Nicht immer nur Kaviar ... (English Version)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

There was no evidence of the elements ever having been cemented on my 560.

It is a testament to Leica's lens grinding capability that the elements can be in contact without glue and do not show Newton Rings.  Newton Rings is a symptom of cemented lenses that have glue separation.

https://spie.org/publications/fg10_p11_newtons_rings?SSO=1

20 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

The 560/5.6 Telyt had such an enormous lens hood

The 560/5.6 lens hood is actually not that large.  Here are some approximate measurements (glass outside edge to front rim of hood) from other lenses:  400mm/5 Telyt - 8 cm, 560mm/5.6 Telyt - 10 cm, 560mm/6.8 Telyt - 8 cm, Nikon 400mm/2.8 AF-S - 14 cm,  Nikon 600mm/5.6 old two part lens - 11 cm, Kilfitt 600mm/5.6 - 12 cm, Canon 600mm/5.6 S-Set achromat - 16cm, and (the king of lens hoods) Astro-Berlin 500mm/5 - 25 cm.

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Agfa. The firest one was the Isola of my grandfather. The others have mostly gifted to me, except the Carats and the Optima.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

yours sincerely
Thomas

• Like 10

Nice group of Agfas....I’ll add in a very very popular Agfa Ansco Shur-Shot.  This one was part of my late Fathers collection of box cameras.  He prowled flea markets and yard sales for years looking for a string  set  Kodak,,,, but never found one.   He was rather proud of this Shut-Shot, as it has the original box and appears unused.  

Edited by Ambro5I
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Chalk & Cheese😁.

• Like 9

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A colleague's mother used to work for Gandolfi in Peckham as a secretary. She was always supposed to be organising a tour round their workshop for me and a couple of others but somehow never got round to it. He son was a bit like that as well but always seemed to get away with it. His nickname was Teflon because the s**t never stuck. 

Wilson

Edited by wlaidlaw
  • Like 2

The funny thing about Gandolfi is that despite the longevity of the business and their reputation for building cameras, the film made about them and more, their production is still really poorly documented. They didn't even use serial numbers, so dating cameras is tricky even to within a decade or more sometimes. They seem to have built on a semi-bespoke basis too, so models and specification vary and interchangability of such simple things as film backs is often hit or miss. Great cameras though! I still have 5; 2 x 10" x 8", 2 x half plate (one stamped Gandolfi the other unattributed but obviously from the same maker. Very unusually, this one is brass bound and in teak) and a 5" x 4".

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I love my 75mm 3.5 Planar Rolleiflex (3.5c?) 

the focusing screen was impossible to work with, but I found a Chinese split screen replacement on the ‘bay and I can’t be happier.

photo taken with a Nikon z6ii w a 40mm f/2.0 @2.0

Edited by nitroplait
  • Like 7

Stewartry 105mm f3.5 Lens with 'Made in Scotland' on the side. In reality, it is a Trinol lens made the National Optical Company (a subsidiary of Taylor and Hobson) in Leicester England and this is indicated on the black ring behind the aperture control.. The mount was made in Glasgow by a firm called Montgomery, thus justifying the 'Made in Scotland' claim. Shades of Portugal /Wetzlar, except that this seems to have gone in the reverse direction. 

The lens fits well on my M10 with the aid of an adapter and, indeed, it takes nice images.

William 

• Like 13

5 hours ago, nitroplait said:

the focusing screen was impossible to work with, but I found a Chinese split screen replacement on the ‘bay and I can

For any other TLR screens I think Rick Oleson is the man to go to

https://rickoleson-brightscreen.com/

but a lovely camera, they are a joy to use. His screens have improved the brightness and focusing with my Rolleiflex, Rolleicord, and Minolta Autocord.

I have an Oleson screen in my 3.5 Planar E, which I have to admit I only use very rarely. I use my grey baby Rollei more but it really needs a better focus screen as well. I bought around 2 years ago for not a lot of money, a Rolleiflex 3003, with three lenses, a "made in Germany" Zeiss/Rollei 50/1.8 Planar, from I think the old Voigtlander plant in Braunschweig, a 35mm 2.8, Rollei branded but I think made in Japan by Minolta and a 28-105mm zoom , made by Kirin to a Zeiss design, which is an excellent lens but like nearly all of these, has a stuck diaphragm. The 3003 is the weirdest 35mm camera with both eye level and waist level finders, removable film backs and rechargeable battery packs for the built in motor drive. I believe it cost around 30% more than an R9, so no surprise so few were sold. Almost certainly the final nail in the Franke and Heidecke coffin. There were some 30 different lenses available for it in three price ranges. They made three different 1000mm lenses, 2 conventional and 1 catadioptric - madness. The lenses also fit the Rollei RF QBM mount cameras. 

Wilson

• Like 1

15 hours ago, nitroplait said:

the focusing screen was impossible to work with, but I found a Chinese split screen replacement on the ‘bay and I can’t be happier.

photo taken with a Nikon z6ii w a 40mm f/2.0 @2.0

My Rolleiflex 3.5F which I bought new in 1981 (sorry about the shadow) and my Rolleiflex 4.0FW.

• Like 10

As I mentioned on another thread I am going through 300 items in a collection, belonging to the now defunct Photographic Society of Ireland (founded 1854), at our National Photographic Archive. The objective is to identify and catalogue these items.

One of the first items I came across last week was this Kodak Quarter plate camera with a Bausch and Lomb Unicum type shutter (still seems to be working), branded Eastman Kodak and containing a Bausch and Lomb Rapid Rectilinear lens. I have this down as a No 3 Folding Model D camera from c1904, but any other suggestions about it would be gratefully received.

Apologies for the dust, but this camera had just come out of a box where it had been stored for many years. The shutter is truly the camera's 'Crowning Glory'. The rising front is also impressive.

Thoughts and comments are welcome. 

William 

• Like 5

A photo taken witha Grubb Stereo lens from 1865, mounted on a Sony A7RII using an M adapter and M bellows into which the lens screws using one of the adapters (its very close to but not precisely an LTM thread). Despite being uncoated and old its design, with the aperture forward of the glass and effectively minimising stray light as much as is possible, is such that it handles difficult lighting surprisingly well.

In comparison a shot from a 90mm Elmarit M on the M9 shows better handling of the situation and differing colours but neither could be considered poor photographic images technically.

Edited by pgk
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Among other cameras, my father had this pocket:

coupled rangefinder, lens 2,0/26 mm, time automatic and the option of rcording the date (until 1984)

yours sincerely Thomas

• Like 7

1 hour ago, thomas_schertel said:

Among other cameras, my father had this pocket:

coupled rangefinder, lens 2,0/26 mm, time automatic and the option of rcording the date (until 1984)

yours sincerely Thomas

My wife had one of those Canon 110ED cameras as well. Very handy to use but rather like my Minox 8x11 cameras, unless you use quite slow film the enlargement size is limited by grain. I am also not sure how good the lens was on the Canon, as I seem to get sharper photos from my Minox C than those from the larger 13 x 17mm 110 negatives. It may be that I use either slower 25 or 100 ISO film in the Minox against I seem to recall usually using 400 ISO in the Canon. 

Wilson

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Braun Paxette with Steinheil Cassarit 2,8/45 mm; Staeble Choro 3,5/38 mm and Staeble Telon 5,6/85 mm

yours sincerely
Thomas

Edited by thomas_schertel
  • Like 6

24x24 mm²

1. for 136 cartridges:

2. for Rapid cartridges:

3. for special cartridges:

yours sincerely
Thomas

Edited by thomas_schertel
  • Like 7