Leica R 35/1.4

dkCambridgeshire

A bit on the bargain side ($UKP 4K = $AUD 7.3K).  Was looking on eBay this morning and found only one, for $AUD 8K…

Bought mine for a far more reasonable price back in September 2017 and DAG recalibrated the elements to make them on-spec.  Has gone up 40% in price since 😧

Edited by AZN
  • Thanks 1

You really have to want this lens. I found the focus throw too long for my tastes, and difficult on the R system to nail focus. I think the look at 1.4 is Leica-glow-exceptional, but it's a challenge to use, very heavy too. All that said, when you get a great shot you may feel accomplished -- or lucky! As they say, it's better to be lucky than talented. Best if you are both.

Dean

• Thanks 1

Makes my 35 ROM Summicron look like a bargain. I got a very nice condition one last year at around £600. I keep meaning to sell my 35mm 2 cam Elmarit as being surplus to requirements. I am wondering now that I have the excellent 21-35, that I might as well sell my 21mm/4  3 cam Super Angulon and 24mm ROM Elmarit as well, since I cannot see them being much used now, other than maybe the Super Angulon on my Leicaflex SL2. 

Wilson

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I first entered the R system in 2003 with a new R9, I bought this lens new along with  a 90/2 AA ROM. I thought I ought to have one lens for available light and fast film, as well as to have the capacity for low depth of field. But my interests developed towards architecture, where, using a tripod, and needing more often than not a lot of depth of field, I used it less and less. I had also acquired a 21-35 zoom, as an "ex demo"at a very good price. (To this day I'm convinced it was brand new.) Then I went digital with an M240 + adapter +  EVF2 and also got a lovely new Summarit 35/2.4 M. So I sold the 35/1.4 R rom for somewhat more than I'd paid for it. It was originally conceived as a reportage lens, where its wide open vignetting and corner softness don't really matter. So I completely agree with Dean that these days  you have to want or need this lens, otherwise maybe let the videographers make best use of it.

John, 

Of course most videographers only use 24 x 18mm, so the corner softness would be outside the frame and of no concern. I presume the 35/1.4-R is analogous to the 11780 pre-ASPH Summilux-M, which never seemed to gather a big fan following, in spite of it being one of Mandler's lenses. 

Wilson

30 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

John, 

Of course most videographers only use 24 x 18mm, so the corner softness would be outside the frame and of no concern. I presume the 35/1.4-R is analogous to the 11780 pre-ASPH Summilux-M, which never seemed to gather a big fan following, in spite of it being one of Mandler's lenses. 

Wilson

Wilson,

Yes indeed, corner softness wouldn't be a problem for videographers (or DMR users for that matter). The 35/1.4 R is non-aspherical, but with 10 elements in 9 groups, and employing floating element technology. I think it was announced at a Photokina around 1994. So it doesn't really compare closely with any of the 35/1.4 M designs. It's quite a big, heavy brute to be honest!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, masjah said:

The 35/1.4 R is non-aspherical, but with 10 elements in 9 groups, and employing floating element technology

I use mine for stills.  At f2 it is really quite good.  Still get the Mandler softness/ glow, but everything is much sharper.  Like any photography you really need good light to make it shine, but when it does then it's just… wow.

That's the good news, the bad news is that it isn't a landscape lens.  Too much field curvature.  The much cheaper & compact & lighter Leica Elmarit-R 35mm f/2.8 is much better here.  My copy is a little odd, as it has ROM contacts.  Must have been sent back to Leica to be updated by its previous owner.

Nevertheless, really enjoy my R luxes (35, 50E60, 80). Mandler really got it right - sharp where it needs to be and smooth where it doesn't 🙃

• Like 4