Slim lens cap (rear mount)?

Robert Blanko

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Howdy,

Today I received my Marco Elmar and I was wondering whether there are slim rear lens caps available? 🤔

As apparent from the photo, the original lens cap unnecessarily increases the size of the 90 macro dwarf:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I don't think that we can link to eBay but if you put in the following as a search you should see what was produced in the past: Leica M Shallow Lens Cap. I assume it should fit.

• Like 1

The old one's are slimmer:

They were listed with catalogue no. 14051 or as IZQOO. You'll probably find them on the second hand market.

• Like 1

KEH in Atlanta often lists original Leica Leitz shallow rear lens caps, e.g., this one currently (with the three lugs which help in removing an LTM to M adaptor stuck on the camera's mounting flange):

https://www.keh.com/shop/leica-m-leica-plastic-thin-rear-lens-cap-229864.html

If buying an original Leica Leitz shallow cap from an ebay seller you should query the seller to ensure that the grey inner ring is properly set, i.e., not loose.

There are also third-party sellers of shallow metal rear lens caps for M mounts.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pgk said:

I don't think that we can link to eBay but if you put in the following as a search you should see what was produced in the past: Leica M Shallow Lens Cap. I assume it should fit.

There are lower profile shiny plastic with grey insert M lens caps from the 1950s which sometimes turn up. Also even further back there were low profile LTM caps just before lenses became coupled. I would not have the remotest idea where low profile modern rear caps might be sourced. As far as I know Leica has had a 'one size fits all' policy on rear lens caps for some years now.

William

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, UliWer said:

The old one's are slimmer:

They were listed with catalogue no. 14051 or as IZQOO. You'll probably find them on the second hand market.

2 minutes ago, johnkunstadter said:

KEH in Atlanta often lists original Leica Leitz shallow rear lens caps, e.g., this one currently (with the three lugs which help in removing an LTM to M adaptor stuck on the camera's mounting flange):

https://www.keh.com/shop/leica-m-leica-plastic-thin-rear-lens-cap-229864.html

If buying an original Leica Leitz shallow cap from an ebay seller you should query the seller to ensure that the grey inner ring is properly set, i.e., not loose.

There are also third-party sellers of shallow metal rear lens caps for M mounts.

These are the ones that I was talking about. I have a few with grey plastic claws for the M bayonets. The little tabs at the back are useful for removing LTM adapters.

William

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The newly released Thambar has a shallower back cap made of brass, it has an internal plastic insert and is quite heavy for a cap.  This is similar to the cap  IZQOO.  

It will fit many lenses but not all, the 21mm, 24mm Summilux have rear lenses that extend further than the cap will allow, iirc.

https://leicastoremiami.com/products/leica-replacement-rear-lens-cap-for-thambar-m-90mm-f-2-2?variant=7334546145324

• Like 1

In addition to the above good solutions, you can 3D print (or have 3D printed) slim ones. Also, I designed my own double sided one that fits within the space of a standard one, suits my purposes, 3D printed it and works well.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

I recently acquired 3D-printed lens caps which seem to be as shallow as possible (thanks to Simon Forster). Now the 90 Macro Elmar has a light weight rear lens cap which matches its small size... 🙂  Don't understand that Leica does not pay attention to said detail.

• Like 1