Summilux 28 - Partner?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

47 minutes ago, Steven said:

Hey @BJohn, we saved you time. We chose the 50 Lux ASPH for you ! 

❤️

1 hour ago, insideline said:

I agree Steven, I would land on one new 50 to go with the 28 1.4 Lux. If he prefers the more artistic look then the new 1.2 Noctilux, best all rounder 50 1.4 APSH Summilux, cleanest and most pure optically in and out of focus rendering, the 50 APO. For me its the new 1.2 Noctilux matched with the 28 1.4 Summilux. Now if I can just figure out what to do with the other 22 M lenses I own and my deep curiosity for the 24 1.4 Summilux.............

I am very glad that I get so much input here in this forum.

@Steven definitely got a point here regarding the Lux. Somehow I lust for the Noctilux 1.2 but I really think, scrolling through my instagram, that the dreamy special look may not be the desired lens.

Yeah I am really happy with the 28 Lux! Having a lot of lenses is somehow satisfying and gives me more than money in stocks or some nifty expensive car. Nonetheless, having to decide which gem to take with me - and I really don't have that much spare time to release the shutter on my M - is somewhat mentally exhaustive.

10 minutes ago, BJohn said:

❤️

I am very glad that I get so much input here in this forum.

@Steven definitely got a point here regarding the Lux. Somehow I lust for the Noctilux 1.2 but I really think, scrolling through my instagram, that the dreamy special look may not be the desired lens.

Yeah I am really happy with the 28 Lux! Having a lot of lenses is somehow satisfying and gives me more than money in stocks or some nifty expensive car. Nonetheless, having to decide which gem to take with me - and I really don't have that much spare time to release the shutter on my M - is somewhat mentally exhaustive.

Even though I own most of the more collectible Leica lenses if someone said to me "you have to take a run for it and there's only room for two lenses" I would be hard pressed to decide, but if I were to be really honest it would be the 28 1.4 Summilux and the black chrome 50 1.4 APSH Summilux, as between these two lenses anyone would be pretty much set for wherever and whatever environment and circumstances and both would be incredibly fun and enjoyable. 

I had some time to think about the decision and even read some sophisticated summaries from reidreviews! I came to the conclusion that @Steven is about right: the Lux 50 matches perfectly what I want, even leaving money aside. So the 2nd lens will be the Lux 50! Thanks for all the feedback and little brainstorming :)

Posted (edited)
On 3/8/2021 at 5:55 PM, BJohn said:

Hi there,

I am currently thinking about the best companion to my Summilux-M 28. I used to own the Lux 50 and the APO 50 as well. I am kind of struggling between these two and also the Noctilux 50 / 1.2. Still, although I love the bokeh (from what I've seen on the web so far) of the Noctilux 50 and also the Lux 50, I still think that the APO 50 accompanies the Summilux-M 28 best, in terms of color rendition and modern look. What do you guys think, what would be the best pick two keep a consistent look across the lenses.

Cheers!

I went across your photos on Instagram and your website just a few minutes ago.
I would say that you can handle any lens in your hands.
Just choose whatever you like the most from your gut feeling and have fun.

Edited by Erato
  • 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

The 50mm Apo was my favorite lens so far. But since I bought the 28mm Summilux, I am not so sure anymore about my preferences. The Lux is so gorgeous and I much prefer 28mm over 35mm as my principle wide angle. Sold my 35mm Summicron  a year ago because I did not feel happy with that focal length. So I do not lust for the 35mm Apo for the time being. Nonetheless I ask myself whether I could even sell the 50 Apo and crop pics taken with the 28mm Lux. That's what Q shooters do. Two days ago I did some test shots with both lenses on my M10 P. Pics seem to me only slightly different. Both lenses are similar in terms of sharpness and colour rendering, with the 50 delivering just a bit more blurred background over the wider focal length. First pic is the original size with 28 at f1.4, second pic is the cropped version, last pic is shot with the 50mm Apo at f2.  Would be interesting to add a 50mm Summilux asph shot at f1.4. - Of course I won't sell the 50 Apo. It's just so good.

Edited by zupfgeiger