Nicht immer nur Kaviar ... (English Version)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

New: Rolleiflex T

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Yours sincerely
Thomas

• Like 10

1 hour ago, thomas_schertel said:

New: Rolleiflex T

Yours sincerely
Thomas

New ?  Good choice Thomas ... 😉 ... anyone who loves cameras can't have at least one of those classics... here's my 3,5 F  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

A TLR from the USA.   I’ve not used this camera since the first roll, probably because of memories of hauling  a bulky TLR years ago.   .....a shame, I’ve not used it more, and Yes it does fully operate.  This is the highest recorded serial number in the second series of Ansco Automatic Reflex Cameras.  Designed by Henry Dreyfuss, a solid chunk for sure!

• Like 4

My Rolleicord 111, given to me by a friend before he died. Another friend has a Rolleiflex T that he bought new in the 1950’s.

• Like 3

We had two groundwork people putting in a new pond in our garden during the last week. I was taking some photos with my IIIa, MOOLY, 35/2.8 Summaron and SBLOO. One of the workers looked at me and said: "What age of Leica is that?" - not quite what I expected to hear. He was fascinated to learn it was 84 years old and still working perfectly. He then went on to say that there were two Rolleiflex cameras, which had belonged to his father, sitting in his mother's attic. As he is now working on my daughter's patio, he is going to fetch the two Rollei's and drop them in to me next week to have a look at and see if they are usable. He thinks they may still have film in them. Sadly my big Rondinax 120 tank is down in France, so if there are films in them, they will have to be taken to the local photo shop for processing. It will be interesting to see what they are. My betting is on a pair of 3.5 Xenotar E's or F's but I might be surprised and find a Wide and a Tele but I doubt it. 

Does anyone know if Brian Mickelboro is still servicing Rollei cameras in the UK, as he did good work and was a lot better value than Newton Ellis?

My local repairman, Kelvin at Protech, has now withdrawn from servicing film cameras and lenses. My M4-P rangefinder vertical alignment, unsticking the diaphragm on my Rolleinar QBM 28-105mm zoom lens (for the Rolleiflex 3003) and replacing the chewed up front group retaining grub screws on my 28 ASPH Summicron-M, are the last three jobs he will be doing. After that it will be work on DSLR's only. I have the Leica tool to adjust the vertical alignment on the M4-P but something is not right, as I cannot get the eccentric pin on the tool to engage with the alignment fork. The M4-P fell to the ground 18 months ago at a neighbour's daughter's wedding, when a drunken youth knocked our table over, luckily without damaging my 35 ASPH Chrome Summilux but the vertical alignment was jarred a fraction out of true and just enough to annoy me. 

Wilson

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

As I don't have that much room the old Rolleiflex had to leave but the Rolleicord will stay for some sentimental mood and memories.

the Reflex-Korelle has some flaws but I have an adapter to M42/Pentax-screwmount and can shoot here lenses (have some more) on a digital body.

• Like 7

The appearance of the Reflex Korelle above has encouraged me to post this group photo which I have been meaning to do for some time. This is a group of 1930s German cameras all of which have Leitz Elmar lenses in Compur or Compur derived mounts. This was the 'L Mount' of its day which allowed camera manufacturers to give their customers a choice of lenses. Leitz was in the business of supplying lens to this market for a short time. Generally there was not really a premium for the Leitz lenses whose reputation would have been no better at that time than that of Zeiss, Schneider, Meyer etc lenses. Examples of these cameras (see details below the photo) with Leitz lenses fetch higher prices today because of their rarity and the perceived desirability of lenses made by the company that produced the Leica

The cameras above from the left are as follows:

1. Kochmann Korelle K with Leitz Elmar 3.5 cm f3.5 lens. This is by far the rarest item here. I bought the camera separately from the tiny 3.5cm f 3.5 Leitz Elmar which I got later. I will ask my CLA guy to do some work on this when I can meet up with him. The lens has its own tiny focus mount and does not rely on a bellows or separate helicoid. The little Korelle K is made from bakelite and it is 35mm half frame format. Korelles with Elmars are extremely rare with a few 3.5 cms being seen, no examples of a 5cm and just one or two 7.5 cms, one of which is in the Leica Museum. 

2. Nagel Pupille with 5cm f 3.5 Leitz Elmar.  The Pupille has a large, for its size, helicoid and will focus down to 0.7 metre. This one has the rare detachable accessory foot. The camera is 127 format.

3. Nagel Vollenda with 5cm f3.5 Leitz Elmar. This is focussed via a bellows and a scale on top of the Compur mount. It is also 127 format and for me it is the simplest and nicest camera to use in this group.

4. Nagel Pupille as at 2, but with a Leitz FOFER rangefinder in an accessory shoe. My FOFER is the standard one going down to 1 metre. There is a rare special version of the FOFER marked N which goes down to 0.7 metre. I am looking around for one. Most of the N FOFERs I have seen are in feet , whereas I need one marked in metres.

5. Welta Weltini II with Leitz 5cm f3.5 Elmar. This one takes 35 mm film and is beautifully built. It has, however, quite eccentric handling features, a bit like my father's Super Baldina from the same time period. Both of those cameras need a lot of practice to master them.

There are other cameras from the period with Leitz Elmar lenses and some are quite rare and expensive. There are also some medium format cameras with longer focal length lenses made by Leitz eg 10.5cm. I have an example of the 10.5 cm lens which I intend to use with a large format camera.

I would love to hear from members who have examples of any of these cameras, particularly as regards using them to shoot film.

William

Edited by willeica
  • Like 6

I should have mentioned that the 3 127 format Nagel Cameras in the photo above are all half frame, giving 16 images on a roll of 127 film. The cameras have 2 red windows on the back and the frame number is wound until it appears in one window and exposed and then wound across to the second window for the second exposure.

William 

• Like 1

Willeica's  interesting contribution above, offered the occasion to dive in my archives on search for both Elmar equiped not-Leica cameras and Compur shutters.

First, I fully agree that Leitz reputation did certainly not benefit from this "use" of their star optic,  even if chosen by the customers.

Second, what I immediately discovered belong - from my point of view at least - to the "kaviar" part of my Fontenelle collection, and has thus not his place here. But I refuse to consider I worked for nothing, so I will nevertheless offer two of my discoveries.

The first is conventiomally an Elmar-equiped Nagel Pupille, complete with "N" marked FOFER as illustrated by willeica, BUT the very rare version with French engraved disc.

What follows is the "Compur Leica", or more precisely the two versions of same, with "dial" (serial 6130) or "rim" (serial 21617) Compur. As a Leitz representative told me when examining the serial 6110 I had just bought, the company had - scarcely - responded to a demand by then fanatics (or used to?) Compur system, and considered it was the contrary of their specific system. Anyhow, you have right to four "kaviar" images !

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Pecole said:

Willeica's  interesting contribution above, offered the occasion to dive in my archives on search for both Elmar equiped not-Leica cameras and Compur shutters.

First, I fully agree that Leitz reputation did certainly not benefit from this "use" of their star optic,  even if chosen by the customers.

Second, what I immediately discovered belong - from my point of view at least - to the "kaviar" part of my Fontenelle collection, and has thus not his place here. But I refuse to consider I worked for nothing, so I will nevertheless offer two of my discoveries.

The first is conventiomally an Elmar-equiped Nagel Pupille, complete with "N" marked FOFER as illustrated by willeica, BUT the very rare version with French engraved disc.

What follows is the "Compur Leica", or more precisely the two versions of same, with "dial" (serial 6130) or "rim" (serial 21617) Compur. As a Leitz representative told me when examining the serial 6110 I had just bought, the company had - scarcely - responded to a demand by then fanatics (or used to?) Compur system, and considered it was the contrary of their specific system. Anyhow, you have right to four "kaviar" images !

Thanks Pierre. I have a nice case for the Pupille, but it only takes the accessory foot and two filters, not the FOFER. The Depth of Field dials are in German on my examples, but the cameras are so small that the accessory shoe for the FOFER partially hides the dial.

I agree that the Leica Compur really ran against the design philosophy of Leica cameras generally and had issues involving the possibility of inadvertent double exposures. It is partially because of the design of a means to avoid such happening that the Welta Weltini II is so difficult to use. In a sense the normal Leica with a wind on and shutter charging combined was the perfect design for the avoidance of this.

William

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Made my first steps to LF and serious photography with this Technika some decades ago, but the camera was oldfashioned at that time and the Heliar even more 😉

• Like 6

A very late Rolleiflex T

“white face” Xenar

• Like 8

Can't remember if I showed these two before.

The Little and Large of Rollei.

Will post some photos from these two taken earlier this year.

William

• Like 6

My previous post refers.

Firstly a photo from the Rolleiflex E with 75mm f 3.5 Zeiss Planar

And then one from the Rollei 35 with 40mm f3.5 Tessar. The lens which is a good performer is probably a copy made for Rollei.

The 120 film will always show more detail than 35mm, the film equivalent of more megapixels, I suppose. In use, each camera has its own 'charms'.

William

• Like 7

Rollei 35 remains as a one of the most brilliant designs by German photo industry ... and in the same era,  here's one of the less brilliant (or... unlucky, anyway... 🙄)

• Like 5

vor 33 Minuten schrieb luigi bertolotti:

Rollei 35 remains as a one of the most brilliant designs by German photo industry ... and in the same era,  here's one of the less brilliant (or... unlucky, anyway... 🙄)

but the lenses are superb - and can be adapted

• Like 3

Yashica 35. Rangefinder camera looking a bit like a Contax. Fixed 45mm f1.9 lens with leaf shutter. Working ok though the shutter is running about a stop slow. Results quite acceptable.

copy of a darkroom print.

• Like 9