanus53 says, is the patent number. Advice on what D.G.R.M means would be welcome, maybe it is for a trade mark as opposed to a patent

And we are not finished yet with numbers, as the Compur shutter also a serial number on the side.

Finally it will be note that the top of the lens mount /shutter front has Contessa Nettel written on it. Around 1926 Zeiss Ikon acquired Contessa Nettel from Dr August Nagel and the cameras from that time onwards contain varying references to Zeiss, Contessa and Nettel .

I may have mentioned Anastigmat in connection with this lens, but I may have been thinking of another Zeiss lens in my collection.

Finally, I would love to know what type of shutter is on your lovely brass mounted 18cm Tessar.

William

• Like 2

Thank you Romanus, I learn a little more every day with you...I had also noticed that on a compur (mounted on a Mollier "cent vues" camera) but with a different number and had not questioned it more than that !!! and I see that there is the same number as on the one in William...

For the shutter it's a 2 curtain system and a mirror tilt...when you press the lever on the left. It's very complicated to explain, it's specific to Goerz it seems and it must be the same as on Pierre's.
It works well on my camera but not the speeds! 

Philippe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 10 Minuten schrieb PG Black nickel:

Thank you Romanus, I learn a little more every day with you...I had also noticed that on a compur (mounted on a Mollier "cent vues" camera) but with a different number and had not questioned it more than that !!! and I see that there is the same number as on the one in William...

For the shutter it's a 2 curtain system and a mirror tilt...when you press the lever on the left. It's very complicated to explain, it's specific to Goerz it seems and it must be the same as on Pierre's.
It works well on my camera but not the speeds! 

Philippe

So your brass-Tessar is in "Normalfassung" which made larger apertures possible and needs a focal-plane-shutter or some other curtain-system mounted in front of the lens or between lens and camera, these were common additional equipment-parts, looks like a single-lens-reflex camera. DRGM means "Deutsches Reich Gebrauchsmuster" equals utility model or trademark.

The Largest Camera I built, this is a folding Wet Plate Camera format size 36” x 42”, with a bellows  draw of 7 feet.   The lens was a 48” dallmeyer process lens.   It focuses by a draw rod from the rear, folds up like a cycle wizard camera, all into a box.  It takes two men to carry it around.   The man who ordered itused it in a customized RV.   It amazed my how easily it worked. Rise fall lensboard, the plateholder fit in so nicely..... 

Edited by Ambro51
  • Like 3

Arrived yesterday:

Welta Reflecta, a folding TLR from Freital near Dresden

yours sincerely
Thomas

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, thomas_schertel said:

Arrived yesterday:

Welta Reflecta, a folding TLR from Freital near Dresden

yours sincerely
Thomas

Very nice Thomas. I see that your one has the Zeiss Tessar. Mine has the Meyer Trioplan, a slightly faster, but more humble, lens which still produces lovely images. The Perfektas are truly a different kind of camera. Pressing the side button and watching it explode out like an alien monster still gives me a kick. 

William

• Like 1

Bonjour à tous,
I just received this camera, George Hare stereo in mahogany, I didn't know this brand...I put a bid on this lot like you throw a line into the sea hoping to catch a fish and it worked. It's a superb camera, the bellows are very nice, the lenses are Perken son & Rayement and there are no fungus or scratches. The only problem is that the back with the frosting is missing. I know how to do the frosting but the back is going to be difficult to find. Does anyone know how and where I can find one?
Thanks in advance

Philippe

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, PG Black nickel said:

..... but the back is going to be difficult to find. Does anyone know how and where I can find one?

Congratulations on ahaving a nice stereo tailboard camera! Finding an exact back may be tricky but it is relatively easy to modify an existing back and these regularly crop up on eBay or at photographic fairs. You will need to determine the format and then measure the overall dimensions plus the dimensions of the inserted section, plus thicknesses. If it would help I can photograph a similar Gandolfi back with the required measurements shown. Let me know. Once you have what you need, which is a slightly oversize back, it should not be too difficult to cut it down sufficiently (or find someone to do this) and fit it as the original back would have fitted. As it is a stereo camera, you will also need a middle 'bellows' section; you can see the indent in the middle at the rear where it needs to fit in order to prevent overlap of the two stereo images. Again, looking up stereo tailboard cameras will show how this works. A good site is: http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/entry_C428.html and you can look further through this, but the link is for a Hare camera, and scrolling down to Hare here: http://www.earlyphotography.co.uk/site/companies1.html#H will give you more information, and dating may be loosely possible from the address on the nameplate. Lastly, you can make up a modern back by fitting one in with plywood/card if you intend to use the camera which will not affect it in any way, but it will be tricky to use.

Thank you very much for this precious information...and I will follow your advice either by trying to find an original back or by making it from a similar back....the address is 26 Calthorpe St London so after 1876 if I read correctly

Philippe

• Like 1

I would say make a new back. That is what I have done for my two Edwardian halfplate cameras. I made them to take modern plastic Fidelity type sheet film holders. You may need to make it oversize to cope with the extra width of the stereo format. I would start by getting at least one darkslide/ film holder first and build the camera back to fit that. The only critical job is to ensure the front surface of the groundglass focussing screen is in exactly the same position as the emulsion side of the film.

You may note that this is a left handed back, with the screen sliding out to the left. After making my first one I realised that every other one I had seen was designed by right handed people with the slide pulling out to the right, like everything else manufactured, but that is a whole other topic !

Edited by Pyrogallol
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Pyrogallol said:

I would say make a new back. That is what I have done for my two Edwardian halfplate cameras. I made them to take modern plastic Fidelity type sheet film holders.

You can buy Linhof or similar 5" x 4" backs which are easy to fit onto a plywood plate cut to fit the camera with an appropriate inset (I use blak framing card for the insert - its perfectly robust enough, and most backs use 1/4" (~6mm) ply happliy enough). Quick, easy and vable solution which is not too expensive. But this depends on whether you want to use a camera or make it look good for display. The latter is easiest done with an old, slightly oversize back cut down - its easy to use shellac on the cut suraces and if you sand them down before they are entirely dry they will acquire a suitable 'patina' too!

• Like 1

Like this.

My last home made one. Multi format, 5x4 or 120 roll-film. Note the multi format viewfinder lines on top and side.

• Like 3

I have built nearly 500 Wet Plate Cameras along  with countless backs and ground glass frame.  It’s a simple job for me and could do it from your careful measurements and photos.   (20 years experience ) pm me if you like (please note this is Not meant as a commercial offering merely a way I see here on this Leica forum to help another out , and get what he wants)  I actually have some exceptionally Rare Cuban Mahogany!! 

Edited by Ambro51
  • Like 4

Sorry I am an rescinding the offer because of a PM  regarding Cuban Mahogany and a Lot of legal bullshyt just to let you know Cuban Mahogany is Legally grown and Harvested in Key West Fla and Hawaii. My board is fully legal grown and sold from Hawaii by a wood dealer but as to the back or frame.  Sorry won’t offer any assistance.   

Edited by Ambro51